Too Good to be True Priced Item

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just looking for some opinions on what you would do on purchasing an item online that the price of the item is over 80% less than the going price of that item online.

Why I'm asking for your knowledge and experience is I'm in the market for a new snow blower. When searching online markets for that item I can get a couple for around $80 verses other prices from $600 to $1200.

These are brand new blowers and is exactly the same kind of blower others are advertising for sale but at ~90% less in price.

Would you buy this item or would not because of it being a scam?

Some years ago, I needed a trash pump and order one online that was about a quarter the cost of any other one I could fine. It has been excellent purchase and have had not one issue with that pump. It was from some company that I have not heard of. I may have got lucky though from not getting CC info stolen etc..

What are your thoughts and concerns you would have in purchasing a too good to be true price/item? If you did buy this underpriced item would there, be anything you would do to assure this is not fraudulent purchase?

Last edited:
That’s just too much of a discount for me not to think it a scam. If it said used or refurbished then maybe I’d look further. Generally, I’d need to be able to physically see it and start it before I’d get involved with something that deeply discounted.

Also - if you are concerned about stolen CC number, use a payment processor ( Google pay, Amazon, Apple pay, Paypal) or generate a virtual credit number attached to your real card ( see if any of your CCs offer this feature online - know at least Citi, Cap One and Chase offer this)

It might be a stolen item. I’d shy away from it.

Where online do you find this low-priced snowblower. At that price, I would suspect a scam too unless it's a very reliable online retailer.

It might be a stolen item. I’d shy away from it.

I think it more likely there is no product and this is a credit card scam.

The other thing you might find is that shipping is astronomical (assuming there is an actual product).

If I saw that kind of pricing I would move on. If you just can't resist, offer to pay with PayPal including buyer protection and see what the seller says. Or, ask here for someone in the area who could inspect the goods for you.

Another check is to find the seller's location via a mapping program. Look at the pictures. Is it a real business or a house? That would be another clue as to the reality of the offer. Check the BBB.

But as I said, I wouldn't bother. The odds of it being a genuine bargain are so low that I wouldn't invest the time.

No that is not a legit site. I would not buy from a site like that, losing the money from the transaction is the least of your worries.

Low priced items are one thing, if they are on established sites. But low prices and dodgy stores you've never heard of? Nope.

OldShooter, I would have to agree but I still look for a bargain if I can. Lol

At that price I should buy a couple dozen and make a profit.

Aerides, true but what a deal!!!

Last edited:
When considering buying online from a site new to me, I google the name and add criticism or review into search bar. Then, glean information to determine validity of site.

If in doubt - I don’t.

I generally find a “good enough” deal from Amazon, eBay or other major sellers that have some level of protection (at least on the financial side - paying through them). I will not ever provide card # directly to an unknown site - I’ll use virtual, PayPal, etc - if it passed the validation/verification process in 1st paragraph.

There are also sites like slickdeals.net that discuss deals and peoples experiences with them - this needs some filtering as well as some users are a little aggressive and/or outside my ethical boundaries on some deal methodology

I'll bet its a scam.

A few years ago I was shopping for a radon detector online (online price was about $130). I found a site that was selling them for about $80.

So I bought one, using PayPal.

The product never showed up. And they never responded to my emails.

PayPal refunded my funds, no questions asked.

omni

I still look for a bargain if I can.

When I lived on the mainland, there was a local auction site which sold returns from Amazon for pennies on the dollar. Often, this was someone "renting" from Amazon -- buy a paint sprayer and then return as "defective" after spraying the house.

And often it was just a new item in box, sealed.

You could see if there's anything like that in your area. I've bought chain saws, power tools, farm implements, and similar.

I have experienced the opposite type of scam from 3 persons or, one act as 3 persons. I put a stereo on sale on Craigslist. 3 offers to buy with cashiers check for full asking price, plus $50 for inconvenience. Would send movers to pick up stereo.

I betcha those cashiers checks would bounce pretty high.

Trust no one.

Outstanding and Thanks Travelover!!

Travelover beat me to it. Any time something looks too good to be true, or an online site, I've never used or heard of, I always google the name. Usually too go to be true are scams.

https://www.scam-detector.com/validator/collpuu-com-review/

Is collpuu.com legit? Nope. It has the lowest trust rating on our chart. (snip)
The Scam Detector’s algorithm gives this business the following rank: 0.7/100

Less than 1 out of 100 rating? Nope. Don't do it.

Whenever in doubt, put the website name into a web search along with the word "scam". Also, if you want to take a chance, use Paypal or some other payment form that has very, very good protections.

There are scams like these all over the internet. Name brand items at blowout out prices. The all end up as schemes to get your credit card. Buyer beware.

Knowing what I do about small engines and machinery in general (and a lot of people on this site know much more than I do) there is no way a legitimate site can sell a snow blower retail for less than $70. I looked up reviews on the site and all are universal in saying it's a scam.

Here's the link to the search results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=Review:+https://www.collpuu.com/&ia=web

Knowing what I do about small engines and machinery in general (and a lot of people on this site know much more than I do) there is no way a legitimate site can sell a snow blower retail for less than $70. I looked up reviews on the site and all are universal in saying it's a scam.

Here's the link to the search results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=Review:+https://www.collpuu.com/&ia=web

Thanks.
Just a shame there has to be people out there taking advantage and stealing from people.

They are blowing smoke, not snow.

Back
Top Bottom