Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Took the plunge, bought a kilt
Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took the plunge, bought a kilt

I've wanted one of these for a while now. Found out that the store (in Seattle) had the model and colour I wanted in stock, in my size. So I asked a friend to buy it and bring it over to Europe when she comes next month. Here she is displaying it. (The waist is 40" and the length is 24.5". She's quite small. Either that, or she's got bigger since I last saw here, in which case I've acquired a poncho.)

Dare I wear it to the office?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kilt.jpg (67.7 KB, 9 views)
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely! In Charleston, one of my favorite things about dress-up occasions is the propensity for kilt wearing in male attendees. But you have to have the whole gig--the knife and the little man-purse thing--I'm sure you know the accessories already!

But very cool! I had a bagpiper from the Citadel play for our wedding and he was one of several kilt wearers in attendance!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Absolutely! In Charleston, one of my favorite things about dress-up occasions is the propensity for kilt wearing in male attendees. But you have to have the whole gig--the knife and the little man-purse thing--I'm sure you know the accessories already!
You mean a sporran... but this is not a Scottish kilt. My only vaguely celtic ancestry is a great-grandfather who was some kind of rabid anti-Catholic Orangeman in Northern Ireland. I have no family tartan or anything like that.

I'm really just going for the philosophy of the manufacturers, who are here - it's a pretty cool site considering that they're selling quite expensive items of clothing (I've already found two of George Carlin's 7 words on there).
Old 08-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quite a website!
Okay, revised to say that you have to have an angry menacing look on your face and some very visible tattoos to wear it to work. And maybe a hunting dog and (still) a large scary knife. If you've got that covered--then go to it!

I'm *very* Scots and more than a bit Irish (hence the drinking) but I don't think we have tartan or any of that.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #5

Now I know why they call you BigNick.

I wore a Kilt a few years back while visiting Scottland. Felt a little odd and boys thought it was a bit breezy.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Very nice, BigNick!

This obituary last week for Bill Millin, who apparently wore a kilt as he played the bagpipes at the Normandy landing on D-Day, gave me chills: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/wo...c=mv&ref=world

Quote:
After wading ashore in waist-high water that he said caused his kilt to float, Private Millin reached the beach, then marched up and down, unarmed, playing the tunes Lord Lovat had requested, including “Highland Laddie” and “Road to the Isles.”
Old 08-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Dare I wear it to the office?
Sure, but if the wind is blowin'...well, you get my drift (no pun intended).
Old 08-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
You mean a sporran... but this is not a Scottish kilt. My only vaguely celtic ancestry is a great-grandfather who was some kind of rabid anti-Catholic Orangeman in Northern Ireland. I have no family tartan or anything like that.

I'm really just going for the philosophy of the manufacturers, who are here - it's a pretty cool site considering that they're selling quite expensive items of clothing (I've already found two of George Carlin's 7 words on there).
I see these on the street from time to time, but mostly at gatherings like Folklife that bring out the elements.

Two guys wearing the tan ones put on the most amazing show of pain infliction and pain tolerance that I have ever seen, or could ever bear to watch. Once only.

Ha
Old 08-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #9

I have a friend who often wears one of those utilikilts. He really likes it, but personally I think he looks dorky in it.

My advice is to get the opinions of several people as to how you look in it. If most think you look fine, you're golden. But if you turn out to look like my friend, you might want to reconsider.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You gotta wear it - if anyone gives you any sh*t at work, tell them its part of a new diversity program.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
You gotta wear it - if anyone gives you any sh*t at work, tell them its part of a new diversity program.
Hunh... no one around here, and I mean no one, makes fun of any of the local Samoans wearing their lavalava...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hunh... no one around here, and I mean no one, makes fun of any of the local Samoans wearing their lavalava...
Well maybe would if they weren't all at least 6' 3 and 250 lb and look like they eat you for lunch if you pissed them off. Although the Somoans I know are some of the nice folks. (I am not saying that just because they maybe reading the forums. )
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #13

If you want to wear it and just fit in unobtrusively try wearing it at Burning Man. One fellow wore one last year and the only reason anyone remembered is he was a short Asian fellow who was also carrying a hockey stick, turns out he was actually a Canadian Mountie.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
If you want to wear it and just fit in unobtrusively try wearing it at Burning Man. One fellow wore one last year and the only reason anyone remembered is he was a short Asian fellow who was also carrying a hockey stick, turns out he was actually a Canadian Mountie.
I'm some way from Burning Man, but from what I've read, I get the impression that a kilt would be regarded as a highly conservative form of dress by their standards.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Dont forget the haggis and Skullsplitter ale from the Orkney Isles.After a few of those you wont care what you wear or what anyone thinks.
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #16

I took delivery this weekend. Went to a meet-up in a pub with some friends, including one lady who claimed "I love a man in a skirt, I must have a picture of this".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kilt.jpg (69.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I love it!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I don't usually like kilts, being of Scottish descent; I don't like bagpipes either. But this one looks terrific on you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #19

I don't know Nick, seems the ladies like you in a skirt. I sorta think you look like you should be pushing a shopping cart. (heh)
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I don't know Nick, seems the ladies like you in a skirt. I sorta think you look like you should be pushing a shopping cart. (heh)
Good looking guy, living in France, secure enough to wear a kilt....what's not to like?