Time = money/ money > time cartoon

shotgunner

Full time employment: Posting here.
Does anyone have access to and willing to share the cartoon of the businessman walking past a cemetery with a bubble over his head that says time = money and the tombstone nearest him says time > money? Thanks in advance.

Voila

Attachments

• Time V Money.PNG
    Time V Money.PNG
    539.7 KB · Views: 196
Yet, some people have all the time, but no money. This would not be good either.

panhandling-e1448393318518.jpg

Thanks…that is becoming my mantra as I approach retirement this year. I really do “get it” now!

What the cartoon portrays is serious and real. I have a very close friend, 64, still working who is in the hospital today. They have discovered a large mass in his abdomen causing a lot of pain, can't hold food down, and it's putting pressure on his kidney. I do not yet know the results of yesterdays needle biopsy.

My mother was a teacher, developed breast cancer at age 61 before retiring, died two years later at age 63.

My father took an early out at 62, He had three extra good years to do what he enjoyed. The last three years life he was in home care, asst. living and a nursing home with dementia. He died at 79.

I retired fully 7 years ago at age 58. I live very modestly but enjoy my hobbies and little bit of travel.

Choose how you spend your time after 55 wisely.

I left a copy hanging in my cubicle on my last day.

2 medics lost their lives this week in the Carolinas. Both related to work crashes, 32 and 56 years old. That and the risk of other injuries help me decide to call it quits at 58.
Besides... I'm dangerous enough to myself without the job.

My father passed at 56 years old when I was a senior in college. He had many fishing trips planned in his mind for when he retired from farming. It changed the way I saved and invested throughout my work career. My lifelong friend passed at 55. He was a larger-than-life type person. My peers thought I was bluffing and irresponsible when I left my job at 59. I told my boss (who stayed at the office into the evening everyday hoping to get to a C suite) and HR in my resignation letter, "No one on their deathbed ever wished they had worked more hours"

Choose how you spend your time after 55 wisely.
+1

When I first entered the workforce after getting out of grad school (age 23) I made it a goal to be financially able to retire by age 55. Why? My paternal grandfather died at age 56 and my maternal grandfather died at age 60. While there were mitigating circumstances in both cases, I wanted to be able to enjoy my later years just in case. My own father died 12 years later at age 65. (Years of smoking caught up to him).

I took an early retirement offer when I was 47. We lived off my pension and my wife's salary AND put 3 kids through college over the next 10 years. I would w*rk when I wanted to doing what interested me. At 54 I took a consulting job that I was interested in because being a 1099 contractor allowed me to still be the master of my own time. That lasted 5.5 years, allowed me to finish paying off the kid's college expenses and stuff some away for later. At age 60 I told them I had enough and retired for good.

I'm now 68 and have no regrets. Because of better health habits I believe I am going to outlive my male ancestors by at least 20 years. We'll see. My wife retired 2 years ago at age 63. We aren't wealthy and we aren't poor. We have enough. We can live off of our Social Security payments at this point and not even touch retirement savings unless we want to.

Time is indeed greater than money for us.

The cartoon illustrates is a true testament in life. I know of many friends that are still in the work force trying to get every penny they can. Most if not all, could have retired many years ago and still plugging along. If not for the money it is their title and the pride, they have in their title.

I know most thought I was wrong for retiring at 58 and might have laughed at me. Lol I know of an accountant that is 68 still working and did laugh at me recently when I said I should have retired earlier.

I have a friend that just went to doctor and what he told me of his health problems I'm afraid to ask him what the Doc said and is going to do. He is still working too.

The decision is a tough one to stop or keep going but with life being so unpredictable I took the leap, and I did leave a lot of money behind. That is okay, though.

Just had an old school mate text me last night his sister died at age 70. She worked till just a few years ago as a real estate agent.

Got to do what makes you happy in life.

To street,jldavid47,nap470, old medic, Popeye, shotgunner, Calico,

Thanks for all of the inspiration that NOW is the time (maybe sooner but we can't turn back time). I was just in the hospital last week with a random unexpected medical issue which was another reminder that its time to STOP working and retire. I'm doing fine now but any hesitation I had about retiring this year is now gone.

The other "mantra" which someone on this forum quoted (sorry I don't remember who) which I repeat often is:

"Work is trading time for money. Eventually, you're trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend."

Thanks all!

My father passed at 56 years old when I was a senior in college. He had many fishing trips planned in his mind for when he retired from farming. It changed the way I saved and invested throughout my work career. My lifelong friend passed at 55. He was a larger-than-life type person. My peers thought I was bluffing and irresponsible when I left my job at 59. I told my boss (who stayed at the office into the evening everyday hoping to get to a C suite) and HR in my resignation letter, "No one on their deathbed ever wished they had worked more hours"

my dad died on the golf course at 48. i was 18, almost 19. i can't say that put the idea of FIRE into my consciousness at that time but it certainly played a part later on. i turned 72 on 8/10 and started year 18 of retirement on 8/11.

But I think the OP wanted a money > time cartoon. Maybe a picture of Scrooge Mcduck?

Many of my friends have died before 67. My dad’s health was so bad at 54 from his job that he had to retire. Then at 59 he had a massive stroke and although he lived there was no quality of life. I retired at 58 and then worked part time at a new career teaching for 8 years. I have been fully retired for 2 years. Life is indeed short.

Is it just me or is this caption on the cartoon backwards. Shouldn’t it be dollars greater than time on the tombstone? I get the concept of course just not the execution of the cartoon. Maybe I’m just being dense, wouldn’t be the first time.

I'm glad I'm working on my boat and not working at my job - :)

Yet, some people have all the time, but no money. This would not be good either.

Re: the bum on the street photo. I've heard that some people make a decent living begging. Obviously not all, but I've seen some around here wearing high-end clothing and name-brand sneakers, carrying expensive looking backpacks and drinking Starbucks coffees. I very often see people stop to donate. If it happens that often just during the few seconds I'm waiting out the red light, imagine how many donations they get per day.

Is it just me or is this caption on the cartoon backwards. Shouldn’t it be dollars greater than time on the tombstone? I get the concept of course just not the execution of the cartoon. Maybe I’m just being dense, wouldn’t be the first time.

It makes sense to me. The walking man is thinking that old saying "time is money," while the one under the tombstone is thinking that maybe time is worth more (greater) than money, after all.

I believe there is more to the equation than just work or don't work. There are other factors. In the past year we have been to Roatan (Scuba trip), St Croix x2, San Diego X2, VA Beach, Atlantic Beach (NC), VT and PA. All while still working-mostly from home. I have a spread of male friends (31-86). The ones who are older all tell me that it is important to stay active mentally and physically. That doesn't have to mean having a job. But, I do love aviation and like what I do. I solve aviation problems mostly from home. Easy 6 figures and the politics, commute and BS are very minimal. If work get's in the way of anything I want to do, of course I will fully retire. But, I need to ensure that staying mentally and physically challenged stays a priority. We already won the FI game with 2 military pensions and almost free medical.

I lost my only sibling to cancer in her mid 50's. That was a wake up call. Then I lost a good friend to the disease. A louder wake-up call. Then a few other acquaintances passed. For a while I felt like it was only a matter of time until I was struck down. 15 years later, here I am.

All the deaths, motivated me to retire early. On the advice of a friend I went to a teacher's retirement presentation on a Saturday in August. To my surprise I found that largest obstacle to retirement - medical insurance - could be worked out. It was a bit costly, but nothing that would break the bank. Two months later I told my principal that 2012 was my last year. I never looked back.

Last edited:
2 medics lost their lives this week in the Carolinas. Both related to work crashes, 32 and 56 years old. That and the risk of other injuries help me decide to call it quits at 58.
Besides... I'm dangerous enough to myself without the job.

I can relate to that. When working I went to eight line-of-duty funerals, two of them within my first three years. I gave serious thought to looking for another career. About 25% went out on permanent disability. At least where I worked a disability retirement was NOT easy to get, or keep. Yes some do heal up enough to get called back. Every one of the people who went out on disability said they'd much have preferred to keep working and skip the pain.

I feel very fortunate to have both survived and kept my body intact. There is an element of just plain luck in that.

I kept this cartoon at work in my last couple of years there. I showed it to one coworker who just couldn’t get it, no matter how hard I tried to explain it. Rather sad, really. Now in my early 60s, sometimes I reflect on those who died young: brother at 53, college best friend at 53, high school buddy at 59, coworker and friend from my early career at 64. Mom at 65 (doesn’t seem such an old age anymore). Glad I could retire at 57.

I believe there is more to the equation than just work or don't work. There are other factors. In the past year we have been to Roatan (Scuba trip), St Croix x2, San Diego X2, VA Beach, Atlantic Beach (NC), VT and PA. All while still working-mostly from home. I have a spread of male friends (31-86). The ones who are older all tell me that it is important to stay active mentally and physically. That doesn't have to mean having a job. But, I do love aviation and like what I do. I solve aviation problems mostly from home. Easy 6 figures and the politics, commute and BS are very minimal. If work get's in the way of anything I want to do, of course I will fully retire. But, I need to ensure that staying mentally and physically challenged stays a priority. We already won the FI game with 2 military pensions and almost free medical.
I haven't REed but I have heard old timers saying "I am busier than ever in RE, I can't imagine I had time when I was working". I think you will do more if you RE. I know I will. Currently my fun projects drags on for weeks/months because my work comes in my way. We live on a farm so you never run out of things to stay active, both physically and mentally.

Back
Top Bottom