Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We dine out a place that asks that the tips be left in cash when the bill is put on a CC. We never do it. If they have a problem, it is not with us.
Agreed. Mentioning how they want to be tipped is just tacky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
In the places we frequent 30% is the norm and higher around the Holidays.
Is that just a guess, or do you really know what percentage other customers at those places are tipping? If so, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
This thread reminded me of a former boss who also believed that waiting staff doesn't deserve a 20% tip if the bill is large. On business trips he would leave a $50 tip on a $500 bill. Even though our company's tip allowance was 18%. Talk about cheap.......
That's certainly one perspective. Another would be that your boss didn't believe in living large on the company dime. Talk about looking out for shareholders' interests.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 04:48 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Another would be that your boss didn't believe in living large on the company dime. Talk about looking out for shareholders' interests.
Off thread, but: We had a guy like that. This is when it's bad to do good. He'd stay at Motel 6 while the rest of us were at the Four Seasons.

He eventually was taken aside and told that it was an "image" thing and it looked bad for the company to stay in cheap hotels.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:53 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Is that just a guess, or do you really know what percentage other customers at those places are tipping? If so, how?

That's certainly one perspective. Another would be that your boss didn't believe in living large on the company dime. Talk about looking out for shareholders' interests.

I don't know what others tip and I don't care but I was talking about us.

As for him caring about the company dime, he usually ordered the most expensive item on the menu and had the most drinks, then stiffed the wait staff.....
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #164
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Are these reported incomes or actual incomes?
Most of the restaurants are chains, and they track and account for all the money carefully. The BLS data on income includes gratuities.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #165
Full time employment: Posting here.

With the holidays approaching I can’t wait for the imformative news segment telling me all the people I need to tip and how much. Their subject matter experts are the people in the industries receiving the tips! Talk about a racket!

While tipping everywhere is out of control for servilce workers making tipping wage I do believe the 20 percent for good service is the standard and should be folllowed unless an adjustment is in order. If you plan to tip less than 15 percent because of poor service you should have complained at the restaurant and given then a chance to correct.

The only people I know who tip 30 percent are regulars who are playing a “comp” game with the bartenders and wait staff in the exchange for freebies etc.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have to wonder if tipping encourages the staff to bend/break the rules of the business. like giving freebies (food/drink) to customers at the expense of the restaurant.

After all the customers are paying the majority of the waiter's salary, probably 80% or more, so in effect they are working for us, the customer, and not the employer.

Occasionally we have gotten extra generous things, like a full size meal , when I ordered a lunch size. And I heard a waitress behind us, tell a couple their coupon for $5 off was fake, but she would take it anyway.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have to wonder if tipping encourages the staff to bend/break the rules of the business. like giving freebies (food/drink) to customers at the expense of the restaurant.
Give a generous tip to a bartender and the chances are good that you will be rewarded with stiff drinks and the occasional freebie.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
No, and that's a strawman argument. The wage laws are different for servers (I don't know about salon staff), and tips are intended to make up the relatively huge difference between what they are paid and the minimum (at least) wage that the rest of the employees you listed receive. I don't agree with it, and would like to see it changed, but that's the way it is now. That's why no one expects to have to tip the other employees. That's not saying you can't, or even that I haven't for service over and above. But stick to apples and apples.
Tipping dates back to the 17th century. It is not based on wages. It is based on tradition and personal service.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
With the holidays approaching I can’t wait for the imformative news segment telling me all the people I need to tip and how much. Their subject matter experts are the people in the industries receiving the tips! Talk about a racket!.
+1!!

That said, now that I'm retired, I've learned the sound of the mail truck, and sometimes meet the carrier out by the mailbox. They also deliver on Sundays now, and frankly I've probably been over-using my Amazon Prime with 5% off deal.

I'm thinking the carrier definitely earned a tip, or call it a Christmas present, this year.

But what should I give? Or how much?

I do know you have to be careful as to which day to leave the gift/tip. Your regular carrier might not be there every day, and it can get nasty back at the Post Office if a substitute takes a bunch of the regular's tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

After all the customers are paying the majority of the waiter's salary, probably 80% or more, so in effect they are working for us, the customer, and not the employer.
For sure. The wait staff is almost always on your side, to the extent they can get away with it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Been to New Zealand where they don't tip. And it shows! Service stinks. If a meal or dish is brought out cold, for example, they don't care one way or another. Found a hair in your salad? Meh... Pick it out if it bothers you because they will, then bring you back the exact same salad. Like a refill on a beverage? Good luck with that.
No thank you, I'd rather have wait staff that is going to treat me as if I may be a big tipper.
100% correct. In an increasingly unresponsive world, why give up any influence over your experience?

Some local restaurants have gone to a 20% surcharge-but the check also lists "additional tip"!

Ha
Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
+1!!

That said, now that I'm retired, I've learned the sound of the mail truck, and sometimes meet the carrier out by the mailbox. They also deliver on Sundays now, and frankly I've probably been over-using my Amazon Prime with 5% off deal.

I'm thinking the carrier definitely earned a tip, or call it a Christmas present, this year.

But what should I give? Or how much?

I do know you have to be careful as to which day to leave the gift/tip. Your regular carrier might not be there every day, and it can get nasty back at the Post Office if a substitute takes a bunch of the regular's tips.
This one's easy. https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet.../cover_025.htm

Employee Tipping and Gift-Receiving Policy

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Exec*utive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Tipping dates back to the 17th century. It is not based on wages. It is based on tradition and personal service.
Wage polices were adjusted to take advantage of reflect the tradition.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote