Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You wouldn't want to use rechargeable batteries for an emergency flashlight (that doesn't sit on a charger) for example, they'll be dead when you need them.
However, Eneloops seem to hold up significantly better IME.
I use Eneloops in all my flashlights, including infrequently used ones.
3rd generation Eneloops hold 75% of initial charge at 5 years mark.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
3rd generation Eneloops hold 75% of initial charge at 5 years mark.
Maybe some people use their flashlights enough to make rechargeables worthwhile. I've got probably two dozen of these cheap, efficient LED flashlights sprinkled all over the house and the payback period would be "forever" if I took out a second mortgage to put Eneloop rechargeables in them.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How many times have you used a device, turned it in and it did not work? Opened it up and the batteries swelled up and leaked? If you have a really good flashlight, you don't want that to happen. Rechargables do not leak. It's a different chemistry. That is another reason to use Eneloops in your expensive toys. I can see using alkalines in something cheap, though.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I went ahead and got 8 rechargeable C batteries along with two 9V batts.

Nothing like the real thing for size and weight.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Somewhat off-topic, but for the low drain devices we have that take so many of these AA & AAA, I'm looking forward to some technologies that are being developed. This new tech is essentially a small low power generator, rather than a storage device. You never charge them, and they could last 20 + years.

Some ideas under development are a device that captures sound waves from ambient noise, one works with the daily changes in barometric pressure or temperature changes. These might not be small enough for some devices, but for things like wall/desk clocks, thermometers, etc, could be nice.

For devices that need an occasional high draw, the 'generator' could keep something like an eneloop charged.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I just spent a good part of the morning testing batteries including the 9V of my remote controls (I have 2 remotes). To my surprise, after about 3 years, the 9V's are still strong.
They were just cheapo off brand batteries that I got included when I bought something (I forget what) awhile back.

With my testing...brings another question. What type of battery tester do you use?

I have two. For the home, I use a simple one that slides up and down similar to the following (but instead the LCD has a red, yellow or green Led bulb. Old but effective):

Sinometer Digital Battery Tester, BT20 - Amazon.com

For my emergency bag in my car I use the following:

GB Electrical GBT-502A Household Battery Tester - Amazon.com
A Tale of Four Battery Testers... in case you're interested
Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

A Tale of Four Battery Testers... in case you're interested

I went ahead and brought out my household battery testers and included a picture of them, numbered 1-4 from my least favorite to favorite. My comments on them below.

#1 - Sometimes gets false negatives. I must have tossed out a good battery a time or two by mistake. Ready to get rid of.

#2 - Compact and opens up to easily test up to D size, but the needle jumps around and takes about 3 seconds for the needle to get still

#3 -Works well but has a tight spring to push forward for D batteries. Might need some jiggling around to get the contacts right for D batteries. Works great for AAA-C sizes and handles button type batteries.

#4 - Simple and effective. 3 LEDs green=good, yellow=ok, red=bad. (I got this from a dear friend and after some research, I think she must have got it as a freebie from buying Avon products).

Oh....I came across this interesting Youtube video about testing alkaline batteries via a bounce test. It does work! I'm not sure on recharageables.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery testers.jpg (437.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Dollar Tree has a nice little three LED battery tester on their shelves occasionally. Very easy to use and no batteries required.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Dollar Tree has a nice little three LED battery tester on their shelves occasionally. Very easy to use and no batteries required.
Dollar Tree is my favorite dollar store. Good stuff

All of the 4 testers I have also don't require batteries.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
...........All of the 4 testers I have also don't require batteries.
That's good, because how could you test them?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
That's good, because how could you test them?
I know...it always seems like an oxymoron when some battery testers need additional batteries to operate