Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Ticklish ring question
Old 12-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ticklish ring question

Hi all.

I got engaged at age 20 and, as was traditional, gave her a diamond engagement ring. On our wedding day, again as traditional, we added a wedding band, which was combined/soldered/whatever. 16 years and three kids later, she left the marriage. I asked her to consider the ring as marital property. I asked her to give it to our daughter. She and her lawyer declined both these requests.

My Mom died in 2016. In the process of dividing her jewelry as she was on hospice, she steered a rather lovely diamond and emerald ring to me. We all know it was her hope that I would remarry and use that ring as an engagement ring. I will very very likely not remarry.

My son is 20 and has a serious girlfriend. They're both university students.
She is lovely and they're a good match. Engagement / marriage has been discussed for sometime in the moderate future.

On the one hand, I would be delighted to offer this ring to my son -

Of course only if he wants it and likes it and likes the idea of an heirloom ring, and only if she would want it and like it and like the idea of an heirloom ring

- as an engagement ring.

On the other hand, not all marriages work out and not all rings are returned. But I would feel rather churlish to say, "Hey, you (son/GF) can have this, but if it doesn't work out, the family (I and my sisters) want(s) it back"

I don't know how common it is for wedding rings to be handed back in the case of divorce. I would think that it being a family heirloom might increase those odds, but obviously not to 100%.

This currently looks like the best chance to hand this ring on in a meaningful way. None of the other kids or even cousins are in a place to use it. Of course that could change too.

Thoughts / comments appreciated.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
gone traveling

Let it go
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can’t put conditions on a gift. If you give it to your son it’s no longer in your control and whatever happens happens.

If it were me I would ask my son if he would like to use it. If he says yes, give it to him with no strings attached. If not, perhaps it’s time to put it up for sale so that someone else can enjoy it.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #4

Typically rings are given back in the event of a broken engagement, not in the event of a divorce.

Wait till your daughter gets older. She may want an heirloom from her grandmother.

I wore my grandmother's vintage ring (although not constantly) in remembrance.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Let it go
No thank you. My neuroses are what keep me busy these days. I appreciate the sentiment, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
You can’t put conditions on a gift. If you give it to your son it’s no longer in your control and whatever happens happens.

If it were me I would ask my son if he would like to use it. If he says yes, give it to him with no strings attached. If not, perhaps it’s time to put it up for sale so that someone else can enjoy it.
Right you are. I wouldn't sell it as I'd rather see it stay in the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Typically rings are given back in the event of a broken engagement, not in the event of a divorce.

Wait till your daughter gets older. She may want an heirloom from her grandmother.

I wore my grandmother's vintage ring (although not constantly) in remembrance.
DD18 may not want it before DS20 gets engaged, so there's a timing aspect to things. DD18 may not want it at all - they're not big on jewelry.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #6

There is no rush. If your son got engaged, the engagement broke-up and the ring disappeared, you'd be heart broken. That does not happen often, but it does happen.

You can give it to your son for your DIL after they've been married for a few years . . .
Old 12-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
There is no rush. If your son got engaged, the engagement broke-up and the ring disappeared, you'd be heart broken. That does not happen often, but it does happen.

You can give it to your son for your DIL after they've been married for a few years . . .
True. I think I was idealizing the opportunity of it being the actual engagement ring. It probably doesn't matter as much as I thought it does. More neuroses to play with
Old 12-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #8

Save it for your daughter
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Save it for your daughter
^^This is my general thought. However, I don't see a question raised yet - Did either of your children have a special relationship with your mother? I know in my case, One of my daughter's had a very special relationship with my mother and I would want it to go to her if I were in you situation. Not because she's a daughter (female), but because of the relationship.

In my current world, my oldest grandson has a very special relationship with my wife. I would definitely consider him first if she had a special piece of jewelry I needed to pass down.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
^^This is my general thought. However, I don't see a question raised yet - Did either of your children have a special relationship with your mother? I know in my case, One of my daughter's had a very special relationship with my mother and I would want it to go to her if I were in you situation. Not because she's a daughter (female), but because of the relationship.

In my current world, my oldest grandson has a very special relationship with my wife. I would definitely consider him first if she had a special piece of jewelry I needed to pass down.
Three kids (DS25, DS20, DD18), but none of them had a particularly close relationship with my Mom, so not really a consideration in my case.

I am not any more inclined to give it to a female offspring of mine vs. a male offspring of mine.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I am not any more inclined to give it to a female offspring of mine vs. a male offspring of mine.
Well, in a way you are. If you give it to the female, you don't have the problem of getting it back if things don't work out, as described in your original post.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Well, in a way you are. If you give it to the female, you don't have the problem of getting it back if things don't work out, as described in your original post.
It is possible my DD18 could give it to a prospective future partner as an engagement ring. So, no, I am not so inclined due to any sex-related differences.

Yes, I am inclined to try to keep this ring in the family, so any practical difference related to that would be a consideration. So if, for example, one of my offspring were going to keep it and wear it for themselves, vs. give it to a partner, I guess that would matter. But I guess I am also somehow trying to honor my Mom's wishes that it be used in a special way, such as as an engagement ring or an anniversary ring. If any of my kids had particularly liked my Mom and wanted to wear it as a remembrance, that would probably work well too.

I think the healthier thing for me is to hold on to it and only give it away when I can do so in a way that is without strings.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You asked for the ring to be marital property?

Didn't you give it before you got married?

Once you give something away, consider it gone.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is possible my DD18 could give it to a prospective future partner as an engagement ring. So, no, I am not so inclined due to any sex-related differences.

Yes, I am inclined to try to keep this ring in the family, so any practical difference related to that would be a consideration. So if, for example, one of my offspring were going to keep it and wear it for themselves, vs. give it to a partner, I guess that would matter. But I guess I am also somehow trying to honor my Mom's wishes that it be used in a special way, such as as an engagement ring or an anniversary ring. If any of my kids had particularly liked my Mom and wanted to wear it as a remembrance, that would probably work well too.

I think the healthier thing for me is to hold on to it and only give it away when I can do so in a way that is without strings.
Your Mom really hasn't been gone that long, so give it some time. My Mother has been dead for 20 years and it took me 10 years to think about some of the things that went on between us. Nothing bad, just stuff that we never said. So the ring is really just a symbol of your Mom's caring and thinking you are a great son and she would love for you to find a wonderful partner to make you happy. The ring is just a symbol of her affection and caring..a nice symbol, but still a symbol.

Put it away for awhile and then see if someone comes into your life, or if your DD has an interest on it or consider giving it to a sister. The important thing about the ring is what it showed about your Mom's feelings toward you. You might stay unattached, who knows but that doesn't change the fact your Mom thought you were special. Keep it for yourself if you want to, because it's about Mom and not about the ring.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #15

My step father drowned when I was a teenager, so when my wife and I got engaged my mom gave us her wedding ring from that marriage. My mom did make the comment she would like the ring back if our marriage didn't work out. I partially blew it off as mom just being mom, and was partially offended that she didn't have faith in our relationship before we were even married (not surprising since mom was already on her 4th marriage).

It's not a fancy ring, but we liked the family connection and added a second band to make it our own. I never gave it much thought afterwards, but several times during early struggles in our marriage my wife mentioned returning it to my mom. I could tell that request weighed heavier on my wife than it did to me.

A few years later my mom pulled away from family and we didn't have any contact for over 20 years. We reconnected after she had a stroke, and though she had remarried since my step father, that is the relationship she still has fond memories of today. To my surprise, after our 34 years of marriage, my wife still asked if she should return the ring to my mother since it meant so much to my mom. I said no, this is your ring, symbolizing our love. It stopped being my mom's the day she passed it on to us. The family connection means nothing to me. I don't care where we got it, it's the ring I gave my wife when we got married. Besides, it has been "our" ring far longer than it was my mom's ring.

Long story short, feel free to offer your ring if your son or daughter wants it. But don't make them feel like they are obligated out of any sense of family tradition. And never, ever, ask for the ring back. If it means that much to you, don't give it away.

Support your son or daughters relationship. If it doesn't work out, the ring is theirs to do with as they please.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Definitely.

Aside from that, I know again, everyone has preferences, but I'm glad no one ever asked me to take their dear departed relative's ring. I know it's a lovely sentimental thought but...I never liked the idea of someone else's jewelry. I'm not alone in that thought. I didn't even want the ring-on-bended-knee deal, because I like to choose my own jewelry (yes I'm that picky and annoying).

In his first marriage, DH's ex had lost her original wedding ring, then his Mom gave him a ring he could give her as a replacement. When they divorced...yep the ex kept it. He was annoyed enough about that to share the story with me a few years later when we were dating. (me, then, to self: phew, he won't give me his mom's ring!

Put the ring away somewhere safe, put it in your will if it has a value, and then revisit your thoughts on it in 5 or 10 years.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:31 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Is he thinking of using it as an engagement ring? One practical consideration is that emeralds are pretty delicate and can chip or break. I love jewelry but wouldn't want an emerald in a ring I was going to wear every day.

The one case I know of where the wife returned a family diamond in a divorce was my stepson's. DH and I had had a beautiful diamond from his ex-wife's family mounted in a custom-designed white gold setting as an engagement present when DSS got engaged. DSS divorced a few years later when his wife got tired of waiting for him to grow up and just about everything was in her name. He was left with almost nothing. We had to loan him $$ to buy a car. She did, however, give back the ring. I'd felt a bit bad that DH and I hadn't gone for a platinum setting and after the divorce I was glad I hadn't. The ring is now back with DSS' mom.

Short of a written agreement, though, I'd say there are no guarantees you'd get it back in case of a divorce even if it was the right thing to do.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #18

If you would really rather it go to your son than your daughter, and you cannot abide by the idea of it being kept by an ex-DIL in a divorce, consider offering it to him in 5 or 10 years as an anniversary/recommitment ring. Chances would be much lower then that it would leave your family.

(Personally, I agree with those urging you not to put strings on gifts, as the only thing we can really control are our own actions. IMO, it's like trying to make a point with an inheritance or bequest, it will probably not work, and if it does, the negative impact may be worse than the benefit. But I'm offering this suggestion since you already stated you don't agree with that perspective.)
Old 12-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #19

When engaged at 19 I gave DW my grandmother's solitaire engagement ring. Otherwise there would have been no such ring due to finances. Sadly, about 10 years ago I noticed the diamond was gone! We searched everywhere but no luck. We picked out a new ring that was close match to replace it. Moral of the story: have a jeweler inspect your important jewelry that's subject to wear every few years.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:01 AM   #20
gone traveling

A ring in a drawer isn't worth a dime to most people, but handing it down to your son/DIL will be priceless...but should have no strings attached !
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ring