Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Insurers actually have an uphill battle even when they want to fight coverage. The law in most states makes it harder for them than for any other person/entity trying to weasel out of contracts.

Just make sure you disclose everything asked for on the application, maintain the required underlying policies, pay your premiums, and give notice of accidents and you'll be fine. (as long as you avoid those things mentioned in your last paragraph!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep. Look up "bad faith claims handling". Penalties are pretty severe. It's a good phrase to throw around if you want to put the fear of God into a genuinely unreasonable insurer.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I don't understand what my coworker is babbling about. He read his policy and feels that everything on earth is an exception.

Meanwhile, when my friend was sued for $1M, he had nothing but good to say about his insurer. The court proceedings went on a long time, with proposed settlements not accepted, etc.

BTW, the plaintiff won. It was really good he had that insurance.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Thanks. I don't understand what my coworker is babbling about.
Maybe you should find someone else to ork your cows.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes. $2 million worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

We've got another agent quoting our coverage, which is up for renewal and he pointed out a really important factor in comparing Umbrella quotes.

Not all Umbrella coverage includes Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists coverage. What that means is that if you're injured by someone with no insurance (or statutory minimum, which is a joke), the UM/UIM coverage in your underlying (regular auto) policy will cover up to its limits, but if your injuries are more expensive than that, you can't collect under your Umbrella. On a $2 million policy, that extra UM/IUM coverage increases the annual premium from $243 to $414.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
We've got another agent quoting our coverage, which is up for renewal and he pointed out a really important factor in comparing Umbrella quotes.

Not all Umbrella coverage includes Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists coverage. What that means is that if you're injured by someone with no insurance (or statutory minimum, which is a joke), the UM/UIM coverage in your underlying (regular auto) policy will cover up to its limits, but if your injuries are more expensive than that, you can't collect under your Umbrella. On a $2 million policy, that extra UM/IUM coverage increases the annual premium from $243 to $414.
Yes, it can be quite a bit more. I think about the other passengers that might be in my vehicle.......
Old 05-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Geico 3m $511
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
umbrella insurance