Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

To align, or not to align?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To align, or not to align?

Today is the day, putting new tires on DWs car for winter. But I am still on the fence re: alignment. The dealer told me alignment was way off on 3 of the 4 corners in Apr (report here http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1715233). The car does not pull right or left at any speed or under braking. There hasn't been any difference in maintaining tire air pressure. And I just got down on my hands and knees with a flashlight and there is no evidence of uneven tire wear AT ALL, even though we are not diligent about maintaining tire pressure (I check once or twice a year).

I don't mind paying $119 for alignment if we actually need it, but I have my doubts based on our 'symptoms' - and I hate to just let them fleece us.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-81389.html

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

have them check the alignment (hopefully free) after the new tires are put on
Old 10-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Alignment should be free with all new tires I would think. Now that I have run-flat tires, I use the internal dash guage all of the time due to paranoia. I've read it's easy to have a flat on run-flat tires and not know it. Great.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Alignment should be free with all new tires I would think.
+1 Ask your dealer. Surely it is free.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #5

I don't bother with realignment unless the car is pulling to one side or its tires wearing unevenly, neither of which have ever happened to my vehicle.

I have a friend who pays for realignment multiple times per year and every time he pays for the tires to be rotated. Since his bankruptcy he has cut back on that a bit.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

You could bring the car in to an independent place that doesn't choose for a diagnosis. That way if they say you need an alignment and you prefer to go with the dealer's service, you won't feel fleeced. Of course, then there is the time involved and if the shop said you need an alignment, who is to say the independent place wasn't trying to fleece you also.

I am biased as I don't like bringing my car in to the service shop at dealers unless I really have to.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I don't bother with realignment unless the car is pulling to one side or its tires wearing unevenly, neither of which have ever happened to my vehicle.
I haven't had an alignment of any car I've owned since about 1980. Unless there is pulling or early tire wear, I would not bother. I've had tires that wore slightly unevenly but it wasn't noticeable until late in the tire's life and as the cost of four wheel alignments is sometimes a significant percentage of the cost of a tire, I don't buy that you save money by having an alignment done. I live in snow country so tend to replace tires before they hit the legal end of life.

Now if you've got expensive tires, then YMMV. And I tend to due a fair amount of research in purchasing all season tires, aim for saving money while getting good tire life, decent ride, but good snow ratings. Try to aim for the best trade-off.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Alignment should be free with all new tires I would think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 Ask your dealer. Surely it is free.
Check is free, but alignment is not, $119.95 even with 4 new tires. I got prices for tires at two other places, alignment not included there either. I am planning on playing it by ear, they'll have to convince me...

If alignment is truly way off, I would think something is bent, worn or broken. I'd want that corrected before re-alignment.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #9

A word of caution - I think you would be surprised at how quickly poor alignment can ruin a set of tires. I guess I'd get a second opinion.

I've had cars come from the factory with poor alignment (discovered too late) but I have an independent shop that I use and once they set an alignment it seldom needs any later adjustment.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Have never had to adjust alignment on a car. Don't plan to start now, particularly with no indication (other than a dealer upsell) to do so...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #11

I had two wheel bearings replaced. Would that justify an alignment?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I had two wheel bearings replaced. Would that justify an alignment?
No. Wheel bearings alone do not require an alignment.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You can check the toe in with a string if you have a level place to park it. Example:
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have two high performance cars with 40 and 45 series tires that eat tires--no matter how they're aligned. I'm sick of paying $800-$1100 every 20,000 miles for tires, and have sworn off purchasing any more vehicles with low profile tires.

Today's alignment equipment will print out a copy of the alignment numbers, and they color code any wheel/tire that's out of factory specs. That shop should use the printed copy to show you what your vehicle needs. If it's out by much, get the wheel alignment. And have them check your ball joints, tie rod ends, struts and other wear parts while they're at it.

We can get alignments done for half what that dealer's quoting.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #15

If you can't see abnormal wear patterns on the old tires and got good life from them, skip it IMO.

Alignment on some vehicles is about like reading Tea Leaves .

EVERY vehicle has some mis alignment .
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the NO crowd. If you really want to know, go to an independent shop.

I had my 95 Jaguar aligned at a Ford dealer a few years ago, was around 60 bucks. And it needed it, 'cause tire wear showed it, and I asked them to do it.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have two high performance cars with 40 and 45 series tires that eat tires--no matter how they're aligned. I'm sick of paying $800-$1100 every 20,000 miles for tires, and have sworn off purchasing any more vehicles with low profile tires.

Today's alignment equipment will print out a copy of the alignment numbers, and they color code any wheel/tire that's out of factory specs. That shop should use the printed copy to show you what your vehicle needs. If it's out by much, get the wheel alignment. And have them check your ball joints, tie rod ends, struts and other wear parts while they're at it.

We can get alignments done for half what that dealer's quoting.
Low profile tires seem like a bit of a conspiracy to drive up tire sizes and wear. I have two BMW 5's (E39), no low profile tires. And yeah, I hate expensive tires.

I do align them. But if the alignment is $119 and I saw no issues i would definitely think about skipping it.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You can check the toe in with a string if you have a level place to park it. Example:
I've done this, but I think I've figured out a better way to do it. I now use a magnetic laser level by attaching a steel plate to a plywood board and resting it against the rear tire, adjusting it to ensure the laser is level in both directions. I then use a ruler to see the alignment of the front tires. The only problem is you need a shaded or darkened area to better see the laser line.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #19
gone traveling

If you never encounter any bad pot holes and have not seen any evidence of uneven wear, I wouldn't worry about it, but tires are expensive and uneven wear could go unnoticed until it is a problem, so if you have any doubt, get an alignment.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from the dealership, went with an open mind re: alignment, after all it is DW's car and I want it to be right. They put the new tires on and presented me with a new wheel alignment report. The readings are completely different this time than they were in Apr, with a different adjustment recommendation. I know it's possible, but unlikely as we haven't had pothole/curb hits.

What do they use a random number generator?

So I left without an alignment, the car still steers/rides nice. I'll observe for a while, but I doubt we'll do an alignment, and I will go to a tire shop instead of a car dealer. We expect to trade the car within 1-2 years, long before the tires wear out anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts all.