Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I look at the waitress and if she's a student,someone who looks down on her luck or an older woman I leave more . I feel this is my way to give back . Otherwise $1 to $2 a person.
That's funny, you can look at people and know if they need money. I would guess that anyone doing that job would need the money, but that's just me. I try to tip based on the service but always leave a good tip.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
How about tipping for pizza delivery? How much do you tip there?

For deliveries (not pizza, but whatever) I give $5, regardless of the size of the bill.

For the buffet I'd also do 10%.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #23

We leave 10% for buffets. We have noticed that there are many people that don't leave anything.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #24

If I couldn't afford to leave a couple of bucks for some minimum wage worker at a buffet, I would stay at home and eat cheese and crackers.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
If I couldn't afford to leave a couple of bucks for some minimum wage worker at a buffet, I would stay at home and eat cheese and crackers.
If everyone stays home, wouldn't these workers be out of a job?

But, I understand your point.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #26

10% is about right at a buffet...i wonder tho if they make only 2.15/hr or min wage or get a lot of tables or what? if its just 2 of us i leave 3 bucks at the golden corral if we go.....18 bucks for 2 people

i left a huge tip today at a burger joint ive been craving for months....wife thought i was nuts....just because i was so happy to eat my 10oz burger with 6 strips of bacon, dripping with cheese and grease....mmmmm

its like an instituition...fri and sat night youre gonna wait an hour or 2...good thing they have a bar. maybe only 20 tables? food is overpriced, but soooo good. cash only. want fries? costs extra. ranch to dip wings? extra. pop? comes in a can so no refills.... i was kinda put off the first time i was there but fell in love after i suffered arm fatigue from holding that burger to my face for 20 minutes....

but i must say....i'm paying for all that grease right now....
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #27

I think a lower tip is okay at buffets, they usually have a lot more tables thus volume per person. Figure if each table left $3 and they handled six tables per hour you've got $18/hour in tips right there, although I've got no clue whether they really keep it or into a pot with the workers in the kitchen etc.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 AM   #28

I always over tip if the service is good and tip the usual when the service is not so good, but I let the server know why. I work for tips now and it amazes me how some people leave $5 for an hour massage!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I work for tips now and it amazes me how some people leave $5 for an hour massage!
Is that amount low for a massage? That is almost minimum wage (the tip alone). I wouldn't think it was low, never having paid for a massage before. I mean if you are paying $40-60/hr for a massage, at least a substantial part of that is going straight to the masseuse I would assume.

But again, tipping is weird, strange, bizarre. I'd rather just know the price up front, and if something isn't worth the price, I'd complain and never do business there again, or negotiate a price I'm willing to pay if the list price is close to the value I receive.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #30

Well depends on where you are practicing....some clinics give the therapist 15-18 dollars per hour massage and the rest is via tip. Spas usually give 35% but you have to be a cleaning slave during the hours you are not working. Private therapists don't require a tip since they keep the entire amount and charge anywhere from $65-$95 an hour.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #31

Here in JP the waiter would chase you down with the money you left on the table for him. In some countries in Europe you don't tip, and do in others. It is next to impossible to remember all of the cultural differences, so if I see a gratuity on the bill, I will never leave a tip. If not, I think about it, and leave something (or not) depending on the service. One place recently included a gratuity on the bill (18%) and then had a line on the bill where you could add additional gratuity ( I didn't, the service was mediocre). All I could think was..."what nerve, to bill an 18% gratuity and then ask for more"...

As for buffets in the states, I have rarely left anything more than a buck a plate, unless the service was really good, and with a smile.

R
Old 11-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The last time I visited a restaurant they brought the electronic register to the table and the screen offered options for tipping including 15%, a dollar amount, or a wildcard. I chose 15%, which turned out to be marginally more than what I would have estimated. (Normally I tend to choose an approximation that rounds it out to an even dollar number).

There are now quite a few restaurants whose gimmick is that you choose to pay what you believe the meal is worth. Apparently initial results suggest that customers pay more than the restaurant would have put on the menu.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #33

I would tip the usual 15% even at a buffet. They often give better service than at regular service as they are not all over you asking how your meal is in the hope that you will give a fatter tip.

Pizza, I will always give a couple of dollars on the infrequent occasion that we get delivery. However, if my pizza was $15 I would probably give $20 and tell them to keep the change.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But again, tipping is weird, strange, bizarre. I'd rather just know the price up front, and if something isn't worth the price, I'd complain and never do business there again, or negotiate a price I'm willing to pay if the list price is close to the value I receive.

Fuego,

I can totally relate to your sentiment.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I'm just back from spending a while in what Mexico call Riviera Maya and every time I turned around someone in our group was tipping somebody for something. For example, we went to Coba ruins and hired an English speaking guide for about $30. He gave great info and was a nice Mayan host. One in our group also gave him an extra 100 pesos ($7.50) after the 1 hour tour. I asked why since $30 is a lot of cash to these folks. The response ~ "He seems like a nice guy". I had no problem with this, I'm just sayin...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #36

think twice about not tipping:

Couple arrested for not tipping waitress | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
The restaurant could call it a fee for a large group rather than gratuity.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #38
Administrator

For pizza delivery I used to give a minimum of 15%, usually more (can't remember the last time I had a pizza delivered).

Out of country I try to research what is expected. For example when I went to India for 2 weeks on business the travel guide said to tip every one including the laundry walla - it also said to bear in mind that a dollar was a lot of money to a typical Indian in the service industry so don't get obsessed with percentages.

In Europe, even though gratuity is usually included, I will give a tip if the service is particularly good.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I always over tip if the service is good and tip the usual when the service is not so good, but I let the server know why. I work for tips now and it amazes me how some people leave $5 for an hour massage!
I may over tip for exceptional service, but if the service is poor, the tip is poor.

Jim
Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I'm just back from spending a while in what Mexico call Riviera Maya and every time I turned around someone in our group was tipping somebody for something. For example, we went to Coba ruins and hired an English speaking guide for about $30. He gave great info and was a nice Mayan host. One in our group also gave him an extra 100 pesos ($7.50) after the 1 hour tour. I asked why since $30 is a lot of cash to these folks. The response ~ "He seems like a nice guy". I had no problem with this, I'm just sayin...
We just got back from a resort in Mexico, we had the "all-inclusive" option at the resort. We were told that tipping was "included" and not expected. We found that we didn't get decent service, the wait staff hovered around the folks that were peso paying customers first.

Tipping guides etc on tours is generally expected and appreciated. Unless you toured with a self employed guide, he/her did not pocket the $30. I read an article that the minimum wage in Mexico is 52 pesos per DAY.

Jim