Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
So I got curious and looked it up;
Quote:
U. S. law only requires airlines to provide an accessible toilet on wide-body airplanes with dual aisles. Wide-body airplanes include the Airbus A330, Airbus A340, Airbus A350, Airbus A380, Boeing 747, Boeing 767, Boeing 777 and Boeing 787. Airlines are required to provide onboard aisle chairs on aircraft with an accessible lavatory. While some airlines have installed accessible lavatories on narrow-body airplanes including the Airbus A220, Airbus A320, Airbus A321 and Boeing 757, they are not required to do so by law. Travelers should not count on an accessible lavatory being available on a single aisle aircraft.
Wow... this is astonishing. I had never thought about it until seeing this thread, but I wonder how wheelchair-bound folks travel between distant cities in the U.S. Either they a) forego flying altogether, or b) fly only on routes where they know the plane will have an accessible toilet, or c) hold it in on flights where the plane doesn't have a bathroom they can use. I know from personal experience that option c) isn't always possible, despite one's best intentions. It's kind of amazing that there isn't more of an outcry about this.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #42

There were rumors a few years ago that a well-known deep discount airline was considering removing some lavatories (as planes sometimes have more lav capacity than is required by law).
Removing a lav allows 2-3 more seat$ and saves a lot of weight, which saves fuel. To make this work, they (according to the rumor) would decrease demand for the WC by making them pay toilets, so people would be more likely to use the bathroom at the airport before boarding. It could be an urban legend, but believable in the context of other outrages they perpetrate on passengers.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #43

Or just have the flight attendants walk down the aisle with one of those trays.

"Corks? Rubber bands?"
Old 11-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
There were rumors a few years ago that a well-known deep discount airline was considering removing some lavatories (as planes sometimes have more lav capacity than is required by law).
Removing a lav allows 2-3 more seat$ and saves a lot of weight, which saves fuel. To make this work, they (according to the rumor) would decrease demand for the WC by making them pay toilets, so people would be more likely to use the bathroom at the airport before boarding. It could be an urban legend, but believable in the context of other outrages they perpetrate on passengers.
Was this the same airline that looked at eliminating seats on short flights so everyone could just stand?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

"Corks? Rubber bands?"
I think they'd abandon the idea when they counted the number of "lemonade bottles" left in the seat back pockets by passengers. At best. "Charge me to use the toilet? Here's what I think of that."
Old 11-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

FWIW - the bathrooms in First Class are not any better than economy. At least not in the lower 48 states. At least not when I have flown which is about 5 or 6 times a year.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Was this the same airline that looked at eliminating seats on short flights so everyone could just stand?
I know for sure that was a legit preliminary study done by an Asian short-haul carrier. The plan was to have folks strap in to an upright stretcher/plank/surface. Lots more people fit in, no underseat stowage so people could be charged for more checked bags, faster turn times (people are already standing, no waiting for them to fetch bags from all the nooks and crannies). I think crash safety issues would have been a problem.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
......... I think crash safety issues would have been a problem.
I'd love to see a crash simulation.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #49

I have always wanted to fly on the a plane with the Japanese business hotel 'seating' format for long haul flights.. A honeycomb of horizontal tubes. Maybe not as quick to evacuate in runway emergencies but might be safer in turbulence and crashes and definitely less blood clots
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'd love to see a crash simulation.
It would be a challenge to design things right.
But with an aft-facing setup, a slight incline, good torso restraints, and maybe some energy absorbing material under foot it could actually reduce serious injuries compared to the present cabins. Still, if no one is seriously injured but 50% of the passengers have sprained/broken ankles or leg fractures, then evacuation becomes a problem. With a fire or in the water--a nightmare.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Likely true. We flew Delta first class on our Alaska tour, and while I don't recall any trouble fitting in the bathroom, it was not exactly roomy.

My experience with business class has been with international carriers on international flights, specifically Emirates. The bathrooms, while hardly immense, are definitely bigger than I am used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
FWIW - the bathrooms in First Class are not any better than economy. At least not in the lower 48 states. At least not when I have flown which is about 5 or 6 times a year.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

It sure would be an issue for anyone with venous insufficiency. Feet and ankles would be so swollen, they could hardly get off the plane.

Quote:
I know for sure that was a legit preliminary study done by an Asian short-haul carrier. The plan was to have folks strap in to an upright stretcher/plank/surface. Lots more people fit in, no underseat stowage so people could be charged for more checked bags, faster turn times (people are already standing, no waiting for them to fetch bags from all the nooks and crannies). I think crash safety issues would have been a problem.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

"Corks? Rubber bands?"
Are they going to watch too, to make sure the devices are correctly applied? Just like making sure seat belts are fastened?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #54

It wasn't too long ago (and still in the remote bush of Alaska) that if you took a "commuter" plane, it had no restrooms (such as the Beech 1900) and those flights *could* be about 2 hours long.

Speaking of airplanes and lavs...how about an old Air Force tale?

I heard a story once of a C-5 (very large cargo airplane that has 3 lavs, one of which is quite large) that was doing a fighter "drag" across the ocean. A fighter "drag" is basically a small fleet of fighters that are going across a large body of water with a tanker airplane or airplanes that act in essence as a "gas station" while in route. Usually, a cargo plane (or several) will leave a little before (or after) with the maintenance personnel and spare parts on board and will get to the final destination within a couple of hours of the fighters and tankers.

ANYWAY...so on one of these drags, the C-5 was cruising along when a F-16 fighter pulled up next to them to harass them for having such a large, "boring" airplane. After some bantering back and forth, the F-16 driver pulled away and did a series of very impressive loops and other tricks that were very fun to watch. He then told the crew of the C-5, "Did you like that? Too bad you can't do cool stuff like that!!!". Well, the pilot of the C-5 responded with, "Yeah, that is cool. I tell you what...let me show you something". Well, the radio fell silent for an extended period and then finally, the C-5 pilot got back on the radio and asked, "How'd you like that trick?" The F-16 pilot responded back, "Uh, what are you talking about? I didn't see any trick!". The C-5 pilot quipped, "You didn't see it? Well, I will tell you what I did. You see, I got up and walked to the back. I put some pizza in the oven and took a quick pee break. I cleaned up a little, sat at a table and ate my pizza and then went to the bunk and took a quick 20 minute nap. Then, I came back up here. So how do you like THOSE tricks?!?"