Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2020, 01:39 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I live in a condo with neighbors on all sides. Each condo is basically a sealed concrete box so I rarely hear my neighbors unless they drill through a wall.

But I live in a high density neighborhood and there is always some noise outside during daytime, on weekdays particularly (traffic, landscaping equipment, kids playing, etc...). If noise starts to grate on my nerves, I either play some music to drown out the noise, use a fan to create some white noise, or wear noise-canceling headphones.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 04:47 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another vote for a white noise machine. Used to live in an apartment where food smells came through, but no noise.
Blessed to have quiet neighbors currently in a SFH on a dead end street.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:52 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW snores, and I use soft foam earplugs.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:30 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I notice there seems to be an assignment of reason as to why the noise, and it's not helpful, more likely it's upsetting.

Here we live in a house, and 2 backyards over, a large family has gatherings about every week or two.
I can easily hear them talking, these days folks have to sit 6-10 ft apart so they have to talk loud.
They also play music and it's not my type of music, and turn on floodlights when it gets dark.
They don't break any laws, and are minding their own business, so why should I complain, even if it bugged me the first time.

I notice when inside my home, with the radio or tv on, I cannot hear them.

For about 5 years we had the neighbor son playing basketball every day. Those bouncing balls really do carry the sound across the street and through a house. The kid grew up and moved away.
Just wanted to highlight some of the other things I mentioned that may have some relevance to your reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
...[The carrying-on] started early - which I have no problem with - but it went on until around midnight - again, on a weeknight, not a weekend.
Quote:
I was upset last night. I asked my wife if I was being unreasonable. In her gentle, diplomatic way she told me I was.
Quote:
Anyway - just assume that I'm being a crotchety old man.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I can't tell from your first post, but have your already called management about the more troublesome noise. Or are you saying if it gets to that level you will call management?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I can't tell from your first post, but have your already called management about the more troublesome noise. Or are you saying if it gets to that level you will call management?
They've had a few parties in the past, say, six months - some real doozeys going until 2am, one or two only getting started at 2am. In those cases, I do call the building security and they're always successful in putting an end to it. I've been told, though, that building management and/or security really have very little power in cases of excessive noise. If the unit owner refuses to comply to their requests to keep the noise down, they'd have no recourse. I'd end up having to call the police, which I will not do. The police have more important things to worry about.

In cases as described in my OP - the cases where my wife thinks that calling the building's security would be unreasonable - I just sit and stew. I'll turn up the television (even if I don't want to watch TV), turn on the A/C (even if it's not all that hot outside), I'll stay up (even if I want to go to sleep), I'll put on my noise-cancelling earphones (even if I don't want to listen to anything or if I'd prefer talking to my wife). Sometimes, though, I can still hear them despite those things - albeit in muffled tones - except for the noise cancelling earphones. Those always work.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

OP--You do have a beautiful view!

I have a white noise machine that has several different options--white nose, fan,, thunderstorm, ocean, etc.
I also found some soft silicon ear plugs from softec. I use both at night as DH c pap bothers me. I am noise sensitive also, with occasional tinnitus.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #48

It looks like this thread has run its course. Thanks very much for all your suggestions and feedback.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I recommend these wax ear plugs. I have used for 20 years for travel and noise.

https://www.amazon.com/Flents-Stoppl.../dp/B0009VQ8GA
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I live in a condo with neighbors on all sides. Each condo is basically a sealed concrete box so I rarely hear my neighbors unless they drill through a wall.

But I live in a high density neighborhood and there is always some noise outside during daytime, on weekdays particularly (traffic, landscaping equipment, kids playing, etc...). If noise starts to grate on my nerves, I either play some music to drown out the noise, use a fan to create some white noise, or wear noise-canceling headphones.
When DW had surgery a few months ago, we rented a high rise apartment in downtown Atlanta. Thankfully, the concrete walls/floors made the neighbors non-existent but MAN...the noise outside was ridiculous. Although we were on the 32nd floor, you would have thought our bed was ON the street. And never mind the new building being put up next door....no...no....no!!! Needless to say, we were quite thrilled to blast out of there and have been thoroughly enjoying our quiet country living.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #51

Quote:
Any tips on how to deal? .
I can't believe a Corleone is asking us how to deal with unruly neighbors !

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #52

Mr. Corleone: Your view is fabulous. I would not give it up either. I have no suggestions to add to help you cope with the noise level, but I do have a thought.

I don't like change. I resent being forced to accept a new reality that I may not have chosen. Since you have lived there so long in relative quiet, I wonder if it is the "change" in environment that provokes you most, rather than just the noise.

I would be angry and resent the change you describe. This is NOT the way it has ever been, and since the familiar is inherently correct, this is just wrong. I do not want others not of my choosing living inside of my perceived space.

I hope that as time goes by the noise will abate, and your space will become familiar and comforting again.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
If I have my doors and windows shut, and can still hear someone - that person is "invading" my space, which is a real issue for me and makes me totally and completely nuts.
I completely agree. Take any steps necessary to stop the noise. Dealing with that long-term is no way to live.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:02 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It didn't occur to me until now to mention it but - I have tinnitus. I wonder if that's what's making me hyper-sensitive to noise that's not in my control. Maybe I should look into something that would mask the tinnitus noise and see if that makes things better.

Although, the lack of consideration of others is what really grates on my nerves. Especially since my wife and I were raised to be considerate people. <shrug>

Just thinking "out loud".
I'm the same way. A noise that is produced in an inconsiderate way is much more bothersome to me than a "legitimate" noise of similar volume.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I notice there seems to be an assignment of reason as to why the noise, and it's not helpful, more likely it's upsetting.

Here we live in a house, and 2 backyards over, a large family has gatherings about every week or two.
I can easily hear them talking, these days folks have to sit 6-10 ft apart so they have to talk loud.
They also play music and it's not my type of music, and turn on floodlights when it gets dark.
They don't break any laws, and are minding their own business, so why should I complain, even if it bugged me the first time.

I notice when inside my home, with the radio or tv on, I cannot hear them.

For about 5 years we had the neighbor son playing basketball every day. Those bouncing balls really do carry the sound across the street and through a house. The kid grew up and moved away.
Maybe it's just a local thing but here we have a noise ordinance that outlaws any amplified musical device outdooors. I would not tolerate someone doing that within earshot of my house. If I can hear it with my doors and windows closed then it's too loud and will be dealt with.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #56

Quote:

Although, the lack of consideration of others is what really grates on my nerves. Especially since my wife and I were raised to be considerate people. <shrug>
As Randy Jackson (of American Idol) would say.."ten thousand million, billion YESSES to that!"

Totally agree. Wife and I strive to be very considerate people. We'll even sit on our deck in the morning (one of the only quiet times as others are still asleep) and talk VERY, VERY quietly so as to not disturb anyone else.

Neighbors? Could apparently give a rat's patookie who they are disturbing. One guy (younger Dentist) 2 houses down put in a Gazeebo that we (graciously) allowed him to have, as it was disallowed by the HOA and we had to approve. Little did we know that he'd outfit said Gazeebo WITH AN **OUTDOOR** SOUND SYSTEM. So, I'm on our deck trying to BBQ..and the Gazeebo sound system is going..and it really tweaks me off, cuz it doesn't appear he CARES ONE BIT. (I'd like to remind him..hey, jerk..we graciously allowed you to build that Gazeebo..) My neighbor in-between us got so tweaked off by it and other general "I don't care one bit about your peace and quiet" from the Dentist that he sold his house and moved out). Ditto neighbor immediately adjacent to us on the other side..when the boys were growing up, they'd scream, yell, and generally act like they were set on fire cursing up a storm while playing basketball. TOTALLY not thinking of anyone else. But, hey - they're "kids" (albeit, almost adults). You'd THINK they "might" be a LITTLE considerate, but...nope.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #57

Quote:

Basketball is THE. WORST. Try having a hoop immediately adjacent and about 15 feet from the home office where you work(ed) and were on conference calls all day. Good times!

Even better when they play at 10 PM or later at night and you listen not only to the low frequency bouncing but adolescent screaming cursing that goes along with it - IN YOUR OWN BEDROOM. I wanted to rip that thing down with my bare hands more times than I can count..
Old 08-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
If noise starts to grate on my nerves, I either play some music to drown out the noise, use a fan to create some white noise, or wear noise-canceling headphones.
I think I bought every model of noise cancelling headphones ever made. At least they provide "some" relief.

I even went as far as to build a $30,000 ish sound-isolated Theater room to have a place to get away from all the damned noise (including the Basketball).

Good times, living in a sub.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #59

OP - get yourself some of these. Wife (little bitty girl that weighs all of 105 soaking wet) snores like crazy. I need them to even drown her out, let alone all the outside noise.

https://www.macksearplugs.com/produc...cone-earplugs/
Old 08-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Owned a condo in a FL high rise for 32 years, no noise problems, even with renters occupying some units....

Until a year or so ago, upstairs neighbors (elderly couple, seldom there) were never a problem, but their adult daughter (recently divorced, with a toddler) moved into their place. So what toy does she give her kid to play with on the tile floor above our heads? A golf ball. Worse than the Chinese water torture. So, I went up to politely ask her if she could possibly substitute a softer ball. She looked at me like I was from another planet. We aren't there all that often, and fortunately, she moved out soon thereafter.
NavAir is offline   Reply With Quote