Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Update
Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Update

The owner of the moving company came by this afternoon for walk through. I asked him about tipping and he said that $20/day for each worker is a good tip for good service.
prubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds reasonable to me, prubin.

I usually tip, and I give the entire tip to the moving team lead while they are bringing things from the truck into the destination home. I tell him in front of the other movers that this is for all of them and to split the tip fairly between them all. Perhaps I should have gone to each individually. For three movers and one lead mover doing an excellent job I tipped $100 last time, and I do not tip lavishly.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My load had to be switched into a local U-haul truck since the road was impassable for a large moving van. I ended up tipping the driver/owner and his helper $100, and the local helper $40. They all seemed happy with the $$. I was happy with the move.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Tipping movers
Old 06-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tipping movers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
At the moment I am trying to be more generous with my tips for those at the lower end of the food chain. You can see so many people suffering with layoffs and not enough money to go around, I have become more conscious that the $100 bucks we might spend going out for dinner probably means a lot more to some others in the world that we encounter on a daily basis.
I agree wholeheartedly. I am tipping more than usual when I go out due to the economy. I have always tipped the movers. On my most recent move about 6 years ago, I tipped each of the three movers $50.00 and gave one my old washer and dryer to boot as I had new ones on order. It was a move that was completed in a day and was only 20 miles from my old house. However, it was hot and they worked hard and I was ecstatic to be in my new digs. Friends offered to help but I didn't want anyone's 50 year old husband throwing his back out.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote