Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

To buy a desktop computer/Related Q's
Old 05-29-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To buy a desktop computer/Related Q's

It's that time again - to replace an aging desktop computer. Mine is a Dell Inspiron 3650, 6 or 7 years old, and has slowed down to the point that I've just purchased an external SSD, to offload my data before it's too late.

Last year I bought an Asus laptop, and while it's OK...there's something about a desktop computer, with big screen, good speakers, and power that suits me.

I'll happily entertain serious suggestions for a replacement under $2000.00.

In addition, here are some random questions I'd like to throw out there:
  • I really like the looks of the Mini MACs. Is it difficult for a lifelong PC user to switch to a MAC? I'd still have an Android phone and a PC laptop.
  • What are the downsides to an all-in-one desktop?
  • Are there advantages to buying locally (e.g. Best Buy) rather than ordering from Amazon?
  • Can my external SSD accept applications, as well as data?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2023, 02:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Frankly, I wouldn't consider a switch to a Mac unless I was going all the way with Apple. I too prefer a desktop when I'm at home. I like to have an SSD for my OS and programs and a regular old hard drive for all the data. Then an external or portable hard drive for backups. And maybe keep that in a different location. Cloud options are also a possibility. External hard drives are still considerably cheaper for data than ssd's but otherwise ssd's are fine too and and are probably more robust. That said I've found hard drives over the years to be pretty reliable.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:47 PM   #3
gone traveling

I have no regrets when I switched to a mac from many prior HP and Dell desktop PCs. The mac is pretty intuitive and a better user experience in my opinion.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:47 PM   #4

HP has some attractive all in one PCs.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:51 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had this Mac mini since 2012, and a different mini before that. I switched to Mac from PC back in about 2007 when Mac started using intel processors. I've been very satisfied with the Mac operating systems and reliability. The laptops I previously had needed hard drive replacements after just a few years.

So I'm not familiar with the current reliability of windows PCs, but the Mac was an extraordinary improvement when I switched back in 2007. I can't remember the last time I needed to restart the computer, if ever. The AirPort Extreme I still use is from about 2008.

There is a premium to pay for the Apple computer, but in my experience you get much better reliability. I think the mini is the best value to get the reliability and the freedom to choose you own peripherals, for much less money than an all in one iMAC.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I was also a lifelong PC user, from the early 80's to 2021, it was the only option a Megacorp so it only made sense at home. But once I retired, and based on stellar experiences with iPod, iPad and iPhone (and how seamlessly they work with each other), and frustration with how Windows evolved, I started looking at iMac desktops. I bought my M1 iMac 24" in Jul 2021 and DW bought a M1 Max MacBook Pro 16" in Oct 2021 - and we have been thrilled with both. Mac OS file structure is different than Windows, and it took a couple days to get everything transferred to my liking, but zero issues since. Apple support is head and shoulders above most other tech companies. We will never go back to Win PCs. we didn't know how much better computing could be...

She insisted we continue with MS Office, so we have a Microsoft Office 365 subscription, and that is an easy transition if you care - though Pages, Numbers & Presentation are just fine for free and all a non power user would likely need.

That said, part of the appeal of Apple products is how well they work with each other, so if you're set on Android and a PC laptop - I would not recommend buying a Mac desktop...

Sounds like a moot point, but I transferred all my data from an external HDD formatted for Windows no problem. Macs use a different native HDD format, but they can read from a Windows HDD files. I have a backup external SSD connected to my iMac.

Our last PCs were an XPS Desktop and a Latitude laptop, both were 5-7 years old when we happily recycled them.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:57 PM   #7

https://silentpc.com/fanless-pcs/

I have an older version of the computer listed for $1,510. There are smaller ones but they’re a bit more. I’ve been very happy with this computer and this company. It’s the third computer I’ve had them build and all were great. My current one is over 10 years old and still doing quite well. When Windows 11 came out I had a few questions. Sent an email and got my answers - from the same person who I worked with on the original build.

I like the computer because it is fanless and therefore absolutely quiet. Also, they use good parts and their computers last. I did get one with fans for DW and even that one is very quiet. It’s bigger and has more equipment in the box so I couldn’t go fanless.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:03 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That said, part of the appeal of Apple products is how well they work with each other, so if you're set on Android and a PC laptop - I would not recommend buying a Mac...
This is an excellent point to consider. I switched to iPhone a couple years after the switch to Mac. The interoperability with Apple products is the best. Initially, I ran a dual boot system to have windows available to work at home, and then ran a virtual machine for a while.

While you'll find lots of people that switch to Mac, much fewer switch to windows (in my observations).

It's probably worth the time to find someone to show you the Mac OS... or I'm sure there is a Youtube video that does a good job...
Old 05-29-2023, 03:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
While you'll find lots of people that switch to Mac, much fewer switch to windows (in my observations).

It's probably worth the time to find someone to show you the Mac OS... or I'm sure there is a Youtube video that does a good job...
Not a bad idea, but I would also go to an Apple Store (or Best Buy) and spend some time actually using and exploring any desktop or laptop you're considering buying. I played with Apple computers at least a half dozen times before I was comfortable buying. There is no way I'd buy without first hand experience. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Op - got to ask, your old PC is it running an SSD or regular HD inside ?
I ask as cloning a regular HD to an SSD will result in a much faster computer.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Here is my view

Regarding desktop downsides:

Room for too many SSD's inside.
Too large to steal.
Only paying for a new box , as old screen probably still good.
Can upgrade the screen to a larger one at any time.
Easy to upgrade memory.
New keyboard costs $12 when wear off the letters of the old one.

Advantage of laptop:
Can take it when traveling so it can be stolen in foreign countries.
Get to replace laptop when screen breaks.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:20 PM   #12

I've been thinking about video editing and have been looking at HP Envy desktops. Currently I am suffering from an old processor and video card. I have nice monitors so I am not seeing an advantage to an all in one.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 03:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I am pretty sure it is not solid state inside. I don't know anything about cloning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Op - got to ask, your old PC is it running an SSD or regular HD inside ?
I ask as cloning a regular HD to an SSD will result in a much faster computer.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:23 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Here is my view

Room for too many SSD's inside.
I feel a little dumb, but what is meant by this?
Old 05-29-2023, 03:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
My sarcasm meter went off on the comment you are referring too, but maybe I'm not understanding. I thought the desktop "downsides" were actually pluses, and the laptop "advantages" were actually minuses.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Got me thinking about this. My all-in-one desktop is a bit old, underpowered, and under memory for the astrophotography processing I have gotten into. I want to stick with an all-in-one because of the form factor. The envy sounds nice if a bit pricey. The default model has 32 G of Ram which is more than double my current PC. Is that sufficient? Is Windows 11 a hog?
Old 05-29-2023, 04:07 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn’t worry too much about your Android and PC. These things can be moved out if/when you are ready. Instead, try to focus on the desktop system you’re comfortable with, keeping in mind that transitioning to a Mac OS will be a bit of a learning curve (but not impossible).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:38 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
My sarcasm meter went off on the comment you are referring too, but maybe I'm not understanding. I thought the desktop "downsides" were actually pluses, and the laptop "advantages" were actually minuses.
YES - that is what the meant to convey, I was being sarcastic.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:40 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Get a laptop.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:41 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You are not dumb, I was being sarcastic.

What is true, is a desktop has lots of room inside.

I just gave a large desktop to a relative, and inside is 1 single SSD about the size of a cell phone. I could add 10 more easily to that computer.

The one in there is 512 Gigs, much more than will be needed.

Tags
apple, computers, desktop, new computer, ssd