Thousands of teachers cited for sex misconduct

Wags

Full time employment: Posting here.
In USA today there is an article in which thousands of teachers have been cited for sexual misconduct. Thousands of teachers cited for sex misconduct - USATODAY.com

It is a sad :(state of affairs when one's children are not safe from the very people that are suppose to be looking out for their well being and education.

It appears that men teachers are treated more harshly by the justice system and that the women teachers are sometimes given lesser sentences.:(:bat:

One can only pray that this trend of sexual misconduct stops and that NO more of our children are molested by this individuals.

GOD BLESS:angel:

The greatest evil? media reporting. IMHO there is probably exactly the same % of twisted folks now as there was 10, 20, 50, 100 years ago. More reporting though, which results in greater sensitivity, which results in more reporting, ... I doubt that witch hunting will result in fewer molestors. Probably more people will get focused on who took pictures of their kids in the tub or splashing in a pool. Sad. No reduction in sickos, but innocent behavior gets proscribed. Do kids still sit on the department store Santa's lap? Pretty sure that should be banned! Sad.

I worry kids are being trained to be afraid of adults other than their parents, especially male adults.

It's pretty clear that USAToday is trying to sell papers with this prurient content. I'm not saying it should be ignored at the local level, but (according to the article) 2500 cases over 5 years equals an average of 500 cases/year over 3 million teachers. One bad apple in 6000? (Or fewer, since often the culprit has multiple victims?)

To me, it's not clear how one could ask for lower incident rates at a systemic level despite how sad it may be for those few kids that really are molested by teachers. Even taking into account reticence in reporting and doubling or tripling or quadrupling the numbers, it still would not be any kind of modern-day epidemic, however painful that is to consider.

Calmloki is right: there's also now a sick hyper-sensitivity to "abuse". I went with my sis to drop her 3-4 y.o. girl off at nursery school. The beloved 50-ish female teacher (herself a mom) gave my niece a quick hug hello in front of us, and said to us "I don't care if it's not allowed; little kids need hugs!"

Kids are more at risk from male relatives than they are from teacher, cops, and so on. I worry what happens when a kid is in a real fix and yet has been led to suspect that any given teacher or cop is just going to give them more of the same. "Stranger Danger" is anything but.

My elderly mother goes in to crisis mode every so often. She thinks I'm "callous" because I haven't been freaking out over the latest tornado in Kansas that she's heard about on the Weather Channel (erm, we are in Italy? where we have our own problems with earthquakes, floods, fires, and African refugee/would-be immigrants drowning in the sea?). I try to tell her that 20-30 years ago she would never even have KNOWn about the tornado in KS, or the child-molestation case wherever. Since these stories now are "national", it makes it seem like there are more tornadoes and more child molestation.

I started teaching in 1975. I have never had an inappropriate moment with a student. But I have seen teachers accused, both fairly and unfairly. I do not ever put myself in a situation which could be remotely construed as inappropriate. There are times when my female students have been emotionally distraught and in need of human contact and, sadly, I have had to hold back out of fear for exactly you know what. That's the way it is, sad to say.

The greatest evil? media reporting. IMHO there is probably exactly the same % of twisted folks now as there was 10, 20, 50, 100 years ago.

I try to tell her that 20-30 years ago she would never even have KNOWn about the tornado in KS, or the child-molestation case wherever. Since these stories now are "national", it makes it seem like there are more tornadoes and more child molestation.

you guys are right on target. i would go as far as to say that sort of thinking is what fuels fundamentalism (and not just born again xtians because i bunch the fundi new agers right in there with them) and leads to thoughts of armageddon, nirvana and the like.

nothing new about tornadoes, hurricanes, odd weather or earthquakes, we simply didn't used to have millions of people building cities on faults or in seaside beach towns. and until now we didn't have the mass media to throw it all in your face.

life is bitter sweet. always was. always will be.

"there is nothing new under the sun."~~eccl. 1:9

It appears that men teachers are treated more harshly by the justice system and that the women teachers are sometimes given lesser sentences.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/anyone-watching-debbie-lafave-interview-23057.html

This thread took place a number of months ago. I was surprised how many members of this board, including a moderator, strongly argued that it was not only OK, but desirable, for a female teacher to have have sex with a young student.............as long as the female teacher was "Hot."

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/anyone-watching-debbie-lafave-interview-23057.html

This thread took place a number of months ago. I was surprised how many members of this board, including a moderator, strongly argued that it was not only OK, but desirable, for a female teacher to have have sex with a young student.............as long as the female teacher was "Hot."

It's hard to beleive that they would not consider it RAPE because that is what it is under most laws. The fact that the female teacher was "HOT" has nothing to do with it being acceptable or OK it is still RAPE.

Both men and women should be held to the same standard under the law.

GOD BLESS:angel:

I suppose; but just between you and me, if it had to happen, I'd prefer to be raped by someone with boobs and an innie. And please, stay away from my gastrointestinal tract. :)

Ha

I suppose; but just between you and me, if it had to happen, I'd prefer to be raped by someone with boobs and an innie....
Ha

(and hot). if it had to happen. and good breath.

I'm sure this disparity is thanks to a Supreme Court ruling. Two underaged teens (both the same age IIRC) were at a bus stop having sex. Both were charged and tried for sex with a minor. The female's conviction was vacated after a USSC appeal resulted in a ruling that a female has more at risk by having sex than a male, so she should not be held to the same standard as a male.

It wasn't too many years ago when getting married at 15, 16, 17 years old was not uncommon. The DW's grandmother was married at 13. Good thing her grandfather wasn't tried as a pedophile, or my wife wouldn't exist.

I never have a been a fan of artificial ages placed on things, even when I was running the streets taking people to jail. But the law is what society has decided is good for the society and I enforced all of the laws the same.

Teachers Make a better headline. How many parents, uncles creeps have taken a childs innocense away. They all are sick animals. But the teacher headline is the one that stands out. Easier to pick on a teacher instead of looking in the mirror these parents who have failed their own kids.

I started teaching in 1975. I have never had an inappropriate moment with a student. But I have seen teachers accused, both fairly and unfairly. I do not ever put myself in a situation which could be remotely construed as inappropriate. There are times when my female students have been emotionally distraught and in need of human contact and, sadly, I have had to hold back out of fear for exactly you know what. That's the way it is, sad to say.

My 7th grade teacher was accused of inappropriate conduct 5 years ago. The School District suspended him with pay while the plice did their investigating. As it tuned out, the girl made all the stuff up because she was a honor student and he gave her a low grade in his class.......:eek::eek:

In a small community, he was villified, and forced to resign after 25 years of teaching. Later on, he sued the girl's parents for slander, but a local judge threw the case out..........:rant:

Teachers Make a better headline. How many parents, uncles creeps have taken a childs innocense away. They all are sick animals. But the teacher headline is the one that stands out. Easier to pick on a teacher instead of looking in the mirror these parents who have failed their own kids.

So are you saying that the teacher is the "fall guy" because "Uncle Sicko" took their innocence years before? Not a compelling argument.........:p

Back
Top Bottom