Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw the replay last night. I guess the speech was a decent first step in an attempt to put this behind him and rebuild the image. But whenever he does return to golf, he will be asked a lot of tough questions at the weekly press conferences so that will be interesting. I could care less about the details though. Personally, I enjoy watching the PGA tour even without him. But there are some who only watch because of him.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #222
Give me a forum ...

I watched the apology. My initial reaction was "horse hockey". We'll have to wait and see how this thing plays out. I don't understand why sports figures get so much attention and are held up as heroes for young people. They make gillions playing games and endorsing products. What's really so great about that?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #223
Give me a forum ...

Tiger didn't apologize. He just read the words written for him by his PR agency, and exhibited the facial expressions that they coached him to use.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Did not see his speech. Frankly, just don't give a hoot. Whatever problems, are between his wife and him. His mother still loves him, he is still a good player I presume ( no golf fan here), and in time will be back to making (some) money.

Don't see the point of public self abuse, they are but words on paper read aloud. Whatever remorse he has, surely will be dealt with by him in private. I guess those who paid money to watch him play and bought the stuff he endorsed wanted a pound of flesh. Hence the public reading.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Things I've learned from Tigerpalooza in the last six months:

If you do something wrong, an apology can never erase that fact and it may not be accepted whether heartfelt or not.

Do not believe you know anything about anyone other than the activities you can observe (playing a sport, legislating, acting, playing music). Enjoy those activities for what they are. All the rest of their lives are either being set up for us or are being created in our own minds (I want to believe a stellar athlete is a great guy because I want to believe nice guys win, but really the two issues are not related in the least).

The media makes money off everything they can and there was a lot of money to be made and free publicity to be garnered by a lot of people in covering Tiger yesterday. A sports figure being a complete jerk in his personal life gets a lot more coverage than anything of substance.

Don't sleep with a married man. And don't expect a public apology from him.

Kiss my DH more often.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #226
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's play golf........enough said (MYOB) !
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

I think Tiger's life details are about as important as Paula Abdul's.

Ha
Old 02-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #228
Gone but not forgotten

I think Tiger is a narcissistic jerk and that apology was pathetic .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #229
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the shows on the speech had a body language expert on analyzing him. She said he was "robotic" and she didn't see any sincerity there as he had absolutely no facial expression at all. She said she didn't believe him, and she bet Elin didn't either. She really wasn't buying his apology.
Personally, I felt it had to be humiliating for him...and that he will be back swinging with the babes within the year. Sorry to be so pessimistic.....or totally realistic about this.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Things I've learned from Tigerpalooza in the last six months:

If you do something wrong, an apology can never erase that fact and it may not be accepted whether heartfelt or not.
Yeah, but covering it up with an "accident" followed by a period of denial doesn't make it more likely it will be accepted. What *does* make an apology more likely to be accepted is a belief that the apology really was sincere and heartfelt and not just "spin," damage control or for PR purposes.

I think back to Watergate -- what Nixon's people did wasn't right, but it wasn't that uncommon and (in the grand scheme) perhaps not even that serious. Dirty politics, but not several standard deviations outside the norm. And it was the cover-up and misuse of government resources to cover it up which was the "bigger deal" that accelerated his downfall.

Sometimes how you react to screwing up speaks more about your character than the original screw-up. Good people make mistakes. People with character own it rather than try to sweep it under the rug; they admit their mistakes, apologize as necessary, make amends where possible and vow to learn from it so they don't repeat it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #231
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, but covering it up with an "accident" followed by a period of denial doesn't make it more likely it will be accepted. What *does* make an apology more likely to be accepted is a belief that the apology really was sincere and heartfelt and not just "spin," damage control or for PR purposes.

I think back to Watergate -- what Nixon's people did wasn't right, but it wasn't that uncommon and (in the grand scheme) perhaps not even that serious. Dirty politics, but not several standard deviations outside the norm. And it was the cover-up and misuse of government resources to cover it up which was the "bigger deal" that accelerated his downfall.

Sometimes how you react to screwing up speaks more about your character than the original screw-up. Good people make mistakes. People with character own it rather than try to sweep it under the rug; they admit their mistakes, apologize as necessary, make amends where possible and vow to learn from it so they don't repeat it.
Examples please of those instances where a heartfelt apology was accepted by all?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Examples please of those instances where a heartfelt apology was accepted by all?
Looking back, I don't see where I ever said something would be accepted by *all* people; of course that will never happen. I merely said that seeming truly sincere and contrite would make it more likely for people to accept your apology. Seems fairly "common-sensical" to me, and nowhere did I say anything about "all".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #233
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Looking back, I don't see where I ever said something would be accepted by *all* people; of course that will never happen. I merely said that seeming truly sincere and contrite would make it more likely for people to accept your apology. Seems fairly "common-sensical" to me, and nowhere did I say anything about "all".
Fair enough, and no apology would be accepted by all regardless of the path one followed in atoning for transgressions. Many people are on the record as believing Tiger was truly sincere and contrite in his apology, and many are on the opposite side of the fence.

Personally I don't believe him and I don't not believe him--he could be truly sincere and contrite, he could be a lying sack of sh*t. How would we know?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #234
Give me a forum ...

I was hoping he'd gaze sincerely into the camera and say "I didn't have sex with those women.......")

I do find it amazing that folks who are not financially impacted by the business implications of Tiger's capers give a s*hit. He did apologize to his employees for reducing the business effectiveness of "Tiger, Inc." Other than those folks, who cares? Tiger is just one of millions of guys and gals who screw around on their spouses every year.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

I was at lunch with former cow*rkers when it was being broadcast "live" on Friday. The large screen (52" I'm guessing) TV sound was off with close captioning on.
Being an avid observer of people's body language to begin with, I give him an "A" for effort but a huge "F" for sincerity.
Nice try but no cigar...
Old 02-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #236
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Reminds me of Robert McNamara trying to apologize for his conduct and execution of the Vietnam War...

Can't remember if Jane Fonda ever apologized for her conduct. I think the closest she came was to complain about anorexia.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #237
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I was hoping he'd gaze sincerely into the camera and say "I didn't have sex with those women.......")

I do find it amazing that folks who are not financially impacted by the business implications of Tiger's capers give a s*hit. He did apologize to his employees for reducing the business effectiveness of "Tiger, Inc." Other than those folks, who cares? Tiger is just one of millions of guys and gals who screw around on their spouses every year.
No kidding that he's just one of millions.
When this came on tv all I could think of was what a waste of tv broadcast time.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Being an avid observer of people's body language to begin with, I give him an "A" for effort but a huge "F" for sincerity.
Nice try but no cigar...
He appeared almost as sincere as Michael Vick. Another great role model for the kids.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #239
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't see the point in a public apology. I couldn't care less what he does, and the ONLY person he owes an apology to is his wife.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Not to make a to fine of a point on the spin way back... but he actually said (the real quote)... "I did not have sexual relations with that woman..."... and if you actually read the definitions... he did not... I still think he lied and cheated, just like Tiger lied and cheated... One was a abuse of power, the other just consenting adults doing what they do...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote