Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I a slow learner for sure, but I did sign up with a local teacher and lessons start this saturday. It is still a challenge to quickly perform a chord without some buzzing/muting. I also have a hard time repeating/memorizing a scale without going very slowly and checking the scale's diagram.
You have to develop calluses on you fingers and you will only do that by practicing regularly for a couple of weeks. Pick a favorite artist. Start with simple songs from that artist. It's easier to learn a song you are familiar with and that you want to play. When I started playing guitar in the early 70's, I listened to guitarists such as Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Peter Frampton, Steve Howe, Santana, and Joe Satriani. Learn to play rhythm guitar first with open chords and then bar chords throughout the fretboard. After you develop calluses, learn your scales. Learn the major scale and then blues, natural minor, pentatonic, and dorian mode scales.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I a slow learner for sure, but I did sign up with a local teacher and lessons start this saturday. It is still a challenge to quickly perform a chord without some buzzing/muting. I also have a hard time repeating/memorizing a scale without going very slowly and checking the scale's diagram.
That fantastic! Eventually I would like to take lessons.

I've learned that slowing down a lot really helps at getting the chords to sound good (most of the time) same with scales- I start super slow making sure to get them correct and also play them forward and backward, up, down. This has really helped me to remember different sets of scales and definitely builds the muscle memory in my hands! It 's amazing how much improvement you will see over time!
Keep strumming, picking, plucking and having fun!!
like2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:12 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, the "jump" from one chord to another is tough. Developing finger independence on both hands will come in time. There's usually a way to plant an anchor finger first, and that helps guide the others into place to get the next chord without "tripping."

Going slow without mistakes is the correct way. It sounds like you have success, and that is great to hear.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Song Structure
Old 11-06-2020, 06:40 PM   #104

Song Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I have found one of the simplest songs to play (and sing). I'm usually a three chords and a bridge kinda guy, but 2 chords and no bridge is even better. And the two chords only require 2 fingers and 1 finger. A little strumming practice and I'll be a campfire hero!

One other crucial thing that you will discover, if you didn't know it before, while practicing guitar and learning to play some tunes, and is song structure.

Song structure comes in all sizes. Many folk songs (see some Bob Dylan songs) are "simply" AAA structure: where a chord progression is repeated (no chorus, no bridge).

Many popular songs are: verse x2, chorus; bridge; verse, chorus, coda--or variations of this.

I find it fun to learn song structure as I continue to play guitar. And don't get me started on key changes, such as "Surfer Girl" by Brian Wilson:

(Beach Boys): Intro: D F#m Bm F#m G Em A; Verse: D Bm G A D D7 G Gm, D Bm G A D Bm G A; Verse 2: D Bm G A D D7 G Gm D Bm G A D G D D7; We could ride: G A D Bm, G A D D7,
G A D Bm E (key change)... A Bflat (Bf) D# Cm G# A# D# D#7 G# G#m, D# Cm G# A# & repeat….

Little surfer, little one, Made my heart come all undone
Do you love me, do you Surfer Girl, Surfer Girl, my little surfer girl
2. I have watched you on the shore, Standing by the ocean's roar
Do you love me, do you, Surfer Girl, Surfer Girl, Surfer Girl...
We could ride the surf together, While our love would grow, In my Woody I would take you everywhere I go
(Key change): So I say from me to you, I will make your dreams come true... Do you love me, do you, surfer...girl, Surfer Girl, my little surfer girl, Little One, ahhh, little one, ahh..
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #105
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2 View Post
That fantastic! Eventually I would like to take lessons.

I've learned that slowing down a lot really helps at getting the chords to sound good (most of the time) same with scales- I start super slow making sure to get them correct and also play them forward and backward, up, down. This has really helped me to remember different sets of scales and definitely builds the muscle memory in my hands! It 's amazing how much improvement you will see over time!
Keep strumming, picking, plucking and having fun!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Yes, the "jump" from one chord to another is tough. Developing finger independence on both hands will come in time. There's usually a way to plant an anchor finger first, and that helps guide the others into place to get the next chord without "tripping."

Going slow without mistakes is the correct way. It sounds like you have success, and that is great to hear.
The thing that is tough as a beginner is getting over the thinking, will I ever get better
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The thing that is tough as a beginner is getting over the thinking, will I ever get better
Sorry to break it to you...but you'll always think like that.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You will! Just continue to practice!
Old 11-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

If you keep at it you will definitely get better!
Old 11-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Ahem. Not me. Long ago I concluded, no, I won't be getting any better so stop thinking about it.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #110
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That is most certainly true some things, but not for everything. Haven't you ever tried something the first time and said to yourself, I'm really good at this?
Old 11-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is most certainly true some things, but not for everything. Haven't you ever tried something the first time and said to yourself, I'm really good at this?
Sex?
Old 11-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #112
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Sex?
Humm... did you verify with the other party?
Old 11-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey DFW I came across this site earlier today no sign up required and a ton of great information and exercises on scales!!

https://www.guitarscale.org
Old 11-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #114
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2 View Post
Hey DFW I came across this site earlier today no sign up required and a ton of great information and exercises on scales!!

https://www.guitarscale.org
Thanks! Very comprehensive scale info, although it would have been nice if it also showed which fingers to use.
Robert Fripp
Old 11-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #115

Robert Fripp

And here's a video by Robert Fripp (man! I was once such a King Crimson fan) about the importance of praticing the guitar:
Old 11-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #116
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
And here's a video by Robert Fripp (man! I was once such a King Crimson fan) about the importance of praticing the guitar:
Old 11-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks! Very comprehensive scale info, although it would have been nice if it also showed which fingers to use.
The Segovia Scales show that aspect.
https://douglasniedt.com/classicalguitarscales.html

The software Tux Guitar would also be useful. You could see scales in tablature, score and fretboard views.
How's It Coming? + Old Strings
Old 02-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #118

How's It Coming? + Old Strings

How's it going with the guitar learning?

I wanted to update this great guitar-teaching thread with something new I think I've learned. That is, old guitar strings ain't necessarily bad. It's a common suggestion that you replace your strings often. I dunno whether that's from session guitar players or ? But that's been the usual thinking.

I last replaced my acoustic guitar strings Oct. 2019. They still sound fine to my ears. That got me to thinking: why frequently replace the strings if they still sound fine? They don't replace piano strings. I recognize that fresh strings usually have a crisper/brighter sound. (I'll replace all 6 when one eventually breaks.)
Old 02-19-2021, 07:09 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If you keep at it you will definitely get better!
Because you will see, learn and understand "patterns." As is true with other aspects of life.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
How's it going with the guitar learning?

I wanted to update this great guitar-teaching thread with something new I think I've learned. That is, old guitar strings ain't necessarily bad. It's a common suggestion that you replace your strings often. I dunno whether that's from session guitar players or ? But that's been the usual thinking.

I last replaced my acoustic guitar strings Oct. 2019. They still sound fine to my ears. That got me to thinking: why frequently replace the strings if they still sound fine? They don't replace piano strings. I recognize that fresh strings usually have a crisper/brighter sound. (I'll replace all 6 when one eventually breaks.)
Guitar strings are subject to skin oils, dirt, dead skin, etc. Piano strings are not. If you never play the guitar, play it rarely or wash your hands regularly before playing, there really is no need to change the strings. They can also be cleaned with a mild wipe as well.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote