Thread Hijacking - Two Threads Are Better Than One

What’s up with Boeing? They had two series software problems in the test of their Starliner spacecraft that could have caused a major failure. NASA wants better software development and testing procedures.

Getting back on topic.......

The next thing we know somebody will hijack the spacecraft in orbit.

The problem is the definition of what is on topic. This is the definition for many:

On topic: Anything you think is related to the OP.

Off topic: Anything someone else thinks is related to the OP.

The problem is the definition of what is on topic. This is the definition for many:

On topic: Anything you think is related to the OP.

Off topic: Anything someone else thinks is related to the OP.

It is really not that arbitrary. When the topic is a "stock bubble", a two-page discussion of the virtues of CDs versus bonds is off topic. One might stop following a timely thread due to thread drift - I did.

IMO, "chatty" threads that are about soft topics can drift all they want, and I like them. But threads about specific questions or specific news/events should stay on topic.

I'm agnostic on enforcement though :flowers:

It is really not that arbitrary. When the topic is a "stock bubble", a two-page discussion of the virtues of CDs versus bonds is off topic. One might stop following a timely thread due to thread drift - I did.

IMO, "chatty" threads that are about soft topics can drift all they want, and I like them. But threads about specific questions or specific news/events should stay on topic.

I'm agnostic on enforcement though :flowers:

Easy to pick some extreme examples either way but in many cases it would be unclear and I think people would often disagree. Even the fact you and I disagree on this is probably a good indication of how an exercise like policing threads in this way would be received.

Easy to pick some extreme examples either way but in many cases it would be unclear and I think people would often disagree. Even the fact you and I disagree on this is probably a good indication of how an exercise like policing threads in this way would be received.

Hmm, I'd be interested in an "extreme example" of staying on topic? Anyway, I suspect that my fictional example resonates in this thread.

As I said, I'm agnostic on enforcement and "the code is more of what you would call guidelines than actual rules..."

Anyway, I suspect that my fictional example resonates in this thread.

I'm sure you are, which is exactly my point. Each person is generally very convinced by their own point of view or logic. Often, others don't agree.

I think some folks are doing the best that they can. If they weren't here they'd be causing trouble out in the real world.

Sometimes the hijack is way more interesting than the thread .
All the more reason to start another thread. Thanks! :horse:

Back
Top Bottom