Join Early Retirement Today

Thread-lock for eyeglass frames?
Old 06-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thread-lock for eyeglass frames?

Hi,

I have a good pair of RX reading glasses that keep losing screws. I tighten down as much as I can without stripping the threads, but I wonder if anyone has knowledge or experience using something like LocTite for this?

The Loctite website mentions several products for threads that need to be disassembled, but I wonder what might be suitable for glasses.

Thanks for any help.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an excellent solution! I used this on my progressive lenses for about six months until I could get a new prescription and buy glasses.

Go to home depot. Get a little packet of shrink tubing. Will cost you around a buck. Get the size that looks closest to the arm size. Fit the tubing along the arm and to a bit past along the front part of the frame. Heat lightly, quickly and evenly with a lighter or match. The tubing will shrink quickly and extremely snugly and won't let loose unless you cut it off or physically work to try to remove the arm from the tubing.

The only disadvantage is that you will not be able to fold the arms inward.

There are YouTube videos too in case you're not clear...you can google the method.
AutumnElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Use the blue LocTite DO NOT USE the red. The red is pretty much permeant. Also do not let the blue get into the hinge.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Hi,

I have a good pair of RX reading glasses that keep losing screws. I tighten down as much as I can without stripping the threads, but I wonder if anyone has knowledge or experience using something like LocTite for this?

The Loctite website mentions several products for threads that need to be disassembled, but I wonder what might be suitable for glasses.

Thanks for any help.

Ha
As usual I have a story. I had to go back to the eyeglass store at least 6 times because the screws either fell out /and or my lenses were popping out. Finally I told one of the people, I think I got a defective frame. Mind you I got the frame that was covered by the union plan(i.e. real cheap). As Im making a bit of a commotion, an older employee comes out from the back. He looks at the frame and says, "Sir, no problem, Ill fix these." I say ok so what are you going to do different. He sits at the bench goes to this little box with screws, and tells me "Im going to put in self tapping screws." Its been over a month and they have not fell out, IDK if he was telling me a tall tale but he replaced the reg screws with what he described as self tapping.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Use the blue LocTite DO NOT USE the red. The red is pretty much permanent. Also do not let the blue get into the hinge.
What he said. I used the blue Loctite on a screw in a belt that wanted to keep falling out. It's been secure for 20+ years.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
What he said. I used the blue Loctite on a screw in a belt that wanted to keep falling out. It's been secure for 20+ years.
Wow, you got your moneys worth out of that belt.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 06-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #7

I just keep a little screwdriver in the desk drawer. When I notice the hinges getting a bit loose, I tighten them up. Happens once or twice a month. Not a big deal.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Yep, that's my dress belt that I used to wear at work and I wear it about 2 times a year now. I have a belt buckle for my blue jeans that is 30+ years old. A sister of my ex gave it to me for Christmas one year. I did wear out the original belt and had to replace it at about the 20-year mark.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I just keep a little screwdriver in the desk drawer. When I notice the hinges getting a bit loose, I tighten them up. Happens once or twice a month. Not a big deal.
I bought one of these at the dollar store. But i cant see the screws to tighten without my glasses. My wife tried but the screw driver slipped and she got cut.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
I bought one of these at the dollar store. But i cant see the screws to tighten without my glasses. My wife tried but the screw driver slipped and she got cut.
There's also a pair of readers in the drawer.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
There's also a pair of readers in the drawer.
Yeah thats what i would have needed to do the repair.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #12

I've never been turned down when I walked into an eyeglass store and asked them to adjust mine. They don't care where you bought them; they figure if they're nice to you, you're likely to return to buy your next pair from them.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #13

Quote:
let alone the screw and the lock tite
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've never been turned down when I walked into an eyeglass store and asked them to adjust mine. They don't care where you bought them; they figure if they're nice to you, you're likely to return to buy your next pair from them.
Good for you, but Lenscrafters wanted to charge me 5 bucks last time I was there because my glasses didn't come from them. And I was there with my son whose glasses WERE from them! Needless to say, that we ALL are now using a different provider....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Lenscrafters wanted to charge me 5 bucks last time I was there because my glasses didn't come from them.
Strange. I usually go to a nearby Pearle Vision shop, and they couldn't be nicer. They're owned by Luxottica, which also owns Lenscrafters, so I wonder why there would be a difference?
Old 06-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #16

Thats the aggravating part here too, I have to supply more information to the place about who I am, when i bought them , They look it up in the computer. I gave less information out when I was applying for a job. Oh, and did I mention there is always a long wait. The last time was about 2 weeks in between "adjustments", I must have made an impression on them from the recent visit, Because I was greeted with "what happened" as i had the lens in one hand and the frame in the other.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I keep a bottle of Dollar Tree clear nail polish at my workbench and use it as Loctite for any bolts I don't want to come loose. Not as strong as Loctite, but sometimes that is a good thing.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #18

OK i just googled it, apparently he wasnt pulling my leg, they do have self tapping screws for glasses: http://www.eyecarebusiness.com/issue...rew-y-problems. Ask the repair person to put some in for you.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #19

I wouldn't have thought this was a controversial topic that deserved locking the thread....

I totally crack myself up......
Old 06-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Use the blue LocTite DO NOT USE the red. The red is pretty much permeant. Also do not let the blue get into the hinge.
Agreed, but also be warned that if the locking compound you use is not Loctite branding, then the colors aren't necessarily the same. I remember buying a different brand of locking compound and finding out that their temporary locking compound was colored red, and their permanent was blue. It's one of those products where Loctite has the brand awareness, so while they are all referred to as "Loctite", they are not all of that brand.

Whatever brand you use, you want the temporary one.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote