Tip the Owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, thank goodness no one here ever presents personal opinions or anecdotal information, including yourself, as conclusions. Good to know you will point that out arbitrarily...knock yourself out.

Personal opinions and anecdotes are fine with me - drawing conclusions from them is not proper nor helpful though.

It's not arbitrary, I often point that out on the polls here, when someone says "This poll shows that..." . I point out it's a self-selected poll, you can't draw conclusions from it.

I'm curious where I've drawn a conclusion from anything like that. That doesn't sound like me. Can you point to an example? Maybe I need a little introspection? Thanks.

-ERD50

Yep, thank goodness no one here ever presents personal opinions or anecdotal information, including yourself, as conclusions. Good to know you will point that out arbitrarily...knock yourself out.

True enough but you did use the survey as a chance to call some of us whiny..if you're gonna dish it out ya hafta take some flak in return :LOL:

Last edited:
Only harmful if the guy's wife is the one figuring the tip...:dance:
Oh, I think she's OK with it. After all, I know the real reason she's seen every single movie George Clooney has been in, and it's not the story-line! :)

-ERD50

Perhaps y’all can move on now …

Or just read the link in my earlier post which was not personal, but provided non-anecdotal data with a different perspective :D.

Or just read the link in my earlier post which was not personal, but provided non-anecdotal data with a different perspective :D.

I did, thanks. Not sure how they collected the data, but it looks reasonable. Thanks for posting it.

One thing, though .. when I saw the first table with the blue horizontal bars, my initial reaction was, well, that the graph was making an inappropriate gesture ..

I don’t care if it’s the owner I tip 20% for decent service. The service has to be really bad for me to only tip 10% or the server really rude. That rarely happens. I think it’s a tough job. Good servers can make really good money. I used to eat out twice a week and now I only go twice a month. With prices so high I no longer see the value but when I do eat out I will tip well. I belong to a dining group and we go out for happy hour. If I just have a drink or dessert I tip much more than 20% because I am taking up space at the table. I think you need to adjust to the situation.

I don't know why portable card machines are so rare in the US. I can't think of a single restaurant in Canada that doesn't use them. Yet when we travel to the US almost every time that we use a credit card we're expected to hand it to the server and let them disappear with it for several minutes.

Chip-n-pin is almost obsolete and still not used much.
Do any restaurants use services such as Apple-Pay? if so, do they expect the customer to turn over his/her mobile phone to the server?

Do any restaurants use services such as Apple-Pay? if so, do they expect the customer to turn over his/her mobile phone to the server?

I would hope not. Phones are pretty nasty. Maybe you have to pay at the checkout.

The beverage cart girl at the golf course does if she wants bigger tips. [-]Some overweight 60-year old [/-]men can be fooled into thinking that the 22-year old cutie driving the cart thinks that they're special. :LOL:

There, fixed it for ya! :)

The last time we went to Fogo de Chao, they brought a tablet to the table and we could pay using Apple/Google pay. I think they said it was being implemented at all their locations.

The beverage cart girl at the golf course does if she wants bigger tips. Some overweight 60-year old men can be fooled into thinking that the 22-year old cutie driving the cart thinks that they're special. :LOL:

Heck, even if the 60 year old man is under no illusion at all that the girl thinks thinks they are special, and he knows they are only doing it in the hopes of a bigger tip, the old guy might still appreciate the smile and a little bit of alluring eye contact. No harm in that, is there?

Maybe the young, attractive server knows she's brightening the old guy's day just a bit, why not spread a little sunshine?

-ERD50

This is why I bring my own drinks and snacks when I golf. Problem solved!:D

Heck, even if the 60 year old man is under no illusion at all that the girl thinks thinks they are special, and he knows they are only doing it in the hopes of a bigger tip, the old guy might still appreciate the smile and a little bit of alluring eye contact. No harm in that, is there?

Maybe the young, attractive server knows she's brightening the old guy's day just a bit, why not spread a little sunshine?

-ERD50

Occasionally this old man will be treated by a 20 something cutie with a smile and "what can I get you sweetie/darlin/honey (take your pick)". No illusions here but I like it. Heck I would still like it if she was 50+ :D

Cheers!

Occasionally this old man will be treated by a 20 something cutie with a smile and "what can I get you sweetie/darlin/honey (take your pick)". No illusions here but I like it. Heck I would still like it if she was 50+ :D

Cheers!

Someone their 20s saying that to me would creep me out. At this stage of life I go by the "half your age plus 7" rule :).

Last edited:

Cheers!

Before I met my current wife (about 5 years ago) if I saw a cute 20-something my first thought would usually be: "Hmm, I wonder what her mom looks like..." :)

Before I met my current wife (about 5 years ago) if I saw a cute 20-something my first thought would usually be: "Hmm, I wonder what her mom looks like..." :)

And now what is your first thought? (yes, I'm trying to get you in trouble! :) )

-ERD50

The whole percentage thing is nuts. I love going to somewhere like Applebees and giving someone $20 tip. I hate being served 4 fine dinners at Per Se or French Laundry with fine wines and paying 20% of that. The effort to pour wine is the same whether it’s a $20 bottle or a $400 bottle. The Applebees server isn’t doing much less than the French Laundry server ( ok they like to simultaneously drop particular courses a la Opera Style..whoopy do). And I totally agree with those who think that the new 20% is wacko since it’s inflation over inflation.

One of our most vociferous posters in this subject says that he made bank on being a waiter at high end restaurants. Great. Everyone should make as much bank as they can. But don’t expect me to think that you deserve it. You deserve what you negotiate and good for you. And good for anyone else pushing back on that. It’s not a high skilled job.

And don’t get me started on those screens that some cashiers turn around to me expecting 20 or 25% tip.

The whole percentage thing is nuts. I love going to somewhere like Applebees and giving someone $20 tip. I hate being served 4 fine dinners at Per Se or French Laundry with fine wines and paying 20% of that.

You do realize that at The French Laundry, the tip is already included in the bill. It wasn’t obvious when I was looking at the $1,400 bill to figurenout the tip, but my guest from England insisted the tip was included. So DH actually called over the maitre d’ who confirmed a 15% service charge was already included in the final bill.

You do realize that at The French Laundry, the tip is already included in the bill. It wasn’t obvious when I was looking at the $1,400 bill to figurenout the tip, but my guest from England insisted the tip was included. So DH actually called over the maitre d’ who confirmed a 15% service charge was already included in the final bill.

Yes. The advertised price includes service and taxes. Very civilized [emoji16]

Every foodie should have dinner at TFL once, but I’d never go back. Once they firmly established their reputation for great food with imagination in the late 90’s, maximizing profitability became the first priority. Still great, but expect to be fleeced for the pleasure. YMMV

Last edited:
Every foodie should have dinner at TFL once, but I’d never go back. Once they firmly established their reputation for great food with imagination in the late 90’s, maximizing profitability became the first priority. Still great, but expect to be fleeced for the pleasure. YMMV

So totally not worth it for me. I would have preferred a homecooked meal by my grandmother. Obviously YMMV

Interesting that there are six “3 Michelin Star” restaurants in CA . All in the Bay Area. And at $350 minimum French Laundry is the least expensive, or ties for it. Most are in the 400s.

So totally not worth it for me. I would have preferred a homecooked meal by my grandmother. Obviously YMMV

+1. I'm a steak and potatoes gal. "Foodie" does not resonate with me. Have a friend who ate at the French Laundry several years ago and she agrees. Said it was interesting, but not her cup of tea either.

Interesting that there are six “3 Michelin Star” restaurants in CA . All in the Bay Area. And at $350 minimum French Laundry is the least expensive, or ties for it. Most are in the 400s.

And it’s $200 corkage fee if you just bring one bottle of your own wine. How about that for a tip [emoji16]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom