Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tipping Guidelines: Movers
Old 04-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tipping Guidelines: Movers

We will be moving cross country. The packing and loading at point of origin will require shuttling our stuff in a small truck to the cross country van, we live on a narrow street with poor access. The receiving end should be straight forward.

I assume the crews at both origin and destination expect to be tipped and I always tip for good service. My questions is how determined the about of the tip, i.e., fixed amount per person, % of moving charge or ...?

Thanks,
Paul
prubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ive never heard of tipping movers.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #3

I have tipped movers as well as bought them lunch. Always got good service on both ends.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #4

We always feed and tip our movers and packers. I think we gave the packers about $40 each for two days work. I think we gave the movers $50 each.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yup, good idea to tip. FWIW, we have been in the range of $20 each for a full house move, maybe $50 for the driver/owner. Seems to be a bag of Big Macs went a long way, too -- at the departure place especially. That was 7 years ago.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The two guys looked like they were let out of jail for the day. I paid the whole bill in cash as they politely requested and tipped 20% cash, handing it to each of them separately because I didn't trust one to split with the other. My move was only cross town, but, hey, they know where I live. I also gave them as much Snapple and water as they could drink.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The last time we had professional movers (15 years ago), we tipped the driver $50 and the other two guys $20 each. We put the cash in sealed envelopes and handed them to each guy. We also provided drinks.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We generally supplied pizza and drinks on the move-in/move-out day, and tipped the guys who moved the stuff 20-40 bucks each (depending on how long the day was). I don't think we tipped the packers or the van driver.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #9

I learned something new today. The next time I move. Tip the movers.

Ok why do you tip the movers?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post

Like it or not in our society, at least where I have lived, employees who are service providers depend on tipsmfor a portion of their. I tip wait staff in restaurants, the guy who cuts my hair etc. Tipping is to show appreciation for good service. My preference would be to have employers pay their employees directly and factor this into the price. BTW, I ignore tip jars at cash registers in retail stores.
prubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post

So the movers don't tip your stuff onto the street.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So the movers don't tip your stuff onto the street.
I never dealt with a moving company that would work like this. I supposed if I picked vinnie and larry off the street...perhaps.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Never used professional movers for any move. The trick used to be to round up a bunch of friends and have plenty of food and beverages on hand.
I agree with the majority of posters - liberally feed and water these hardworking folks. Tips just sweeten the deal and could bring an extra special treat for their families that night.
Some other tips: Try to stay out from underfoot. If you have something really fragile or highly personal and irreplacable, pack it yourself and keep it out of sight from the movers. A friend of mine lost all her childhood and wedding photos and HS yearbook in a move. The box just got lost in the hubbub.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Never used professional movers for any move. The trick used to be to round up a bunch of friends and have plenty of food and beverages on hand.
That's the way we always did it until the last move. By then everybody was in their 50's or better and had various sore knees, shoulders, etc. so we packed and moved everything that DW and I could carry and would fit in a pickup truck, and hired movers to move the heavy stuff.

BTW, we also learned that the beer is only served at the receiving end. Don't ask how we know that.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #15

This thread is perfect timing for me. I'm moving cross country; actually the movers packed up my stuff on Wednesday and it's on it's way to Florida. I had thought about tipping at delivery....just wasn't sure whether it was done or how much to tip.

There will be 2 guys that loaded and drove the van and a 2 man shuttle team at the other end (new house is on a dirt road that the big truck can't access). I was thinking of tipping the truck owner/driver $100 and letting him share with his co-driver.

Do you think I should plan on tipping the shuttle team at delivery too? I will offer cold water too.

BTW, the move is costing $6600 before tipping.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post

There will be 2 guys that loaded and drove the van and a 2 man shuttle team at the other end (new house is on a dirt road that the big truck can't access). I was thinking of tipping the truck owner/driver $100 and letting him share with his co-driver.

Do you think I should plan on tipping the shuttle team at delivery too? I will offer cold water too.

I think I would give the driver & co driver $25-$50 each and maybe a small tip for the shuttle guys .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #17

I always tip the movers. On our recent move I tipped $50 per person. I know the company charged DH's employer $7500 for the move, but the way I see it, the guys who actually did the work probably made not much more than minimum wage.

The reason why I tip so much is because what they are doing is hard work. If I'm expected to tip someone 15%+ for taking a food order and delivering it to my table - a service which probably involves not much more than 5 minutes of their time - why would I not give a tip to someone I am entrusting with my worldly goods and who is spending 7+ hours of their day on the task.

At the moment I am trying to be more generous with my tips for those at the lower end of the food chain. You can see so many people suffering with layoffs and not enough money to go around, I have become more conscious that the $100 bucks we might spend going out for dinner probably means a lot more to some others in the world that we encounter on a daily basis.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
That sounds like an excellent price unless you are just moving a very small amount of stuff. They packed it too?

Ha
Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Some other tips: Try to stay out from underfoot. If you have something really fragile or highly personal and irreplacable, pack it yourself and keep it out of sight from the movers. A friend of mine lost all her childhood and wedding photos and HS yearbook in a move. The box just got lost in the hubbub.
Hubbub is the word. But you do have to check around. When my company moved, I found something left behind on the street near the loading dock.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That sounds like an excellent price unless you are just moving a very small amount of stuff. They packed it too?

Ha
No, I packed it. It should be about 10,000 lbs of household stuff. Since I'm leaving my son and his friend renting my house, I'm only moving a freezer and roughly a two bedroom house to the new house. I do have a lot of gardening tools and equipment that are moving too, though. It came to 235 items shipped.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote