This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a woman who in her 20's routinely drove 80+ miles round trip to/from work in any weather without a second thought.:( She says back then she was invincible.

I understand her point of view! Another factor is that back in our 20's, unlike now, most of us really had little or nothing to lose.

Low 70's today. Heading to my son's place which is on the river for wine and snacks soon:))

It has been sleeting most of the day and now light snow 26F. will get a bit lower in temp overnight. Introduction to winter in SW PA.

I look at Weather Underground. The forecast for today is and has been a little snow with no accumulation for all the surrounding communities. I have 6 inches of new snow on the ground and it is still snowing. It is supposed to be nice tomorrow. We will see.

Seeing that the bad weather has been the lead story the past few days made me wonder, do folks cancel their holiday travel plans and just decided to telecommute (using FaceTime or Skype) into the family Thanksgiving instead?

I'm staying home and already told some folks I'm just staying in this holiday. I feel sorry for the people going out to brave the messy weather and cancelled flights.

So we talk about the "Florida Man" in another thread.
This "Florida Man" will be going out for Thanksgiving in an expected 82 degrees.

We are getting a big snowstorm this afternoon and the mountains will have 90 mph winds. Yikes!

It's still early in the season for snow here. Today it was sunny and 65° F, tonight/tomorrow rain is forecast so I guess that's part of the overall weather everyone else is seeing. DW wants to cook the turkey tomorrow, and frankly I don't see any reason not to since we're not going anywhere anyway.

Ran the snowblower for the first time this season. Hadn't been long since I put it away in the Spring. Only a few inches but I don't know if it's going to thaw until May, 2020 so I wanted to get it cut correctly at the road. I had a dream about what happens if it's not right.

We only had a few inches and it's been in the 20s with windy gusts.

Finally got some snow at my house - 2 inches according to my neighbor. But I'm down south visiting family for Thanksgiving. Heck! Missed it again.

Wow, pouring rain/hail and wind right now!
Coming down so hard, I can barely see across the street!

Had some starter plants I grew from cuttings that i needed to repot. looked at the oak leaves on my deck and decided they were not enough to bother with. let my dog chase squirrels while I enjoyed an adult beverage .

Mid thirties and rainy. One of those cold wet miserable days when the best thing to do is stay inside with the heat turned up and drink lots of something hot.

When I was working on days like this the thought frequently came: "WTH were you thinking?"

3-4 sunny-ish days in the last couple of weeks, none of them warm. We’re done with this. We’re moving to the southwest.

We’ll roast in the summer instead. Oh, we do this here already...

The past few nights, the fog has been unusually thick here. Last night, as we were sitting in my den looking out through the French doors, we noticed that due to the thick fog it was impossible to even see the house behind mine! We were so glad that we did not need to drive anywhere.

The fog has pretty much burned off by now (10:30 AM).

Woke up to -7F, thought that's cold. Saw the local newspaper post the temperature in town had warmed up to -19F. That's cold.

29*, and 3" of new snow...commuting was far easier today (less slippery), than it was yesterday with a covering of ice on everything....can't wait to F.I.R.E. !

29*, and 3" of new snow...commuting was far easier today (less slippery), than it was yesterday with a covering of ice on everything....can't wait to F.I.R.E. !

Funny thing is that I hate bad weather more now in retirement than I did while w*rking. I always was at the office and the commuter was just part of the j*b. Now I really resent when bad weather traps me inside. This has been the only surprise in retirement. So we’re planning a big move to a place with retiree weather and scenery.

Coming back from camp, traveling over mountain, once passed 1800' elevation snow cover deepend and was icy at 2700'. Keppt it around 25 mph until got back to around 1500' when ice disapeared.

A front came through last night with thunderstorms all night.

Yesterday's high was 82F, which I loved.
Today's high will be 48F, a 34 degree drop in temperature. It's cloudy and ugly with a cold drizzle all day so far.

Yuck. :dead: Oh well, I suppose this is why I don't mind our hot weather in August and September. We know it will be gone soon enough.

Where I am, the daily high has been 60-70F. The nightly low has been in the 40s.

The solar array and the lithium battery have been enough to run the 1.5-ton minisplit around the clock. Its temperature setting is at 86F, and that is the highest it can be set to. However, due to the high location of the airhandler in a vaulted hallway, the temperature at chest high is only 72F, which is still comfortable but significantly lower than what the heatpump is seeing.

There's no easy way to stir up this stratified air. I guess I can place some ungainly fans at some spots.

Still, this free heating is not bad, considering that the central heat-pump has not been on.

We did get a couple of inches of snow but it was the heavy wet stuff, didn't stick to pavement much, and it's all almost gone by now. No effort required for snow removal, nature took care of that.

A front came through last night with thunderstorms all night.

Yesterday's high was 82F, which I loved.
Today's high will be 48F, a 34 degree drop in temperature. It's cloudy and ugly with a cold drizzle all day so far.

Yuck. :dead: Oh well, I suppose this is why I don't mind our hot weather in August and September. We know it will be gone soon enough.

The front is hitting us now. 83F today. Tomorrow will be 62F. Still.......

Be grateful you are not living in much of Australia this week.

South Australia Forecast Area Map

Click on the map in the link for Port Augusta - 47 degrees today and tomorrow, 48 degrees on Friday (and remember these temperatures are in Centigrade).

Add to the temperatures the wildfires and the smoke haze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom