Tonight (2/25) New Season of "The Profit" Starts

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wrote it on the calendar months ago, almost slipped by me. Season 2 starts tonight at 9 PM Central. Looks like it is re-run 3 hrs. later at midnight Central Time.

On CNBC.

I don't watch many shows, but I do enjoy this one. I watched last night the one that the man was losing millions on his car dealership. All I kept thinking was how could a guy be smart enough to make millions in real estate and lose it all with his goofy business model. The common sense that earned him millions in real estate obviously was lost before he got into the car business.

All I kept thinking was how could a guy be smart enough to make millions in real estate and lose it all with his goofy business model. The common sense that earned him millions in real estate obviously was lost before he got into the car business.

Watching these shows, and I very much enjoy them, I often wonder how some of the people featured can be even remotely successful given their limited business acumen. And that is being very gracious.

That being said, I personally know many people whose success during the real estate bubble was purely a factor of them being in the right place / time (read: lucky) rather than being skillful or intelligent. Their belief to the contrary often ends with results as depicted in this episode of The Profit, minus the Lemonis bailout.

We've enjoyed The Profit since it was mentioned here last year.

Any others that people like with somewhat similar quality?

BTW, there is a show called The Pitch which has two ad firms try to get a companies advertising business. Kind of interesting to watch. I don't know when the this season starts but it's on the same channel as Mad Men (AMC I think).

After reading about The Profit on this thread, I watched this week's episode. It was great!

The guy who started the car dealership seemed to me like a complete moron without a clue.

Overall, the show sort of reminds me of HGTV shows where one can poke fun at the awful design ideas and so on. Only in this case, one can poke fun at the expensive waiting room which houses no cars and produces little to no income. How could a businessman be so dumb?

Even though I am not in business, never have been despite one miserable attempt, never will be, and know ZERO about it, when watching this show I can feel superior and poke fun at this poor guy. But still, deep inside I know that surely it isn't at all easy to establish a successful business, especially on the first try.

Last edited:
The guy appeared to be trying to share his love of cars with the public. He didn't know quite how to do it and mesh it with being a profitable businessman.

We bought a new Toyota from a Napa Toyota dealer and they had a nice room with a vintage car plus car paraphernalia and even a popcorn maker. However, that was limited and not quite like the museum in that TV show. It did make a good impression (and I'm not a car guy) but it was coupled with excellent service and met our price target.

After reading about The Profit on this thread, I watched this week's episode. It was great!

The guy who started the car dealership seemed to me like a complete moron without a clue.

Overall, the show sort of reminds me of HGTV shows where one can poke fun at the awful design ideas and so on. Only in this case, one can poke fun at the expensive waiting room which houses no cars and produces little to no income. How could a businessman be so dumb?

Even though I am not in business, never have been despite one miserable attempt, never will be, and know ZERO about it, when watching this show I can feel superior and poke fun at this poor guy. But still, deep inside I know that surely it isn't at all easy to establish a successful business, especially on the first try.

Well, if I had the 7 million dollars, he effectively blew in this business, I would have had a much more successful business adventure with that money... Overseeing a portfolio of rolling 5 year CDs....

Well, if I had the 7 million dollars, he effectively blew in this business, I would have had a much more successful business adventure with that money... Overseeing a portfolio of rolling 5 year CDs....

Well, you're right. Starting up a new business is tough to do. But still, the guy is a blithering idiot to just throw all that money away like that! :LOL: But then, he is probably portrayed that way just to make the show more appealing to the masses, like us.

While watching the show, we can sit back and feel superior and count our blessings. At least in my case, I kept thinking, "Thank heavens I am not married to that moron!" :ROFLMAO:

When the owner was thinking over whether to take his proposal, all I could think was you do not have a choice. He had everything, including his house, tied up in this business and was losing $150,000.00 per month. I would have been hugging this guy and saying where do I sign? I kept thinking that the car manager that quit, would come back. He was there for the hard part, but left when things were starting to turn around. Guess he had had enough.

My DH is a car guy, but he said that he likes to take his car into Toyota, get it repaired and go home. He said he can watch his own big screen TV at home.

That new logo that Marcus came up with looks quite simular to the AutoNationUSA logo as i recall. Is AutoNatioUSA still in business?

Mr Athans squandered $7M and then had to "borrow" $3.5M from Marcus. It's going to be a while until he sees a PROFIT.

Probably old news for some of you...

Reading the latest Good Sam mag I just realized that Marcus is the President and CEO of Camping World and associated with Good Sam Club. Another interesting connection since I'm a RVer with my family.

Sent from my HTC One using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom