Tipping

One night, we got a new server (to us). She had heard that we were easy customers and great tippers. We never got a single refill on the coffee, always an attitude, etc.
How odd! The other waitresses had already briefed her on your habits, but she chose to ignore and hassle you. :facepalm:

My father hardly ever tips. I notice sometimes he struggles with his service level, or quality of food. :D
But the research mentioned at the start of this thread indicates that the amount you tip makes no significant difference to what you actually receive.

I can imagine that the above might not hold true if you regularly dined at the same place ... but if your father gets poor service and food, he already has reasons to patronize different restaurants.

I read the tone of your post to be that servers in most states are making more than the $2.13/hr minimum, so don’t really need to be tipped. If I misread, I’m sorry. I just wanted to point out that in the vast majority of states, waitstaff is not paid an hourly wage of at least $7.25.
Just the opposite of what I meant, as I said I worked as a server long ago - I was very well rewarded with tips, accounting for more than 100% of my income. I am FOR tipping as is (but not pooling or some other games).

Again it’s not near as simple as the Federal $2.13/hr minimum the post I referred to noted. I also highlighted As of May 2017, the average hourly wage – including tips – for a restaurant employee in the United States that received tip income was $11.82. My point was simply the $2.13/hr has little to do with what servers make under the present tip status quo, so the status quo isn’t clearly broken for all servers.

And though there are merits to both sides, there are a lot of loose ends that go with eliminating the tip culture, that supporters may/not realize. In a earlier post I offered some notable restaurants that implemented no tipping and had to roll it back due to customers $ reactions - voting with their feet. With fewer customers, owners and servers were both worse off.

Last edited:
OK, this BS has to stop! I worked in food service when 10% was a decent tip, but all the servers were telling folks 15% was the new expectation.

I went along when it went to 20%. I know how hard life can be for some servers.

But don't give me any BS about inflation. Some of the hard-core data analysts on this site can chime in here, but my guess is that restaurant food prices have risen faster than inflation, so even at the same percentage, the tips have also been rising.

I so agree!!! When I was a teen and young adult, the standard tip for good service was 10%. Then I saw the same thing, it went up to 15% and that became the standard but it didn't stay there long and it went to 20%.

It will be a cold day before I give out 25% for standard service unless I choose to. Like others here have said, there are places I go where the service is excellent and the prices are low, so I tip heavier (as a percentage) at those places.

I've related this story before...I know a young gal who earned $10k in wages working 3 days a week in a local run of the mill chain restaurant, 2 mornings for the breakfast special and 1 wing night. On top of the $10k in wages over a year, she also earned $30k in tips.

The son of the guitarist in one of my bands works as a server at Olive Garden...$100 - $150 in tips every night is normal, although on a slow night it will be under $100.

Regarding my own thoughts on income at really fancy places. Here is an Reddit AMA from a 100K+ waiter. Interesting reading...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/2mn8fs/i_am_a_career_waiter_who_clears_100kyear_working/

The places where I get torn on tip amount are those once a year extravagance type outings where we go all out and the bill works out to 500 dollars a couple. Generally it was an extensive tasting menu and some pricey wine.

The service is excellent and the tip works out to 100 dollars for what I would say is two+ hours of services where the waiter would handle only about 4 customers maybe six (that’s customers not tables).

Clearly we can afford it but that shouldn’t be the measure as we can ‘afford’ an overpriced plumber. It just seems the dollars per hour of time are so excessive in this case.

What does one do here? Sometimes in the once a year we do a place like this I will lower it to 17-18 percent as the wine is a big part of the bill.

Thoughts?

Yes for breakfast, we don't tip a percentage. We tip based on how often they came to the table to serve our needs.

This could be the start of all sorts of TIP GAMES.
Pick a color before going to the restaurant, if the waiter is wearing that color add/subtract $2.00

Decide on sex of server, again before going, and if matches, then add/subtract some amount.

Studies have shown that variable rewarding generates more behavioral responses desired, so your service levels could dramatically improve.

We/I mostly patronize 4 or 5 places. I tip well, I am friendly and respectful, and we always get very good service and the waiters and waitresses tend to remember our habits and choices. It enhances our experiences, and if the experience resembled Hayes Bickford or something, I and a lot of other people world rarely go there and they would soon be out of business Although I must say that "The Bick" lasted a way longer than it should have!

Service costs more (Duh!), but it sure enhances experiences.

Ha

Last edited:
haha, sounds like what you are doing works well for you: so keep it up.

While I don't tip particularly well, and my own definition of good service doesn't include servers remembering my preferences, there's one thing we both agree on: the importance of being friendly and respectful. In my book, any obnoxiously demanding customer is a jerk, plain and simple. :(

...my own definition of good service doesn't include servers remembering my preferences...

OK, let's look at definitions. My definition of good service is to anticipate my needs and not make me wait for anything. Doing so without constantly interrupting me is excellent service.

Filling up the water glass, having any condiments, utensils, napkins or whatever else I might need there BEFORE I have to ask for them is good service.

Asking me if everything is OK is borderline annoying. Asking constantly is just a misguided attempt to appear friendly and willing to serve, when they're really just doing it so they can disappear for a while.

I understand that's the way things are done at most places. But really great service is when they KNOW that everything is OK, and bring what you need without interrupting. The best servers will actually fill your water glass when you're not looking, and you'll never even see them. This is very rare.

Edit: That said, I'm OK with informal places (e.g.; diners) where the wait staff are friendly and chatty, too. A lot depends on the atmosphere of the place.

Last edited:
OK, let's look at definitions. My definition of good service is to anticipate my needs and not make me wait for anything. Doing so without constantly interrupting me is excellent service.

Filling up the water glass, having any condiments, utensils, napkins or whatever else I might need there BEFORE I have to ask for them is good service.

Asking me if everything is OK is borderline annoying. Asking constantly is just a misguided attempt to appear friendly and willing to serve, when they're really just doing it so they can disappear for a while.

I understand that's the way things are done at most places. But really great service is when they KNOW that everything is OK, and bring what you need without interrupting. The best servers will actually fill your water glass when you're not looking, and you'll never even see them. This is very rare.

Edit: That said, I'm OK with informal places (e.g.; diners) where the wait staff are friendly and chatty, too. A lot depends on the atmosphere of the place.

I do hope this expected level doesn't apply to the poor server bringing out the $4.99 breakfast special at Denny's :cool:

That's cool. :cool:

My own expectations are lower; which I suppose is one reason (not the only one) why I tip less than many people.

I agree about intrusive 'service' being unwelcome. I don't want to know the server's name, have them squat down next to the table, or place their hand on my shoulder (all of which are rather obvious efforts to manipulate the diner into awarding a larger tip).

Hey you kids, get off my lawn! :D

Last edited:
^ Maybe then if you really got excellent service, you could ask for their phone number. No, not for that reason, lol!... if you got their phone number, you'd be able to tip them directly through Square, Stripe, PayPal, PopMoney, etc.

^ Maybe then if you really got excellent service, you could ask for their phone number. No, not for that reason, lol!... if you got their phone number, you'd be able to tip them directly through Square, Stripe, PayPal, PopMoney, etc.

So once at a small work group lunch of 6 of us (all males), the waitress comes to take our orders. Frankly she was good looking !!

Everyone ordered, and then it was my turn.

So I gave her my order, and then my phone number, she writes it down and says to me "got it", then walks off.

Needless to say I the other 5 guys look at me, astounded at my skill.... :dance:

Truth was it was a TGIF Fridays, and they use the phone # for your reward program, which is why the waitress took my number so naturally. ;)

Interesting. I've never used full service. I think i actually did once by accident.

On the rare occasion when I stop for gas in NJ, I always get yelled at for pumping my own gas. It never even enters my mind that it's against the law.

We went out to eat tonight for the first time in a few weeks. I always tip 20% unless the service is really lousy. But when I got the bill this time I noticed that the list of suggested tip amounts didn't include 15% anymore. It was 18, 20, and 25%. I found that pushy and annoying, almost enough to make me tip 15% just out of spite. But the service was OK, so I went with my normal.

15% is old school, not on the list anymore.

18% is for "frugals"

That’s a little misleading without a little more detail (below). There are very few states that don’t have higher guaranteed minimum wages for tipped restaurant employees.

While some servers don’t make a lot, some can do very well - both under the current system. And if you’re a talented server you’ll find your way to better wages or another career.

I was a waiter in college and did very well.

I agree. And if someone is waiting tables and not making well over minimum wage, they should find a new minimum wage job, IMHO.

Also a former waiter, many moons ago.

Did you work at a diner that served cheap food with tons of free coffee refills? I know that's not exactly easy living.

Nope, this was in the main restaurant of an upscale hotel chain (Westin). Was the 80's. I don't remember what my hourly rate ended up being, I just know it was probably the hardest work I ever did.

But my main point was that we here on this forum can afford to tip properly, and it irks me to quibble over things like tipping on tax when the recipient is almost always making less than $30k per year. (In Florida, that means a difference of what 70cents on a $50 dinner?)

I pretty much always do a quick 20%, since the math is easy, and round it up to the next buck or two, because I like whole numbers. Or on a very small check just go with $5, or $10 or something. There has to have been a real issue with service for me to consider less than 20%.

Sounds like you did not have a great experience. But tipping is not based on wage levels. It is based on tradition and personal service.

Think of all of the minimum wage jobs. Few are tipped.

Lots of people work hard and rely on their wages to pay bills. Wait staff are not unique in that regard.

When I worked in the dish room, or as a cook, I made a higher hourly wage, but I wanted to wait tables. Much more opportunity.

When I waited tables I worked hard and earned good pay. My son had the same experience. And the most productive, busiest waitpeople earned the most. That seems to still hold.

And those that earned the least usually did not like the job, serving folks or hustling. They were either ok with that (enjoyed working less hard) or they moved along.

Just my 20%...[emoji6]

We/I mostly patronize 4 or 5 places. I tip well, I am friendly and respectful, and we always get very good service and the waiters and waitresses tend to remember our habits and choices.
Ha, a cartoon for you!

7120_011217_colour_web_SD.jpg

Regards, Milton :flowers:

I've sort of revived this thread with a different sort of question.

During our kitchen renovation we've had a number of deliveries; appliances, flooring, toilets, movers etc etc.

If there's more to the delivery than just dropping something off, I make it a point to tip the driver and his helper; usually $20 each.

Here's the thing:
On each time, I hand the cash to both the 'boss' and his 'helper'. When I do that, I see the helper immediately hand his $20 to the boss. Any idea why the helper can't keep his tip?

I've sort of revived this thread with a different sort of question.

During our kitchen renovation we've had a number of deliveries; appliances, flooring, toilets, movers etc etc.

If there's more to the delivery than just dropping something off, I make it a point to tip the driver and his helper; usually $20 each.

Here's the thing:
On each time, I hand the cash to both the 'boss' and his 'helper'. When I do that, I see the helper immediately hand his $20 to the boss. Any idea why the helper can't keep his tip?

Weird, I can only guess.
Do you actually say "Here is a Tip" ? I sort of doubt it, as not normal.

Boss has told the day helper (might be just hired for the day) that customer might pay part of the bill with cash, so hand it over to Boss.

Day helper is illegal, and Boss has said, will hire him, but all tips are Boss tips or he will fire him or report him to INS.

Only solution would be to tip helper on the sly.. hidden from Boss which is going to be hard to do.

Food for thought...
My pet peeve is Starbucks.

If I buy a cup of coffee at McDonald's, no one there has their hand out. But, if I buy an overpriced cup of coffee at Starbucks, I'm supposed to tip?

A server at a restaurant is taking your order, bringing you your meal, checking on you during the meal, bringing you your bill, processing your payment, etc. The guy or gal at Sbux is making you a cup of coffee and handing it to you. Sorry, not the same thing and I refuse to tip at Starbucks.

(My son works part-time at Starbucks to earn extra spending money. He disagrees with me and says tipping at Starbucks discreet and voluntary. I agree that it's voluntary, but hardly discreet. They have the tip jar prominently displayed on the counter at the cash register. And if you pay using their app, you get a helpful prompt asking if you'd like to add a tip. In my mind, this is not-too-subtle pressure to tip. In fact, I went to a Starbucks earlier this week and there was a $5 bill very prominently displayed in their tip jar. I may be a cynic, but I don't think its placement was random.)

Weird, I can only guess.
Do you actually say "Here is a Tip" ? I sort of doubt it, as not normal.

Boss has told the day helper (might be just hired for the day) that customer might pay part of the bill with cash, so hand it over to Boss.

No, I say something like "Here's just a little extra...thanks for your help" as I hand them each the cash. I've even had situations where I've grabbed two guys working next door and said "I'll give you $20 each if you can move this couch for me". They come over, I hand them the cash and the helper immediately hands it to the bossman.

My pet peeve is Starbucks.

If I buy a cup of coffee at McDonald's, no one there has their hand out. But, if I buy an overpriced cup of coffee at Starbucks, I'm supposed to tip?

Similar to my recent peeve, Panera. When you place your order now, you get a question on the credit card reader basically asking for a tip. At this point I've placed an order. I have no idea if I'll get right order, which is basically all they can do right or wrong. I tip for service, so asking for the tip before performing the service shows a lot of gall. I sometimes will drop a buck into the jar on the way out, but hell, even when getting work done at my house I don't pay in full until everything is finished. Just raise the price if the workers need more money.

Back
Top Bottom