Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2022, 06:45 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These are the types of ads I am talking about. They are scams to get your credit card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 486D7F7A-76EF-4093-8CCA-1A9EA8CD88F7.jpeg (1.38 MB, 38 views)
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2022, 07:02 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
These are the types of ads I am talking about. They are scams to get your credit card.
Wow!
I can see where they can get people to bite on that type of advertising. Looks very professional and would attract people to buying.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:13 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Wow!
I can see where they can get people to bite on that type of advertising. Looks very professional and would attract people to buying.
Read the text though. Big clue. It’s worded awkwardly. Bad English.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:22 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Lol! That is true if everyone would catch that. I do see your point and I know I will pay a lot more attention to detail if item is in question.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2022, 07:40 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

My very first thought upon hearing the story of the too-cheap snow blower was a memory from almost 50 years ago.

My BIL indicated he wanted an electric pencil sharpener for his desk at the family business. I don't recall the prices at the time (early 70s) but you can find them now for $20 to $75 depending on bells and whistles, I suppose.

DW and I decided we just HAD to get BIL the sharpener. So we got one of those little plastic sharpeners every kid gets to put in his pencil box on the way to school. We glued an old electric cord to the end of it and somehow found an electric pencil sharpener box (probably from my megacorp storage cabinet.) We weighted the box for believability and placed the box on BILs desk.

He took it pretty well, but I'm afraid street might not have been thrilled to open a big heavy box and only to find a snow shovel with a battery powered noisemaker attached going "Vrooooom!"

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:52 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My very first thought upon hearing the story of the too-cheap snow blower was a memory from almost 50 years ago.

My BIL indicated he wanted an electric pencil sharpener for his desk at the family business. I don't recall the prices at the time (early 70s) but you can find them now for $20 to $75 depending on bells and whistles, I suppose.

DW and I decided we just HAD to get BIL the sharpener. So we got one of those little plastic sharpeners every kid gets to put in his pencil box on the way to school. We glued an old electric cord to the end of it and somehow found an electric pencil sharpener box (probably from my megacorp storage cabinet.) We weighted the box for believability and placed the box on BILs desk.

He took it pretty well, but I'm afraid street might not have been thrilled to open a big heavy box and only to find a snow shovel with a battery powered noisemaker attached going "Vrooooom!"

LOL!! I like that one a lot!
That is what a person could imagine for that price though.

That was a creative gift for your BIL. Lol
Old 04-22-2022, 03:53 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Can you say “Knock-off”?
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought a TV a few weeks ago of Amazon that was a 'great' deal, and of course it was a scam. If it is too good to be true, it ain't. Amazon refunds your $, and goes after the scammer so just some frustration is all it cost.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:54 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post
Bought a TV a few weeks ago of Amazon that was a 'great' deal, and of course it was a scam. If it is too good to be true, it ain't. Amazon refunds your $, and goes after the scammer so just some frustration is all it cost.
What is the process with Amazon if that happens? Do you communicate through emails or phone with Amazon etc.?
Old 04-23-2022, 04:05 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I will join the 'it's a scam' chorus. I looked up the company address listed on the web site (8 The Green Ste A, Dover,Kent, DELAWARE 19901) and found that it's the address of more than one shell company (The Delaware Company House LLC and A Registered Agent Inc) that offer to provide your business with a Delaware address. "Federal authorities investigating a potential billion-dollar investment fraud are demanding to know the identities of people behind more than 200 Delaware limited liability companies." "Most of those were registered by a company, called, A Registered Agent Inc., which advertises that it is “On the Green, in Dover, Delaware." https://www.delawareonline.com/story...lcs/908586001/
dheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:23 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What is the process with Amazon if that happens? Do you communicate through emails or phone with Amazon etc.?
It is just a call to Amazon customer service. Amazon itself can be the seller, or it can be a 3rd party seller. In this case it was a 3rd party seller. The seller had set up a 'shop' on Amazon, and had a little over 1 million worth of transactions in about a 7 day period from what I could tell. The Amazon rep was very straight with me - she said that it appeared this was a scam seller, and completed the necessary steps for a refund. She said it would take two days for the refund to be approved, and another few days for it to hit the credit card. It happened exactly as she said. The Amazon rep said these scams happen from time to time on Amazon, and that the company goes after the scammers. This particular scammer was from India, so Amazon is probably just eating the $.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:33 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are dedicated scammer websites that looks and feel legit! I have hit them few time when searching for an item. I just stick to the saying: If it is too good to be true then it is.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:00 AM   #53

Quote:
[/B]

I agree with you totally! It has to be killing the honest businessman to their death. It is like sometimes I feel we live in a third world country.
One of the big advantages of the Internet is that it opens the world up to you. One of the big disadvantages of the Internet is that it opens you up to the world.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:06 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

gooddog >> thanks for that information.

Mr._Graybeard >> That is true! You not only have the bad apples in our country but all the bad apples from the world.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:19 AM   #55

Quote:
Here just one of them but there is another for a large discount price.
https://www.collpuu.com/heavy-duty-g...yABEgLwjPD_BwE

Did you read the "About Us"? This has to be a scam. They've just cut-and-pasted from real stores to create their web page.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt;2762872Did you read the "About Us"? This has to be a scam. They've just cut-and-pasted from real stores to create their web pag
e.

I didn't!
It is my nature to trust people and it maybe of where I'm from and the culture I grew up with.

I do need to be more aware of the bad out there I do know that.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:18 AM   #57

DW showed me an ad from Facebook that had a greenhouse that was scraped from the Walmart site, including the Walmart logo. The price was 1/10th of the Walmart price. I looked at the FAQ, found an awkward phrase, pasted it, quoted, into Google, and it came up with hundreds of sites with the same awkward phrase. Poking at a few of them, it was obvious they were not legit. I'm surprised Zuckercensorberg lets crap like this through.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
DW showed me an ad from Facebook that had a greenhouse that was scraped from the Walmart site, including the Walmart logo. The price was 1/10th of the Walmart price. I looked at the FAQ, found an awkward phrase, pasted it, quoted, into Google, and it came up with hundreds of sites with the same awkward phrase. Poking at a few of them, it was obvious they were not legit. I'm surprised Zuckercensorberg lets crap like this through.
I report them as spam.