Join Early Retirement Today

to sell or not to sell: Jarts
Old 12-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

to sell or not to sell: Jarts

My family is having an estate sale for my parents who recently moved to an assisted living home. They have an enormous amount of STUFF!! While sorting through it all we came upon 2 New, in the box, set of the infamous Jarts!!

OK, what the heck do we do with them?? I understand they are illegal to sell but on the other hand, aren't they a Cultural item from the 70's? I hate to just toss them into the trash but I understand that even giving them away could result in a lawsuit against me if they were used and injured somebody. (like that never happened )

I wonder if a museum would be interested. Or just make sure that they are destroyed??
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would take them to your local recycling center, where they can separate the metal and plastic components and process them. I do not recommend selling them, since they are banned.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've seen them for sale at antique dealers.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Sell them to someone in another country?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Why is it illegal?

Maybe not the ones you have, but sold on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Games-G...original+metal

OK... found the ban...

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/newsroom/news...-be-destroyed/
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I've seen them for sale at antique dealers.
If so, they are in violation of Federal Law.

Following Recent Injury CPSC Reissues Warning: Lawn Darts Are Banned and Should Be Destroyed | CPSC.gov

I remember my brother and I tossing them over the top of the house to see where they would land. And I mean, I was on one side, and him on the other. How I ever got to be 62 years old is a mystery. . . .
Old 12-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

Bite the bullet and dispose of them. (reminds me of the time my buddy and I got the idea to use a 7/32 hole in a block of wood to fire off 22 shells, dumb and dumber)
Old 12-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Bite the bullet and dispose of them. (reminds me of the time my buddy and I got the idea to use a 7/32 hole in a block of wood to fire off 22 shells, dumb and dumber)
I think you are right. It's against my grain to get rid of a perfectly good antique, but I think they are going into the trash bin (after I remove the dart part) where they really always belonged.

This toy has to be one of the dumbest idea's ever to come out of a toy company. It was a lawyers dream come true.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When I was a kid we had them and they were one of our favorite lawn games, but they are dangerous. They came out with a different version that seemed to be less dangerous that are still for sale.

Maranda Classic Lawn Darts Set | DICK'S Sporting Goods

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

While cleaning out the garden shed before moving earlier this year I found an original boxed set of Jarts on a back shelf. DW had them as a teenager. They were well used, too!

Got rid of them along with some rusty horseshoes and a really cheap old badminton set.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
I remember my brother and I tossing them over the top of the house to see where they would land. And I mean, I was on one side, and him on the other. How I ever got to be 62 years old is a mystery. . . .
Quote:
I've done similar, and dumber, things. Like dtbach I sometimes wonder why I'm still alive.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had a set at the lake cabin (which was a trailer house). Great fun. Except that time somebody threw one up in the air and it landed on the roof, bunching a hole in the roof.

I think we didn't get to use them for the next couple years.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Because both of you were poor throwers?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Interesting thread...Takes me down memory lane, and learned something too. I just thought they lost popularity, never knew they were banned. Went through several sets back in the day and not from using them properly. Whats wrong with me... Slightly annoyed they were banned. I did dumb stuff with ladders, cars, roofs, rocks, slingshots, bb guns, etc. etc. and they didn't get banned. Surviving stupidity is a right of passage. Maybe I took the Social Darwinism lesson a bit too seriously when in school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The CPSC thing says they "shouldn't" be given away, not that they can't. Why should you deprive someone of proving whether or not they should win a Darwin Awards. Chlorinating The Gene Pool.

Hold my beer and watch this.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Jarts? sheesh. Used to shoot arrows straight into the air and lose sight of them till that moment they flipped and headed down. Then picked the direction to run based on which way they turned. Blasting caps, dynamite fuse, primers, powder, homemade cannons that fired hydraulic lifters, battles with cheap primitive Mexican firecrackers with very random and brief fuses..so many stupid things were survived. Only a couple fires which got put out and some deafness for my brother. The odd small scars here and there. I'm with Mulligan - survivors grow up.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=harley;1667118]The CPSC thing says they "shouldn't" be given away, not that they can't.QUOTE]
+1
I think it is actually only illegal to specifically sell them as per the CPSC, you could do anything else short of that right?

I think the law is bad on this one, they are not dangerous in their design, just in their use......so why are we legislating protection for stupid?
How many of us played with them and didn't get hurt?
If only 3 kids died and 6100 people were injured from them are they really actually all that unsafe compared to many other things that a child has access to?
How many warning labels do we need on a ladder?
What about stupid use of a hair dryer in the shower?
Why are we protecting the stupid, aren't we just speeding up our decent into Idiocracy?!

Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:11 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

It makes you wonder how children ever survived the pioneer days of early America.
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We used to lay them on the sidewalk and bang them with hammers until my brother got clipped on the edge of the ear. Boys should be locked up until they are 30. Or would that hinder natural selection?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Boys should be locked up until they are 30.
My ex and I only had a girl. She never played with lawn darts, but despite that we were pretty sure that girls should be locked in a closet too, from about ages 11-21 (at which point they would emerge fully mature and sweet). Their raging hormones can make raising a teenaged girl pretty hair-raising IMO. But amazingly, now that she is 37 she is a really nice, responsible woman.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote