Tipping

Great story. I agree. I like to spread a little around. It means much more to those receiving than it does to me. I don't think tipping is getting out of hand at all. Far from it.

There are many ways to help those less fortunate than ourselves. But tipping becomes expected in some situations, and I'd much prefer that the employer offer the compensation, and the employees decide to accept it or not. It's their business, not mine.

Then I can spread out my charity as I see fit. It's not mutually exclusive at all.

-ERD50

So, after playing nine holes, I go into the clubhouse and ask the bartender for a can of soda. He passes it across the counter and I pay. Should I feel bad if I don't tip him? Yes, he is a bartender, but no... he didn't even open the can for me.
Is he someone you deal with frequently? If yes, then yes. If no, then probably not.

I was a caddy for years and recall very well the impact tips had on my income. I wasn't making minimum wage but difference between $25 and $35 for loop was huge to me. I provided consistently good service to everyone at the club -- good tipper or bad tipper I worked hard and was quite good at what I did.

I remember very well the rich old codgers who couldn't be bothered to tip more than $1.50 for 5.5 hours of shagging my butt thru weeds and trees chasing their crappy shots. And yes, some of them would actually tip in $0.50 increments. I'll never forget caddying after the crash of '87 when one guy bragged on the 4th tee that he had personally lost $20m the day before. He didn't seem too stressed about it. This guy who wasn't too stressed gave me a $2 tip that day. (I was one of the top ranked honor caddies at the club.). What a jerk.

I also remember how I felt about the people of all ages who were simply great to me. Treated me well and were always good for $5 tip per bag and a hot dog at the turn. They had means and I was still earning mine. To this day I have a book on golf that one guy gave me when I left for college...it had a note from him and a $100 bill inside. These were great people and their $5s were, at the margin, the difference between eating ramen noodles or not.

I'm on the other side now: I have substantial means and receive services of all sorts.

I try to tip generously to younger people in particular. I consider this a societal version of paying it back (or paying it forward depending on one's viewpoint). That $5 that I won't notice missing at the end of month allowed someone to eat tuna fish instead of ramen noodles.

LOL... this reminds me of a story I heard on TV about Frank Sinatra.... the guy that was being interviewed said that Frank was staying at a nice hotel... when he was leaving he asked the person helping him what was the biggest tip he had every received.... the guy said $100... so Frank pulled out $200 and gave it to him.... he then asked... who gave you the $100... the guy said 'you did last year'....

I will agree that someone who can lose $20 mill can tip a bit more and probably should... especially a caddy since that is one of the expected people to tip...

caddies work very hard - last time I had one the guy humped two bags and had to run in front of us on every shot

I think we tipped him $50 per bag maybe more?

my teaching pro has a son that caddies at Chambers Bay - apparently that course is an 8 mile uphill loop

I've been thinking about giving money. Liked the idea of giving a sum to the local cop shop for them to pass out at traffic stops or as they wish. Had seen a piece about someone doing that and it seemed like a neat way to engender good feelings between the law and the people. OTOH, how about giving it to the firemen? They certainly find people in serious need. Unexpected $100 tips at greasy spoons?? Or maybe Benny has the right idea up in Salem. 'Benny bills' worth more than $100 to recipients
At various times up in Oregon I've driven up to a window to get our mochas and found our bill was already paid by the car ahead - cashiers say it is common for a pay it forward chain to last for the better part of a day - and everybody feels good!

OTOFoot, those who expect tips or restaurants that just add 18% to a bill just piss me off. No good feelings there.

Bussers

Took DW, her sister and BIL out for dinner the other night. They chose the place. We were staying with them for the night. I get the check and BIL says, "We usually tip between 20 and 25 percent here. The wait staff has to share their tips with the bussers." I was planning on tipping 15 percent because the service was average at best. Even if it's questionable, I rarely go below 15.
I didn't, but I wanted to say, "It's not my fault that management here doesn't pay the bussers." I feel sorry for the wait staff but they can go elsewhere it they don't like the arrangement. I've never done it but I would tip the cook before I tipped the bussers.

Took DW, her sister and BIL out for dinner the other night. They chose the place. We were staying with them for the night. I get the check and BIL says, "We usually tip between 20 and 25 percent here. The wait staff has to share their tips with the bussers." I was planning on tipping 15 percent because the service was average at best. Even if it's questionable, I rarely go below 15.
I didn't, but I wanted to say, "It's not my fault that management here doesn't pay the bussers." I feel sorry for the wait staff but they can go elsewhere it they don't like the arrangement. I've never done it but I would tip the cook before I tipped the bussers.

isn't it normal for bussers etc to be tipped out?

I don't tip for service work that we need done. I do have a boot/shoe repair guy I have do some work on boots or shoes once in a while. I had him repair some stitching on a pair of boots and he asked for 6 dollars I think I gave him 10 dollars. The guy is so reasonable that I feel like I'm stealing from him when he asks for so little.

This is what aggravates me about tipping. So I'm supposed to know the inner workings of the compensation system of each restaurant I go to? Geez, I just want dinner. If I wanted to run a restaurant business, I'd open my own.

Charge me what you need to run your business. I'll either take your product at that price, go to your competitor, or eat at home. Is that so much to ask?

-ERD50

I have absolutely no idea who ends up with my tip money. Where I come from, the definition of a tip is to "insure proper 'service.'" I don't expect to pay extra to sit at a clean table and/or eat tasty food. If the place is clean and has great food, I'll return. The service would have to be consistently below average for me not to return to food I really like to eat.

Tipping is generally reserved for those most common situations. Waiters and bartenders and all the usual situations. DW insists on treating everyone fairly. Just because the bellcap or valet is in your face you don't treat them better than housekeeping. When travelling I'm quite generous. I guess it's kind of a Karma thing.
As far as the other contract people hired, where do you draw the line? Personally the only other person I tip is the guy that launches my boat every Spring. Piece of mind - Priceless.

Back
Top Bottom