Join Early Retirement Today

Tomatoes on the vine
Old 03-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tomatoes on the vine

Today I noticed many people buying tomatoes still attached to the vine. What is the point of that other than paying $2.49 a pound for vine?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I think they taste better.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have tried those and would rather wait for those DH will grow. I have bought on the vine, but would rather do without and wait.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We often buy the 'campari' tomatoes at Costco. If you are going to buy out-of-season, these are pretty good. No comparison to home-grown - but nothing is.

They come 'on the vine' - wouldn't make any difference to me one way or the other, but we buy them because they are a reasonably good value taste/$-wise. Can you suggest a better value for out-of-season tomatoes that are not sold 'on the vine'? If you can, I'll buy them and give them a try.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #5

During the winter, those tomatoes on the vine are often then only ones in the store that taste even marginally recognizable as tomatoes. Paying for the vine effectively increases how much the seller gets for their crop; a higher price supports the costs of delivering higher quality product; etc. However, it is a gamble. You're playing the odds. You can never really tell how much better or worse they are, because the vine itself has such aroma that you cannot actually smell the tomatoes (and smell is one of the best ways of telling the difference between a tomato that tastes like a tomato and a tomato that tastes like cardboard) unless you (ahem) let one break off from the vine and smell it separately.

I look at it this way... if I've checked all the other tomatoes and confirmed that they are all completely worthless, I'll take a chance on the "overpriced" tomatoes on the vine, if there is a specific reason why we absolutely must have tomatoes that week.

Generally, though, I try to avoid such situations over the winter. It just seems pointless to me to work that hard against nature's inclination to provide us great tomatoes only over the summer.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

For me, the vines prove that the tomatoes were actually grown as opposed to being injection molded like most winter tomatoes.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
Administrator

Tomato on the vine does make for good marketing.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

What's stopping you from removing the tomstoes from the vine before purchase?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The shrinkwrap around the package and the produce department police.

I used canned diced tomatoes in winter for cooked things and use grape romatoes in salads.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

I used canned diced tomatoes in winter for cooked things and use grape romatoes in salads.
Where I usually shop, the tomatoes are not pre-packaged...

I use canned tomatoes for cooking, but like "fresh" for some things, like salad or taco fixins'.

Really like home grown, but the temps here in hell DFW pretty much stifle any growth after mid-July. You can grow the **** out of jalapenos, though...

Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I usually buy whatever is cheapest as long as they look and feel decently ripe and fresh. The vine on tomatoes are prepackaged and sold at a fixed price, not per pound, so I grab them if they are the cheapest option. They seem to keep fresh a little longer with the vine still on, but I have never paid close enough attention to be sure. I don't really like tomatoes so I'm not a good judge of whether the vine on tomatoes are superior in taste.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
gone traveling

When I've got them in the garden we just "pick them off the vine". When we buy them in the store we often will buy them on the vine... Go figure....
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At the store where I purchase most of our produce, nothing stops you from removing the tomatoes from the vine and I usually do.

Ditto for removing the stems from portabello mushrooms.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Try Caputo's. I'm sure there is some variation from store to store, but in my neighborhood (very ethnically diverse) there is little shrink wrap or department police activity. But, like a street market, you have to be willing to elbow your way up to the piles of fruit and veggies and look, feel and smell carefully what you're buying because there is little effort made to sort bruised or otherwise damaged goods out of the pile.

Very competitive prices. Wide selection. Country of origin clearly labeled on everything.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tom might object...

Old 03-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tom might object...
Standing at 1.5 inches, weighing in at approx 0.1 ounce, the contender from East Nowhere, NY, in his ER forum debut, the one and only...

Mr Large Cherry Tomato

This guy would definitely object.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LgCherryTomatoMar2013.jpg (479.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Real tomatoes are only available from July to October, from the plants in the back yard.

How could the growers have destroyed the Tomato?

“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” ~Lewis Grizzard
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Try Caputo's. I'm sure there is some variation from store to store, but in my neighborhood (very ethnically diverse) there is little shrink wrap or department police activity. But, like a street market, you have to be willing to elbow your way up to the piles of fruit and veggies and look, feel and smell carefully what you're buying because there is little effort made to sort bruised or otherwise damaged goods out of the pile.

Very competitive prices. Wide selection. Country of origin clearly labeled on everything.
Darn--the closest Caputo's is 15 miles away.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Does the vine still have a lot of tiny hairs on it? If touched by finger, does the vine leave very strong and long lasting scent of fresh tomatoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Real tomatoes are only available from July to October, from the plants in the back yard.
Here's one from mine. IMO, even the green ones salvaged from blight attack, once turned red after being left on window sill for a week or even longer, can taste at least as good as those on the vine bought from store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tt.jpg (145.1 KB, 3 views)
ratto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #20

I love tomatoes that's why I pick them in my garden and only eat them from July to late September. I don't understand why anyone would buy tomatoes outside of that time frame because they are reddish pulp. I buy puree or diced for soup base or sauce but never whole tomatoes.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote