Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Another view, and from a woman I work with. She said what Tiger did is something that 75% of all men would do if given the chance. Also she commented that Elin knew what she was getting into before she married Tiger and that she married him for his money and fame.

Can't say I disagree with her on any point.

I don't think it is as high as 75%... but higher than I would think because I keep hearing these stories.. (me, even if I had the chance... I would not do it.. period..)

I do disagree on point two... if she knew he was doing this all along, it would not have blown up.... she would have kept going along with what was happening and enjoyed the money and fame....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read yesterday somewhere that 40% of all men cheat. That's depressing.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I read yesterday somewhere that 40% of all men cheat. That's depressing.
I'm always curious how something like this is measured. If that 40% number came from a survey, how accurate were the answers?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #184

Who knows? If I could remember where I read it, I would post..but I can't.
However, being single, if I had to take a guess at the number I would have said somewhere around 30-35% myself.
I'd just love to know what the number of cheaters is for the women. 25%? Anyone know?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #185

Didn't someone do a cheating survey here a few weeks back?

I found a recent poll: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ner-46655.html
Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #186
Gone but not forgotten

Unless she was madly in love with him why should she stay ? She will end up with enough money to be set for life and hopefully she'll move on and find a more faithful mate . If he had cheated with one woman it would be hard to take but most woman would deal with it but having cheated with several woman and frequently is humiliating and not worth saving a sham of a marriage for IMHO.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Unless she was madly in love with him why should she stay ?
To make his life a living hell?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, based on the recent ER gallop poll, Elin would only have a 25% chance of finding that "gem" statistically speaking.....are those good odds? Also, what man could should find (swindle) to put her in the life style of which she's become accustomed and could NEVER have achieved on her own ; I believe her prior "profession" was a nanny.
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm always curious how something like this is measured. If that 40% number came from a survey, how accurate were the answers?
Not only that, but I doubt most of them are cheating with other men.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If he had cheated with one woman it would be hard to take but most woman would deal with it but having cheated with several woman and frequently is humiliating and not worth saving a sham of a marriage for IMHO.
This may well be true, but in terms of purity and morality, we'd have to be assume she married him for love and not at all because of fame and money...

And if she didn't marry him primarily for love, then I'd say that reflects about as poorly on her as Tiger's philandering reflects on him.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #191
Moderator Emeritus

I think Tiger might account for 25% of the cheating incidences.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #192

Quote:
Unless she was madly in love with him why should she stay ? She will end up with enough money to be set for life and hopefully she'll move on and find a more faithful mate . If he had cheated with one woman it would be hard to take but most woman would deal with it but having cheated with several woman and frequently is humiliating and not worth saving a sham of a marriage for IMHO.
Love is a funny thing, and I think it is hard for anyone outside a relationship to know what really goes on inside someone else's relationship. How many friends have we had where we question what do they see in their chosen partner.

There is an Australian cricketer by the name of Shane Warne. He was married to Simone and was a serial cheater. Like Tiger he did dumb things like texting his girlfriends who duly went to the press and made money off it. Eventually they got divorced. Within 2 years they were back together again until Shane did the same thing again. They split up again. However, it's now reported that they are back together again. I would imagine it will happen again. Of course the comments are always how stupid she is. He is a very wealth man, however I think she stays because she truly loves him and he loves her. I know that seems weird to say given his behaviour, but I don't think it is about the money. I feel if they can live with what goes on within their relationship they don't need to explain it to me or anyone else.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I would imagine it will happen again. Of course the comments are always how stupid she is. He is a very wealth man, however I think she stays because she truly loves him and he loves her. I know that seems weird to say given his behaviour, but I don't think it is about the money. I feel if they can live with what goes on within their relationship they don't need to explain it to me or anyone else.
The people saying it's "stupid" are, IMO, projecting. Just because the vast majority of people believe that monogamy is the only acceptable context for intimate relations doesn't mean that everyone does, or that because many of us see cheating as the ultimate act of betrayal, doesn't mean that everyone does.

As an example, most people would never consider an "open marriage," but that doesn't mean those who do are idiots -- it just means they have different priorities and desires out of life. And as long as there is full disclosure and acceptance, it's not my place to comment anyway...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #194

REWahoo: You can't go by the poll of upstanding citizens like on this board...hmmmm...

DangerMouse: Being single for most of my life really I've seen and heard plenty from girlfriends, and come to the conclusion that when a woman stays in these situations she is more likely codependent and scared than "in love." OK, I'm slightly jaded, but that's my observation.

I think Elie is right on in leaving. One, two, maybe even three...but 11 or 12 is just waaaay too much. And bringing these women into the marital home: unforgivable! I think most women would see that as just totally disrespectful to the wife.
I say take the money and ruuuuuun, Elie, ruuuuuuun!!!!!!!!! You don't need him or his horrible example for the kids--even if that means you take your kids and raise them by yourself.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The people saying it's "stupid" are, IMO, projecting. Just because the vast majority of people believe that monogamy is the only acceptable context for intimate relations doesn't mean that everyone does, or that because many of us see cheating as the ultimate act of betrayal, doesn't mean that everyone does.

As an example, most people would never consider an "open marriage," but that doesn't mean those who do are idiots -- it just means they have different priorities and desires out of life. And as long as there is full disclosure and acceptance, it's not my place to comment anyway...
I agree with you totally. It's a projection of their own values onto someone else's situation. I think the problem is, it is too easy to get caught up in taking the higher moral ground as if in some way it makes one superior. The problem is my values may not match your values and who is anyone to judge how others choose to live their lives. Who decides which set of values are the ones we all have to measure ourselves against?

I can see how easy it is to get caught up in judging others, because with this Tiger situation I was thinking what a jerk etc. But the truth is it is none of my business what Tiger did or does. He never made any promises to me, I never spent a moment of my day thinking about Tiger or what he was doing before all this washed out now so it is totally irrelevant to my life. Going forward I am going to spend more time focussing on the things that I can control and try and let issues that are not relevant to my life pass me by.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #196
Gone but not forgotten

True I was projecting my values . I don't know Tiger or his wife so who knows what their agreement was and frankly I don't really care . It will soon be yesterday's news .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think Tiger might account for 25% of the cheating incidences.
And Wilt for the other 5000%. And let's not forget Kobe.

Ha
Old 12-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
And Wilt for the other 5000%. And let's not forget Kobe.
Or JFK... or King Henry VIII... or so many others. I wonder if they regret it now?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I say take the money and ruuuuuun, Elie, ruuuuuuun!!!!!!!!! You don't need him or his horrible example for the kids--even if that means you take your kids and raise them by yourself.
Ok I'll volunteer to make the supreme sacrifice in order to redeem the male species sullen reputation thanks Tiger. I'll marry Elin and help raise the children, I'll even move to Florida, or god forbid Sweden if Elin would rather be near her identical twin sister.

Needless to say I'll remain faithful to her although it will be difficult to remain faithful to such homely woman, especially when temptation in the form of coffee shop waitresses constantly appear.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #200
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Ok I'll volunteer to make the supreme sacrifice in order to redeem the male species sullen reputation thanks Tiger. I'll marry Elin and help raise the children, I'll even move to Florida, or god forbid Sweden if Elin would rather be near her identical twin sister.

Needless to say I'll remain faithful to her although it will be difficult to remain faithful to such homely woman, especially when temptation in the form of coffee shop waitresses constantly appear.
Clifp, you know the old saying... "no matter how rich, how good looking, or how good she is in bed, somewhere someone is tired up putting up with her sh*t..."
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote