Join Early Retirement Today

Tipping
Old 11-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tipping

We just got back from a buffet. Waiter brought water, cleared the dishes, and offered to refill water once. So do you tip at buffets? If so, then how much? I normally leave a buck per person, this worked out to about 10% of the bill in this case.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think 10% is about right for a buffet.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We just got back from a buffet. Waiter brought water, cleared the dishes, and offered to refill water once. So do you tip at buffets? If so, then how much? I normally leave a buck per person, this worked out to about 10% of the bill in this case.
That's what we normally leave for a buffet....unless the waitress is really cute, and then I'll leave more!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That is $1 more than a lot of people will leave--we were at a breakfast buffet last weekend and the waitress brought coffee (and refills), juice (and refills), water (and refills), and cleared the plates as some of us kept going up for seconds. We followed a couple of other tablefuls of people out of the place and I noticed they hadn't left anything on the table. Possible of course that they had handed it to the waitress.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Perfect. That is exactly how much I would have left.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I do 15%, but I tip 20% at a regular restaurant. I figure they are keeping the buffet filled, bussing tables, etc. Of course if they don't keep up with the drinks or if there are any problems I would decrease it. At least at the buffet I go to occasionally the wait staff does everything, as opposed to regular restaurants where they only wait tables.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

I look at the waitress and if she's a student,someone who looks down on her luck or an older woman I leave more . I feel this is my way to give back . Otherwise $1 to $2 a person.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We always give $1 per person at the "poor person" buffets my family goes to. If you're going to a $20+ per plate buffet then $2 per person would probably be more appropriate. So I guess that works out to about 10%.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about tipping for pizza delivery? How much do you tip there?
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
How about tipping for pizza delivery? How much do you tip there?
The last time I had pizza delivered was 1997. However, as I recall I always tipped at least a couple of bucks. If the bill was $16-$17, I would just give the guy a $20 and tell him to keep the change. If someone is having to deliver pizza, an arduous and sometimes dangerous job, he can use a little extra. Also, he doesn't get as many tips in an evening as the waitress at a buffet.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The last time I had pizza delivered was 1997. However, as I recall I always tipped at least a couple of bucks. If the bill was $16-$17, I would just give the guy a $20 and tell him to keep the change. If someone is having to deliver pizza, an arduous and sometimes dangerous job, he can use a little extra. Also, he doesn't get as many tips in an evening as the waitress at a buffet.
I once dated someone whose brother did pizza deliveries. He said he could pull in close to $500 in tips on a good day during the Super Bowl.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #12

No one delivers pizza this far out! When we lived in town it was between two and three bucks, on a $20 dollar pizza. Anyone know what they get paid?
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I once dated someone whose brother did pizza deliveries. He said he could pull in close to $500 in tips on a good day during the Super Bowl.
If he delivered a pizza every 15 minutes for 8 hours, that would be 32 deliveries. He would have averaged more than $15 per tip! Guess that's what over-consumption of alcohol will do to one's judgment.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I suspect on Super Bowl day he'd be doing a lot of multiple pizza deliveries. That might improve his per delivery average a bit.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That is $1 more than a lot of people will leave--we were at a breakfast buffet last weekend and the waitress brought coffee (and refills), juice (and refills), water (and refills), and cleared the plates as some of us kept going up for seconds. We followed a couple of other tablefuls of people out of the place and I noticed they hadn't left anything on the table. Possible of course that they had handed it to the waitress.
Yes, I tip at buffets. Usually a buck per person. Sometimes just $3 if it is me+DW+2 kids. Sometimes more than a buck a person if the buffet is more expensive (ie over $10) in which case it would probably be 10-15% of the meal cost.

The place that really confuses me about tipping is an authentic Mexican restaurant we visit occasionally. Yes, an actual authentic real mexican restaurant. You order at a counter, they bring the plates and water out. You generally have to get up to ask for water refills and they have the soda machine for all to use in the seating area. And you have to get your own salsa from the salsa bar. But they will occasionally clear empty plates before you are done eating. I usually don't tip here, but occasionally do if the service is really good. Probably 1/2 or 1/3 the tables leave tips. Do you tip in this situation? The waitress is the cashier and she doesn't exactly wait on your table.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If he delivered a pizza every 15 minutes for 8 hours, that would be 32 deliveries. He would have averaged more than $15 per tip! Guess that's what over-consumption of alcohol will do to one's judgment.
Of course, a lot of deliveries were to parties where they might order 5-10 pizzas at once, and occasionally more. I doubt you could earn that much in tips by delivering one pizza at a time...
Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No one delivers pizza this far out! When we lived in town it was between two and three bucks, on a $20 dollar pizza. Anyone know what they get paid?
I delivered pizzas in 1999-2000. I got paid minimum wage plus 50 cents per delivery plus tips. On a good night I could leave with $100 in my pocket. Of course $20 of that would go to gas and the constant stop and go causes a lot of wear on your vehicle.

Absolute minimum of a dollar plus the change. $2 or $3 is much better. More if it's a very large order.

I may decide to semi-retire in my 40's and pizza delivery is most likely what i'd do to make a few extra dollars.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I leave about 10% at a buffet. 15%-18% elsewhere.

I am not a fan of tipping, because I don't really understand the rationale of it, but I do what I assume is expected of me, so I don't p*ss anybody off. (I don't want any loogie in my food...) You tip people (not all people but only some people) who help you I guess? Someone said if the person is old or a student, he tips more, so it's kind of like a gift/charity? There was a thread about tipping movers... you tip them because your goods are extra heavy, or you assume they are paid so little or because it is physical work? You get your car fixed at a car dealer, but nobody I know tips them, but you tip your hair dressers. Why? I one time tried to tip someone at a supermaket who helped, but he said no, he was not allowed.

I did waitressing about 25 years ago in AZ, and they had some state rule that allowed the employee to pay less than minimum wage. (I think I was paid $2 / hour. I think we had to declare 8% of our sales as income since they assumed we got paid more than 8% in gratuity which was taxable). I did expect a tip from customers then (at least 8%).
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #19

I would tip at least 10 percent at a buffet. More if the waitstaff were particularly attentive. I haven't ordered a pizza delivered in so long I can't remember it....ten years ago? But I would give someone at least three or four bucks to bring a $15 pizza to my door. I mean, showing up at your home with a bite to eat is quite a bit of service.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

There was a short article in the most recent Kiplingers about tipping. I was glad to see it, because I never know what to do about certain people (mail lady, UPS guy, etc). Whether you agree with it or not I was glad to get a few guidelines. Kiplinger.com