Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Those of you who get most exercised about this topic should take a ride in an Air Force cargo plane sometime.

Restroom Facilities on a USAF C-130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This is the head on a submarine. Once you become accustomed to it, no other toilet will ever distress you.
Of course in both these cases you are being paid rather than being asked to pay for the privilege.

On the new 787s I find the doors to the bathrooms so flimsy and hinged so poorly that I can't imagine that they are going to be very durable.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I thought those things were so fast, you wouldn't even need a toilet
The wine is flowing as soon as you got on the plane. And they keep it coming...three hours to NYC and one trip to the head.

For what those flights cost back then, you have to eat and drink a lot to feel like you got your money's worth.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got it. So now I understand we civilians are all headed toward military service standards?

Seriously, thank you for your service and sacrifice. We seem to be getting just a tiny, tiny, tiny touch of understanding of the many sacrifices you all had to make.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is the head on a submarine. Once you become accustomed to it, no other toilet will ever distress you.
You've never used a squatty-potty in a moving train in India, have you?

In answer to the question on whether the lavs in Business Class are bigger- not that I've ever noticed on the long hauls I've taken on BA and the major US airlines. There IS a higher ratio of lavs to passengers, though, and the seats/pods are roomy enough that you can get to the lav from a Window seat without requiring your seatmate to get up or becoming unnecessarily intimate with them. Both are major advantages.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Frequent flyer back when I was working.... fly only occasionally last 7 years while retired. On my last flight the head was very small... while I could turn around in it I know several people who could not.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I was on an L-1011 sometime back in the dark ages, about 1985 or so. What I distinctly remember was in the back there was this "lobby" with a ring of 5 bathrooms around it. Roomy and nice. No lines up the isles. Vapors away from the seating.
I don't remember that configuration, but the L-1011 was one of my favorite planes back in the day.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I've done well over 2 hundred flights between Chicago and Phoenix and I don't think I've ever been in the bathroom on any of these flights. But 4 hours is about my limit. I went a couple times on Aer Lingus to Ireland and it really wasn't too bad.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I suspect even a submariner might have objected to the loo on a train I took in England. Being on Uncle Sam's dime, I had to ride in third class. There was only one toilet, which did not flush. It was...brimming. After one look, I somehow managed to hold off till the destination..

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #29

Quote:
This is the head on a submarine. ... <snip>
I remember those days.

The newer submarines have more normal toilets, and special pumps to empty the sanitary tanks. No high pressure air needed, though it is available as a backup.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Those of you who get most exercised about this topic should take a ride in an Air Force cargo plane sometime.

Restroom Facilities on a USAF C-130
A rare sight: The raised cargo ramp of a C-130 that doesn't have a loadmaster's hammock stretched over it.

Note to passengers: If you are throwing up into the honey bucket, into a barf bag, or anywhere else and you spill anything in that airplane, you will be cleaning it up. It is an old tradition and well enforced. Admiral, general, sergeant, or private, you'll be shown where the sponges and buckets are. No one is going to direct the loadmaster to clean up after you, please do not ask.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

On our trip down to La Quinta Ca from Oregon we tried to avoid the smoke and went through Klamath Falls to Carson City and Pahrump NV. before cutting across the desert to La Quinta. Because I'm a sucker for old houses we did a little three hour detour over to Fallon outside Reno so I could look at an unmolested old place. Sure, it was a tad rough.. but looking is easy. I think the bathroom may have been an afterthought. The door swing did just clear the toilet edge (I've seen places with door relief cuts for the toilet), but it only opened about 60 degrees before running into the front of the wall-hung sink. Opposite front corner of said sink extended well over the basin of the cast iron tub. I don't think there was a 12"square to step into to close the door after opening it. This is the most flattering picture the RE agent could muster:

https://www.zillow.com/savedhomes/fo..._zm/1_rs/1_fr/

Image 8.

My picture from outside is less attractive:

I look with awe and wonder at the accomplishments of small people from earlier times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3620[1].jpg (382.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We are both skinny people, but if y'all keep up this kind of talk, I may just forgo air travel and stick to my 25' class C RV.

My motorhome is nothing luxurious, but the bathroom layout is like shown in the photo below (borrowed from the Web).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #33

How come ADA doesn't have a say-so on toilets for handicapped on air planes? Because of the toilets, my dad can't fly. Oh, I suppose they'll sell him a ticket and board him, but when he needs to use the toilet, then what? He has 'accidents' if he can't get to a toilet when he needs to. Imagine a 2 or 3 hour flight and the old geezer next to you has crapped his drawers?
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

The WC in a bar in France in the early eighties: one four inch round hole in the floor. I did it! The best part were the foot treads on either side.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny View Post
The WC in a bar in France in the early eighties: one four inch round hole in the floor. I did it! The best part were the foot treads on either side.
I was just in a bar in southern France about 2 months ago, same set up.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
How come ADA doesn't have a say-so on toilets for handicapped on air planes? Because of the toilets, my dad can't fly. Oh, I suppose they'll sell him a ticket and board him, but when he needs to use the toilet, then what? He has 'accidents' if he can't get to a toilet when he needs to. Imagine a 2 or 3 hour flight and the old geezer next to you has crapped his drawers?
That is a really good question.

I had thought about the 550 lbs fat folks, like the one that sat beside me flying to Amsterdam, they probably have to back in as I find turning around a tight fit.
It would be totally impossible if you are in a wheelchair.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #37

So I got curious and looked it up;
Quote:
U.S. law only requires airlines to provide an accessible toilet on wide-body airplanes with dual aisles. Wide-body airplanes include the Airbus A330, Airbus A340, Airbus A350, Airbus A380, Boeing 747, Boeing 767, Boeing 777 and Boeing 787. Airlines are required to provide onboard aisle chairs on aircraft with an accessible lavatory. While some airlines have installed accessible lavatories on narrow-body airplanes including the Airbus A220, Airbus A320, Airbus A321 and Boeing 757, they are not required to do so by law. Travelers should not count on an accessible lavatory being available on a single aisle aircraft.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:36 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't remember that configuration, but the L-1011 was one of my favorite planes back in the day.
Here's a floor plan, exactly as I remember. Lots of room to wait and do your thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l1011.JPG (39.1 KB, 26 views)
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #39

I remember that layout at the back of the Tri-Star. The 777 has two of four bathrooms at the back (in some configurations) that were quite spacious as well.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Shameful imo and frankly a heath and sanitation issue. Just a few days ago I was on a flight with one of these sitting in the front of the plane close the bathroom.

One of the passengers became sick - not sure if it was flu or food poisoning or something else but spewage ensued. This person could not fit in the bathroom with the door closed. In order to face the toilet and bend over (usual position when retching) the door had to be open. We all watched and listened and as awful as I thought that was, it was surely much worse for the sick person.

Perhaps we need some regulation here to ensure basic services if airlines aren't willing to self regulate?
I'm not big on regs, but you have a good point I think.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote