Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
In South Florida there is a network of people at busy intersections that solicit funds. They have printed handouts (newsletters?) and carry large colored ids around their necks. They also wear t-shirts with the name of an organization that supports homeless.
I love to watch the turf wars when folks from Organization #1 bump into folks from Organizaion #2 on the same corner..........

Fortunately, streetside "begging turf" bounds are usually worked out between either organized crime or gang leaders preventing constant violence at the best spots.......

Independent "workers," such as a lone individual doing the homeless gig, aren't part of this and try to slip in and out quickly without getting their heads bashed by the organized folks.

I'm speaking of the Chicago area.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Many if not most of the homeless street beggars have mental problems.
If you smoked $200 worth of meth every day for 2 years, your brain would start to get a little fried, too.

I see it as a chicken/egg problem. How many of these "mentally ill" homeless people were mentally ill when they started? How many were actually relatively normal people who started doing drugs, then consequently lost everything and developed mental illnesses?

I give nothing, ever. The vast majority of them are where they are because of drugs. Moreover, the majority of crime is drug-related. People don't rob liquor stores to pay the rent. They do it to buy drugs. People don't rip the copper wiring out of half-built homes and pawn it for money to buy groceries. They do it for drugs. People don't get into fights in front of bars over political differences. They fight because they're drunk/high.

Imagine how much better the world would be without these taxing drains on society, consuming our resources at every level (legal, medical, commercial, penal) while contributing nothing in return. Such a waste.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I see it as a chicken/egg problem. How many of these "mentally ill" homeless people were mentally ill when they started? How many were actually relatively normal people who started doing drugs, then consequently lost everything and developed mental illnesses?
I don't know. How many?

When mental health was handed over to the states in the 1980s via block grants (and cut 25%), it led to many mentally ill people being kicked out of hospitals due to lack of funding. This has continued to this day.

Someone with schizophrenia isn't put into a hospital unless they are a threat to themselves or others. When they are no longer a threat, they're released. Consequently, if they don't have the money to cover treatment at a private facility, they will never get treatment. Unable to hold a job, they end up on the streets.

Quote:
Imagine how much better the world would be without these taxing drains on society, consuming our resources at every level (legal, medical, commercial, penal) while contributing nothing in return. Such a waste.
A lot of people, even those with jobs or ERed, contribute far less than they receive. Some are on this board. Such a waste.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
A lot of people, even those with jobs or ERed, contribute far less than they receive. Some are on this board. Such a waste.
You know as well as I do that there's an enormous difference between someone who was a productive member of society, contributing taxes and labor into an economy for 4 or 5 decades, and is simply collecting a few hundred dollars in SS every month, and a 25-year old serial drug abuser who's never held a steady job, paid any taxes, and goes from hospital to police car to courtroom to jail, over and over and over again.

The latter costs far, far more per month than the former.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #85

Quote:
You know as well as I do that there's an enormous difference between someone who was a productive member of society, contributing taxes and labor into an economy for 4 or 5 decades, and is simply collecting a few hundred dollars in SS every month, and a 25-year old serial drug abuser who's never held a steady job, paid any taxes, and goes from hospital to police car to courtroom to jail, over and over and over again.

Financially, perhaps, but morally and ethically? Sometimes it's a wash.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Just want to point out that the former make it up in volume...

(Just pulling your leg... not dissing you).....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post

Could you expand on that a bit? I'm curious where/what you define as "waste."
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday I walked the streets in jeans, a jean jacket, and several days of stubble on my face. I noticed that there were far fewer beggars asking me for money. I think they thought I was one of them.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yesterday I walked the streets in jeans, a jean jacket, and several days of stubble on my face. I noticed that there were far fewer beggars asking me for money. I think they thought I was one of them.
That will usually get you a better price on a new car also..
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The reason I did the brass Noo Yawker thing with this guy was based on something I learned from a retired cop who taught a self defense class.
Admit it, you just like playing the brash Noo Yawker. It is your inner freebird.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #91

Quote:
Financially, perhaps, but morally and ethically? Sometimes it's a wash.
You are kidding or being ironic? How can you possibly consider the moral or ethical situations to be even remotely comparable. A responsible member of society for decades made contributions and paid taxes, then needs some financial support when they are older is no where close to the ethical and moral waste of a long-term drug user who never held a steady job, never paid taxes, and will be supported directly or indirectly with expenses for police, prisons and drug treatment programs their entire life.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older

You are kidding or being ironic? How can you possibly consider the moral or ethical situations to be even remotely comparable. A responsible member of society for decades made contributions and paid taxes, then needs some financial support when they are older is no where close to the ethical and moral waste of a long-term drug user who never held a steady job, never paid taxes, and will be supported directly or indirectly with expenses for police, prisons and drug treatment programs their entire life.
All too true. Consider poor Alisa Rosenbaum, who was a popular author and quite the woman about town in her day. Alas, in spite of being objectively a very responsible person (as she'd tell you at the drop of a hat), in her later years she fell ill with a form of cancer, and had to rely on Medicare to cover the bills.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Maybe there should be a certification program for panhandlers. They have an interview and if they can show that have a legitimate reason for begging, they get a card that they can wear around their neck. I'm half serious.
The sign would say "Will play jazz keyboard for food!"

I'm half joking...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:08 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I remember a black guy running the "I need money for gas" scam. His trick was that the first thing he'd ask is "Are you prejudiced?" It put people on the defensive, and made them eager to prove that they weren't prejudiced by giving some money.
That would be an easy one to deal with. Just say YES!

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #95

I think we will be seeing more panhandlers in the future with the economy as bad as it is.

I think panhandling would be a good sideline for the ER types on this board. Sort of like going fishing or surfing...good exercise, meeting people, fresh air, tax free money, better deals on getting cars...and you go home at the end of the day, take a shower, watch TV, and post on this forum...
Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #96

I made a list with copies to hand out of all the places in the city that provide shelter and a meal for those in need. If they really need some help (and is not a scam) then this would be better than handing them a dollar.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I think we will be seeing more panhandlers in the future with the economy as bad as it is.

I think panhandling would be a good sideline for the ER types on this board. Sort of like going fishing or surfing...good exercise, meeting people, fresh air, tax free money, better deals on getting cars...and you go home at the end of the day, take a shower, watch TV, and post on this forum...

I think some of us should volunteer from our forum to do a little experiment. Try out this panhandling thing and see how much we could make (unless some of us here are already doing it like Dave says...) Then we can take a poll on the average "panhandling income".
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I made a list with copies to hand out of all the places in the city that provide shelter and a meal for those in need. If they really need some help (and is not a scam) then this would be better than handing them a dollar.

Cheers!
That's a great idea. And add all government assistance programs to it.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nords View Post
the sign would say "will play jazz keyboard for food!"

i'm half joking...
subwaysmaller.jpg
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I almost always give a buck or two when asked. I can afford it and it makes me feel good.

WWJGD, what would jerry garcia do.
I agree, grasshopper. Who cares what they do with it. It usually makes both parties happy. I had a guy come up to me once and he asked me if I had a buck so he could get a drink because he really needed it. I gladly handed him a couple dollars and boy did he have a grin. Made my day.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote