Thread-lock for eyeglass frames?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi,

I have a good pair of RX reading glasses that keep losing screws. I tighten down as much as I can without stripping the threads, but I wonder if anyone has knowledge or experience using something like LocTite for this?

The Loctite website mentions several products for threads that need to be disassembled, but I wonder what might be suitable for glasses.

Thanks for any help.

Ha

I have an excellent solution! I used this on my progressive lenses for about six months until I could get a new prescription and buy glasses.

Go to home depot. Get a little packet of shrink tubing. Will cost you around a buck. Get the size that looks closest to the arm size. Fit the tubing along the arm and to a bit past along the front part of the frame. Heat lightly, quickly and evenly with a lighter or match. The tubing will shrink quickly and extremely snugly and won't let loose unless you cut it off or physically work to try to remove the arm from the tubing.

The only disadvantage is that you will not be able to fold the arms inward.

There are YouTube videos too in case you're not clear...you can google the method.

Use the blue LocTite DO NOT USE the red. The red is pretty much permeant. Also do not let the blue get into the hinge.

Hi,

I have a good pair of RX reading glasses that keep losing screws. I tighten down as much as I can without stripping the threads, but I wonder if anyone has knowledge or experience using something like LocTite for this?

The Loctite website mentions several products for threads that need to be disassembled, but I wonder what might be suitable for glasses.

Thanks for any help.

Ha

As usual I have a story. I had to go back to the eyeglass store at least 6 times because the screws either fell out /and or my lenses were popping out. Finally I told one of the people, I think I got a defective frame. Mind you I got the frame that was covered by the union plan(i.e. real cheap). As Im making a bit of a commotion, an older employee comes out from the back. He looks at the frame and says, "Sir, no problem, Ill fix these." I say ok so what are you going to do different. He sits at the bench goes to this little box with screws, and tells me "Im going to put in self tapping screws." Its been over a month and they have not fell out, IDK if he was telling me a tall tale but he replaced the reg screws with what he described as self tapping.

Last edited:
Use the blue LocTite DO NOT USE the red. The red is pretty much permanent. Also do not let the blue get into the hinge.

What he said. I used the blue Loctite on a screw in a belt that wanted to keep falling out. It's been secure for 20+ years.

I just keep a little screwdriver in the desk drawer. When I notice the hinges getting a bit loose, I tighten them up. Happens once or twice a month. Not a big deal.

Wow, you got your moneys worth out of that belt.

Yep, that's my dress belt that I used to wear at work and I wear it about 2 times a year now. I have a belt buckle for my blue jeans that is 30+ years old. A sister of my ex gave it to me for Christmas one year. I did wear out the original belt and had to replace it at about the 20-year mark.

I just keep a little screwdriver in the desk drawer. When I notice the hinges getting a bit loose, I tighten them up. Happens once or twice a month. Not a big deal.

I bought one of these at the dollar store. But i cant see the screws to tighten without my glasses. My wife tried but the screw driver slipped and she got cut. :(

I've never been turned down when I walked into an eyeglass store and asked them to adjust mine. They don't care where you bought them; they figure if they're nice to you, you're likely to return to buy your next pair from them.

I've never been turned down when I walked into an eyeglass store and asked them to adjust mine. They don't care where you bought them; they figure if they're nice to you, you're likely to return to buy your next pair from them.

Good for you, but Lenscrafters wanted to charge me 5 bucks last time I was there because my glasses didn't come from them. And I was there with my son whose glasses WERE from them! Needless to say, that we ALL are now using a different provider.... :facepalm:

Lenscrafters wanted to charge me 5 bucks last time I was there because my glasses didn't come from them.

Strange. I usually go to a nearby Pearle Vision shop, and they couldn't be nicer. They're owned by Luxottica, which also owns Lenscrafters, so I wonder why there would be a difference?

Thats the aggravating part here too, I have to supply more information to the place about who I am, when i bought them , They look it up in the computer. I gave less information out when I was applying for a job. Oh, and did I mention there is always a long wait. The last time was about 2 weeks in between "adjustments", I must have made an impression on them from the recent visit, Because I was greeted with "what happened" as i had the lens in one hand and the frame in the other.

I keep a bottle of Dollar Tree clear nail polish at my workbench and use it as Loctite for any bolts I don't want to come loose. Not as strong as Loctite, but sometimes that is a good thing.

Use the blue LocTite DO NOT USE the red. The red is pretty much permeant. Also do not let the blue get into the hinge.
Agreed, but also be warned that if the locking compound you use is not Loctite branding, then the colors aren't necessarily the same. I remember buying a different brand of locking compound and finding out that their temporary locking compound was colored red, and their permanent was blue. It's one of those products where Loctite has the brand awareness, so while they are all referred to as "Loctite", they are not all of that brand.

Whatever brand you use, you want the temporary one.

I just had the nose-rest screw strip out the threads on the metal frame. I tried my go-to trick of putting piece of thread in the hole and screwing it, to no avail. A day later it was loose again. So I went for my Loctite only to find it was lost. I searched around and found that 5-second fix it glue As-Seen-On-TV that I got last Christmas as a gift. I placed a partial drop on the thread sticking out and pressed button to activate the UV LED and viola! No more loosening screw.

I wouldn't have thought this was a controversial topic that deserved locking the thread....

:) I totally crack myself up...... :)
:LOL: I was just skimming the latest 'health care bill" thread, and that crossed my mind as well!

-ERD50

Dollar stores sell a little case with screwdrivers, assortment of screws ans new nose pieces, one buck.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. First I will try Loctite Blue. If I have difficulties, the shrink tubing sounds very clever.I can see that for specs kept at home this is really a fail-safe solution.

Ha

Amen on the blue LocTite. I have used that stuff for many years when racing sports cars and for other odd needs like glasses screws.

They have multiple grades, the most common being blue, red, and green. Just to confuse things they all come in red bottles with just a big color dot to indicate contents. Buy the smallest tube or bottle that you can; the stuff is kind of nasty and tends to crawl out of its container over time. Put it in a ZipLoc bag for protection.

I have never had an issue removing glasses screws that I have loctited, but if you have any kind of issue, just hold a soldering iron on the head of the screw for maybe 10 seconds. Heat breaks down the bond and the screw should come easily.

Re other brands, I know that NAPA screw lock is simply LocTite with private branding. The NAPA stuff might be easier to find locally.

Re varnish, paint, etc. Why? That stuff is not designed for locking threads and there is an easily available product that is designed for the exact purpose. So IMO it is silly not to use it.

Back
Top Bottom