This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
A place called Lytton in British Columbia, Canada, reported 116F yesterday.

I looked it up. It's about 70 miles NE, crowflight distance from Vancouver. Somebody told me Canada had never seen 116F ever, in the entire country.

Oh man, there's a lot of suffering in this heat.

PS. As I write this, some places near Lytton still report 117F today, right at this moment.

Last edited:
Just dropped out of the oppressive heat in the Seattle area today.
While we were not as high as some regions of the PNW we were
well over 100.
I suspect as I write many are in the process of putting in central
air. The HVAC companies are slammed. I’ll be adding this as well.

Today is pleasant in Seattle, 20+ degrees less than yesterday. I walked to the grocery store yesterday (it’s a short walk) and it felt like I was in a sauna. At least it was a dry heat, unlike what I experienced over the last couple of weeks in the south. Glad it’s over.

We had AC to help us get through it. Window and portable AC. They ran non-stop and it was still warm, but they made it much more bearable.

Somebody'd better plan to put in more power generation and distribution assets to meet the increase in AC next year, after more people rushing to install AC.

Avista Utilities, an electric & gas company serving the Spokane and Coeur d'Alene, today said it had to implement rolling blackouts due to insufficient electric power.

Last edited:
I did worry about blackouts. The breaker for the upstairs bedrooms tripped. At first I thought we were completely out of power and was relieved that it was only the breaker.

Still not sure why it tripped. I unplugged a couple of devices to minimize use on that circuit afterwards and luckily it didn’t happen again.

If you don’t have a generator, then you could always go the in car and hope the outage doesn’t last that long. Makes me think one of those EVs that can be used as a generator might be a worthwhile investment someday.

They are really suffering out there!

I just checked Beaverton, OR (Portland suburb) on wunderground dot com since my DD lives there. Luckily today's high in Beaverton was only 92, much better than the 112-115 that they saw yesterday.

Here in New Orleans it's a balmy 81F, with 72% humidity. High today was 93F. My Trane central AC system is not working very hard today and I even got cold and had to turn the thermostat up to 74. After that it cycled off for a half hour until it warmed up to 74 inside the house.

Although it's really too far out to predict, forecasters are tentatively warning of the possibility of a hurricane headed our way next week (one of the two disturbances that came off of Africa and began heading west across the North Atlantic recently).

In British Columbia, 230 deaths have been blamed on the horrific heat.

Lytton, BC, reached 116F yesterday (Sun 6/28/2021). Today, it reached 117.5F.

Here are my best ideas of how to stay cool without AC (all tested by W2R twice during hot summers here, when AC broke and I was too cheap/thrifty/frugal to get it repaired right away). It was not 115 but over 100.

• Wear only skimpy, light clothing if any.
  • Keep a glass of ice water at hand at all times, and drink lots of it to cool your body off from the inside out.
  • Every hour, go stand in a cool shower. Then go sit under a fan.
  • Turn on fans if you have any.
  • Be a couch potato.
  • No hot foods, only cold foods.
  • Close curtains and blinds to keep the sun/heat out as much as possible

N.B. The first and last items in the above list are to be implemented together. :cool:

N.B. The first and last items in the above list are to be implemented together. :cool:

:ROFLMAO: :2funny: Good point!

Dang! 121 degrees in British Columbia! https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/06/30/canada-record-heat-experts-react/

I emailed a friend in Victoria a couple of days ago asking how it was. Haven’t heard back.
That's insanely hot! Hope your friend is OK.

And yet here, it's been average or a little cooler than usual. OK, maybe not today, it's 95F right now. Anyway my DD refuses to live here because of the heat, and yet lately it's often been hotter in Oregon (where she is) than it is here.

In British Columbia, 230 deaths have been blamed on the horrific heat.

Lytton, BC, reached 116F yesterday (Sun 6/28/2021). Today, it reached 117.5F.

Dang! 121 degrees in British Columbia! https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/06/30/canada-record-heat-experts-react/

I emailed a friend in Victoria a couple of days ago asking how it was. Haven’t heard back.

That was Lytton again. Breaking its own record 3 days in a row. Yikes!

Not too bad here really, compared to what others are dealing with. 94°F now, but dropping rapidly as a cold front comes through and we'll get rain for the next several days. The rain is needed, it is getting pretty dry.

Here comes Elsa... It will be interesting to see how this long range forecast (track and intensity) compares to what the storm really does over the next ~week...

From the NHC: FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 01/0900Z 9.4N 48.8W 35 KT 40 MPH
12H 01/1800Z 10.3N 52.0W 40 KT 45 MPH
24H 02/0600Z 11.7N 56.7W 50 KT 60 MPH
36H 02/1800Z 13.2N 61.8W 50 KT 60 MPH
48H 03/0600Z 14.9N 66.9W 55 KT 65 MPH
60H 03/1800Z 16.7N 71.2W 55 KT 65 MPH
72H 04/0600Z 18.0N 74.5W 50 KT 60 MPH
96H 05/0600Z 21.0N 79.5W 50 KT 60 MPH
120H 06/0600Z 24.5N 82.0W 55 KT 65 MPH

Elsa is the earliest-known fifth named storm on record for the Atlantic basin in the satellite era (1966-present), breaking the record formerly held by Edouard on July 6, 2020.

085512_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Last edited:
Here comes Elsa... It will be interesting to see how this long range forecast (track and intensity) compares to what the storm really does over the next ~week...

From the NHC: FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 01/0900Z 9.4N 48.8W 35 KT 40 MPH
12H 01/1800Z 10.3N 52.0W 40 KT 45 MPH
24H 02/0600Z 11.7N 56.7W 50 KT 60 MPH
36H 02/1800Z 13.2N 61.8W 50 KT 60 MPH
48H 03/0600Z 14.9N 66.9W 55 KT 65 MPH
60H 03/1800Z 16.7N 71.2W 55 KT 65 MPH
72H 04/0600Z 18.0N 74.5W 50 KT 60 MPH
96H 05/0600Z 21.0N 79.5W 50 KT 60 MPH
120H 06/0600Z 24.5N 82.0W 55 KT 65 MPH

Elsa is the earliest-known fifth named storm on record for the Atlantic basin in the satellite era (1966-present), breaking the record formerly held by Edouard on July 6, 2020.

085512_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Yeah no forecast to turn into a hurricane. My area is currently in the cone.

Yeah no forecast to turn into a hurricane. My area is currently in the cone.
Hopefully it will stay below hurricane strength and not stall out over land somewhere... I've seen slow moving TS's do more damage than fast moving hurricanes. Once it's in the Gulf we will see if it is drawn towards 29.95° N, 90.07° W, like so many storms seem to be.

Last edited:
Hopefully it will stay below hurricane strength and not stall out over land somewhere... I've seen slow moving TS's do more damage than fast moving hurricanes. Once it's in the Gulf we will see if it is drawn towards 29.95° N, 90.07° W, like so many storms seem to be.
Hope not! We were in the cone for 8 of them last year, although IIRC we only got one (Hurricane Zeta). That one was not as bad as some, and TBH it was a really cool experience to be right in the middle of a hurricane's eye.

It seems awfully early to figure out what this storm is or isn't going to do, or where it is going. For the next few days we will be casually keeping an eye on the storm now and then, but will pay more attention if/when it enters the Gulf of Mexico.

Yesterday, I saw that New Yorkers were given an advance warning about power brownouts due to the heat. I have not seen anything today, so they may have dodged a bullet.

Here in AZ, the National Weather Service says there's a good chance we will get a wetter than normal monsoon season this year. How about that?

No rain yet down in the Valley of the Heat, but I just checked the personal weather stations near my high-country home. They got a good rain of 1/4" yesterday afternoon. That's good for the trees, and the firefighters.

PS. Temperature up there is 79F, with a humidity of 10%. Very nice. Too bad we cannot be there.

Last edited:
Well so much for the strength forecast... It's already a Hurricane. Tracking seems to be holding pretty well.

Well so much for the strength forecast... It's already a Hurricane. Tracking seems to be holding pretty well.

Hoping that the Euro model which tends to be the most accurate is correct, as it forecasts the hurricane dissipating in the Caribbean.

^^^^^^ That would be nice.

This one is moving along at a pretty good clip right now. (28mph) It looks like they have it dropping back to a TS in a few days as it approaches the big islands and then staying that way while in the Gulf... We will see....

I just learned the town of Lytton, BC, burned all down yesterday.

What misfortune, after setting 3 consecutive records of extreme heat up to 121F, to be capped with total ruin right on Canada Day!

I just learned the town of Lytton, BC, burned all down yesterday.

On Monday I talked with a former neighbor who now lives in Kamloops. He was telling me about how Lytton, a little town near them had set the all time record high for Canada. Really surprised by the news about the fire.

I understand the population is around 250 and the fire was moving so fast most folks left with nothing but what they were wearing.

Seems like Elsa's predicted track might be edging slightly eastward now.

Attachments

• Elsa.png
    Elsa.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom