Tis the season. Worst Christmas song?

Feliz Navidad was the first song to come to mind. Jingle Bell Rock is another. We Wish You a Merry Christmas is a third.

Being born Jewish but now an atheist who has never had any real interest in Christmas, I abhor the entire holiday season.

No disrespect intended, but given your views/beliefs, why would you even respond to this thread?

Are you saying that it doesn't make sense to you that a person born Jewish and is now an atheist wouldn't have a "Worst Christmas Song? Or, are you saying that even if a Jewish guy turned atheist has a Worst Christmas song that maybe he shouldn't add to this thread? A better question might be, does the word atheist" adhere to the rule: " i before e, except after c..."

Last edited:
"Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul McCartney is my least favorite Christmas song. Feliz Navidad comes in second. Songs ought to have verses, not just a single refrain repeated a hundred times.

Working on a local Christmas Gig and I am going to play Fairytale of NY . See what the backwoods people think !

Last year I saw Bill Murray's Christmas special on Netflix. Early on, it became apparent that the musical selections were going to be somewhat offbeat and I remember the fleeting thought that it would be great if they covered "Fairytale in NY", then immediately thought "No, that's just too obscure". Imagine my surprise when they did it.
Most Christmas songs suck. Not that one.

Are you saying that it doesn't make sense to you that a person born Jewish and is now an atheist wouldn't have a "Worst Christmas Song? Or, are you saying that even if a Jewish guy turned atheist has a Worst Christmas song that maybe he shouldn't add to this thread? A better question might be, does the word atheist" adhere to the rule: " i before e, except after c..."

Thank you, Redduck. Like everyone else, I am surrounded by Christmas songs on the radio, TV, in stores, and have been ever year for more than 40 years I have been around to remember them. Some are not so bad, but most others are awful. Txtig, why can't I chime in on those I dislike more than others, the same way everyone else can?

Thank you, Redduck. Like everyone else, I am surrounded by Christmas songs on the radio, TV, in stores, and have been ever year for more than 40 years I have been around to remember them. Some are not so bad, but most others are awful. Txtig, why can't I chime in on those I dislike more than others, the same way everyone else can?

I never said you couldn't chime in. I just wondered why you wanted to. You said you "abhor" the holiday season. With those kind of negative feelings, I was surprised that you wanted to participate. Let's say someone was running a poll on their most favorite/least favorite rap song. While I can't say I abhor rap music, it's certainly nothing I want to listen to. In that case, I would skip over the rap music poll and not give it another thought. But, thanks for offering up your opinion. I hope you have a great holiday (Christmas) season.

I generally love Christmas songs, they fill me with cheer and make me happy.

Some I like better than others, but none make me want to turn off the radio or run from the store.

I never said you couldn't chime in. I just wondered why you wanted to. You said you "abhor" the holiday season. With those kind of negative feelings, I was surprised that you wanted to participate. Let's say someone was running a poll on their most favorite/least favorite rap song. While I can't say I abhor rap music, it's certainly nothing I want to listen to. In that case, I would skip over the rap music poll and not give it another thought. But, thanks for offering up your opinion. I hope you have a great holiday (Christmas) season.

Your analogy is off base. It is pretty easy to avoid rap music which I have no desire to listen to. But it is much more difficult to avoid Christmas songs because they surround us everywhere we go for about 30 days every year, from TV commercials to radio and as background music in stores. If the thread were "Favorite Christmas Songs" then I would pay no attention to it because I couldn't relate to it and would have nothing to add. But it is "Worst Christmas Song" and it is something I can relate to, so I chimed in.

Squabbling over complaining about bad Christmas songs? I think somebody needs a hug .. :)

or some fine Holiday Spirit :D

Last edited:
I like most of the songs mentioned. I love "Little Drummer Boy" although I don't care for the Bing Crosby/David Bowie version. The one I don't care for is "Silent Night" as I find it very boring rather than soothing.

And I've been an atheist for 45 years but I like Christmas music.

Last edited:
I don't find them as ubiquitous as some here mention... I listen to NPR in the car - so no music - just news/talk. I have tivo and fast forward through commercials. I do my main shopping at Costco and they don't pipe in music AFAIK... if they do - I can't hear it.

I have an old motown Christmas cd that I love... Diana Ross + Supremes, Four Tops, a young Michael Jackson and his bros... It's fun. But it only gets played once or twice a season.

My kids always learns some Christmas songs for the season... They have a recital in early December... so I have to hear some of the songs played less than perfectly for a month... That's a tad annoying... but so is any other song when they are first learning it. I did crack up when younger son was doing a mash up of Ave Maria and Hava Nagila.... it was funny the first time he did it... Then became SUPER annoying.

DH sometimes plays this song--Gimme Gimme Take Take--from a cassette tape someone gave DD back when Cabbage Patch dolls were marketed to death, sending the rest of us screaming (not the fun screaming) from the house.

Christmas songs are always much better if you make up your own lyrics. Here are some to get you started:

"It's the most wonderful time to drink beer . . ."

"I'll be numb for Christmas . . . I wish it were only in my dreams."

DH sometimes plays this song--Gimme Gimme Take Take--from a cassette tape someone gave DD back when Cabbage Patch dolls were marketed to death, sending the rest of us screaming (not the fun screaming) from the house.

One of my worst Christmas memories in the mid-1980's is when DW sent me out to find those ugly Cabbage Patch dolls she really wanted for our two young daughters. (fighting crowds, no dolls, the next store, etc):mad:

This year, my least favorite Christmas song is anything by the Carpenters. I don't know why, but Karen Carpenter's voice is annoying me. I've been streaming music and creating a playlist of those I like. So far it contains a lot of classic songs, sung by country singers.

This year, my least favorite Christmas song is anything by the Carpenters. I don't know why, but Karen Carpenter's voice is annoying me. I've been streaming music and creating a playlist of those I like. So far it contains a lot of classic songs, sung by country singers.

I agree, although in my case The Carpenters entire repertoire is annoying.

Robert Earl Keene - Merry Christmas from the Family. Hits too close to home. Or maybe it's the greatest Christmas song ever ! ( after a few beers)

As I was leaving the grocery store "Little Saint Nick" by the Beach Boys was on.

Yeah Baby!

Robert Earl Keene - Merry Christmas from the Family. Hits too close to home. Or maybe it's the greatest Christmas song ever ! ( after a few beers)

Certainly one of the most entertaining. We saw REK in person in September and that was one of the crowd favorites.

I find the majority of Christmas songs pretty annoying - especially when they start playing them in stores before Thanksgiving. Man - some people just don't know when to stop (or begin, to be more precise!)

Then, to make it even more annoying, at some point in the season, I find myself walking around singing these songs to myself and enjoying them. Aaaaarghhhh!

Yeah "run run reindeer"

It's still playing in my skull - :)

Here ya go;

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom