This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a dream job, or what? I am so envious. I cannot imagine seeing my boss dressed like that at work, much less wearing them myself.

We have the same weather as you, today. It's supposed to hit 61, and it is clear and sunny.

On m previous job, the one I just left in Louisiana & moved to Wisconsin for, I wore shorts whenever I wanted to, which was probably 75% of the year. Yep, shorts & T shirts. What a deal! Then, I took leave of my senses and chose to move to Wisconsin just in time for this great winter weather. I lived in the south all 50 years of my life and never even laid eyes upon a snowblower, snow shovels or any of those other things. Now, I own a new Toro snowblower, 2 snow shovels, ice cleats for my boots (pack boots which I never even heard of) and I had to buy bags of sand to throw in back of my truck for extra traction, plus I have bags of rock salt in my garage to help melt ice in the driveway & sidewalks. Yesterday, when I tried to get into my garage, I only got 1/2 way up and then started spinning. No traction. I had to roll backwards into the street & get a running start to make it to the top. This morning on the way to work, I slid right past the turn to go to my job. Had to go on down the road another 1/2 mile, turn around & come back. Yep...I must be outta my mind!:duh:

On m previous job, the one I just left in Louisiana & moved to Wisconsin for, I wore shorts whenever I wanted to, which was probably 75% of the year. Yep, shorts & T shirts. What a deal! Then, I took leave of my senses and chose to move to Wisconsin just in time for this great winter weather. I lived in the south all 50 years of my life and never even laid eyes upon a snowblower, snow shovels or any of those other things. Now, I own a new Toro snowblower, 2 snow shovels, ice cleats for my boots (pack boots which I never even heard of) and I had to buy bags of sand to throw in back of my truck for extra traction, plus I have bags of rock salt in my garage to help melt ice in the driveway & sidewalks. Yesterday, when I tried to get into my garage, I only got 1/2 way up and then started spinning. No traction. I had to roll backwards into the street & get a running start to make it to the top. This morning on the way to work, I slid right past the turn to go to my job. Had to go on down the road another 1/2 mile, turn around & come back. Yep...I must be outta my mind!:duh:

The joys of winter in the North . My favorite is getting out of bed to turn your car on so it will defrost by the time you leave for work . Of course sometimes you have to crank them a few times to start or in real awful weather keep the battery charger on all night .

The thing that bugs me about the weather report on our local station is that they've now gone to a seven-day forecast. Even the forecast for the next day is usually wrong, so it's insulting that they show a seven-day chart.
Exactly! Most of the weather [-]forecasters[/-] guessers that I see and hear on TV and radio, couldn't even get yesterday's forecast correct...if they gave it today...after the fact!

So, now I refuse to watch or listen to those whizz kids. When the weather comes on during the newscast, I get up and leave the room.....go raid the refrigerator, go to the restroom, look out the window in the other room, anything but listen to their drivel. Besides, now I don't imitate my Dad.....you know....arguing with those on TV and/or yelling at them, telling them that I think they're a bunch of morons, etc. :rant: ....... :D

Is that a dream job, or what? I am so envious. I cannot imagine seeing my boss dressed like that at work, much less wearing them myself.

We have the same weather as you, today. It's supposed to hit 61, and it is clear and sunny.
I would be wearing them except its cold. And the humidity is up.

However, when VIPs from New York and visit, we all have to wear pants.

Exactly! Most of the weather [-]forecasters[/-] guessers that I see and hear on TV and radio, couldn't even get yesterday's forecast correct...if they gave it today...after the fact!

So, now I refuse to watch or listen to those whizz kids. When the weather comes on during the newscast, I get up and leave the room.....go raid the refrigerator, go to the restroom, look out the window in the other room, anything but listen to their drivel. Besides, now I don't imitate my Dad.....you know....arguing with those on TV and/or yelling at them, telling them that I think they're a bunch of morons, etc. :rant: ....... :D
I figure that they are accurate out to about 48 hours. That is still better than those who try to predict what the market will do the next day (it will fluctuate).

:2funny:

:2funny:

Is that a dream job, or what? I am so envious. I cannot imagine seeing my boss dressed like that at work...
One of my assignments, where the line troops could dress however they wanted, had conflicting rules about what supervisors could wear. I questioned the collared shirt rule and lost, but I countered with, "Well, what about shorts? Can I wear shorts?"

That lasted a couple of days until the CO saw me on the elevator one afternoon. Years of football, wrestling, running, etc., gave me what have been called "Popeye Calves". I guess he could not appreciate the look.

Some jokester, who should have been taking photos for evidence, captured me in my bare legged splendor and posted it on the in-house "Wall of Shame".

(The setting is a crack house on a hot Houston Summer afternoon, and the shirt had a collar.)

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 6
The setting is a crack house on a hot Houston Summer afternoon, and the shirt had a collar.
Kinda tough to blend in with the clientele...

I think this is why the U.S. Navy got rid of the "Tropical White Shorts" uniform. Either that or it was wearing the white knee socks and having to carry a stick to hold back the hot chicks.

Kinda tough to blend in with the clientele...

I think this is why the U.S. Navy got rid of the "Tropical White Shorts" uniform. Either that or it was wearing the white knee socks and having to carry a stick to hold back the hot chicks.

I was wondering if they still had that uniform (a relative is a retired Navy Officer).

This morning I had to scrape ice off my windshield. This was not just a light layer of ice, but ICE that took plenty of elbow grease to remove even with the heater on.

Odd how water freezes at 40 degrees F, our low for last night. :rolleyes: Yes, my car was outside but the wind is reported at 0.0 mph right now with a maximum of 1.0 mph for the day so far.

Am I going to miss New Orleans' milder climate when we retire in southern Missouri? No. First, it's not like we get zero snow and ice down here, and second, I won't be up at 5:30 AM scraping my windshield as fast as I can, so that I can get to work on time.

This morning I had to scrape ice off my windshield. This was not just a light layer of ice, but ICE that took plenty of elbow grease to remove even with the heater on.

Odd how water freezes at 40 degrees F, our low for last night. :rolleyes: Yes, my car was outside but the wind is reported at 0.0 mph right now with a maximum of 1.0 mph for the day so far.

Am I going to miss New Orleans' milder climate when we retire in southern Missouri? No. First, it's not like we get zero snow and ice down here, and second, I won't be up at 5:30 AM scraping my windshield as fast as I can, so that I can get to work on time.
I pulled a back muscle years ago when I sneezed while scraping ice off my windhsield in a rush to get to w*rk. It took months to feel better, and I was in my 30s at the time. :p
A helpful suggestion - there is a spray window de-icer that you can get in automotive stores to melt ice quickly vs wrecking your hands and upper body. It does not hurt the car finish.

I pulled a back muscle years ago when I sneezed while scraping ice off my windhsield in a rush to get to w*rk. It took months to feel better, and I was in my 30s at the time. :p
A helpful suggestion - there is a spray window de-icer that you can get in automotive stores to melt ice quickly vs wrecking your hands and upper body. It does not hurt the car finish.

Thanks! Never heard of it before. That might come in handy at some point.

We are expecting colder and colder weather for the rest of the week, so I guess I will set my alarm clock (sorry for the bad language) earlier in order to deal with the ice.

We are expecting colder and colder weather for the rest of the week, so I guess I will set my alarm clock (sorry for the bad language) earlier in order to deal with the ice.
YW. :D we keep a can in each car.
for normal ice, spray it on thin and all over the glass to loosen up ice. a little goes a long way.
let it sit for 5 minutes, and voila, scrape the ice off oh-so-easily. thicker ice may take a second all over spray application.
a cornucopia of de-icer products
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...motive&hvadid=22865886&ref=pd_sl_3fxbw2ovff_e

walmart and any auto parts store carries it.

They also make a tarp that will cover the windshield of the car (in car parts stores). It is held on with magnets. Or you could make your own with some magnets and very light (old plastic bags or the thin stuff you can pick up at the exits in Lowe's or HD - if you wanted it to be disposable (and not very green)). Just cover the WS when you expect icing and remove it when you leave.

Interesting! I never heard of any of these methods for dealing with windshield ice. Knowledge is a good thing, and might save me some work in the dark and cold early mornings. Thanks to both of you. :D

Up in Wisconsin, we're expecting at least -30 windchills later this week. It's a mild 1 degree with -16 wind chill right now. We had 4 inches of snow last night which was heavily salted and melted just in time for the temps to drop 20 degrees so the roads can freeze before we get another 3-4 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow morning. Love winter:rolleyes:

This morning I had to scrape ice off my windshield. This was not just a light layer of ice, but ICE that took plenty of elbow grease to remove even with the heater on....

.......I won't be up at 5:30 AM scraping my windshield as fast as I can, so that I can get to work on time.
I have remote start on both cars, so I just make sure that I leave the defroster set on the highest temp and fan settings before I get out of the car. That way in the morning, or evening, or whenever I get ready to head out, I just hit the remote and let the car warm up for a little bit before I go out to get into it. I haven't had to scrape ice (heavy or otherwise in years! Granted it burns a few extra ounces of gas, but it saves the wear & tear on ME! ;)

Also, before Winter sets in, I siphon out any remaining regular windshield washer fluid into a plastic jug to set aside until Spring. And I refill the washer canister with "Prestone De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid" (it's yellow stuff, not blue, so it's easy to spot on the store shelves). The blue stuff freezes up when it hits the cold windshield, if it hasn't already frozen up in the windshield washer lines so that it won't even spray onto the windshield. The Prestone stuff doesn't freeze up (at least it hasn't during our IL Winters), and it easily melts the frost and ice that's on the windshield.

I sure do miss those days of having to get up at 5:00 a.m. to get ready to head out into the Arctic blast to go to work! Yeah, right! :D Last year I think I only set my alarm clock about 5 or 6 times....and most of those times were 'cause I had to catch the bus to go on trips! I gotta set it again in 4 weeks & 4 days......the day I head off to Florida!!! :D

I can hardly wait until I don't have to set that alarm clock! I could use the extra sleep.

Goonie, thanks for the information about de-icer windshield washer fluid. I had never heard of that, either.

When I move to Missouri, I am going to insist on a nice two car attached garage. That should help a lot with the problem of having my windshield ice over. Besides, I have always wanted an attached garage with remote control. :D

My hometown was 39 below this morning. Here closer to the lake it was 23 below. The car tends to complain a bit at these temps so I am staying in. Cranked up the gas fireplace in the kitchen, which was down into the 50s this am.

My hometown was 39 below this morning. Here closer to the lake it was 23 below. The car tends to complain a bit at these temps so I am staying in. Cranked up the gas fireplace in the kitchen, which was down into the 50s this am.

Tell me about global warming again...

Really chilly here last night in mid 60s. Low of 62 tomorrow AM I hear. Brrrrrrr! Had to put on the comforter over the sheet. DW will probably use the hair dryer to warm up BR for our showers.

Supposed to arrive here in a few days, but only about -5F. City salt truck just came through in anticipation of ice/snow.

Supposed to arrive here in a few days, but only about -5F. City salt truck just came through in anticipation of ice/snow.

I would like to invite Al Gore up to my neck of the woods, so myself and my kids can throw him into a snowbank head first...........:D

Currently 45 degress in the flat part of TX. The fire ants are chilly....

Up in Wisconsin, we're expecting at least -30 windchills later this week. It's a mild 1 degree with -16 wind chill right now. We had 4 inches of snow last night which was heavily salted and melted just in time for the temps to drop 20 degrees so the roads can freeze before we get another 3-4 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow morning. Love winter:rolleyes:

I'm in Janesville, it's currently 3 degrees right now at 1:33 pm, probably won't get too much above that today. I love getting out in the driveway at 6am clearing the night deposit. The city has a fineable ordinance that says I better keep the sidewalks clear too. This morning was especially fun since the wind was whipping around from all directions and I kept getting a face full of snow no matter which way I tried to blow it. I didn't check the temp early this morning, but I'd guess it was below 0 or so. Yep, I love it! My '98 Ford F-150 with 160k miles is still starting & running like a champ...hopefully she'll keep going awhile longer. I realize it gets alot colder in some places, but this is about as much as I'd want to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom