Took Up Smoking for Labor Day

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Smoked some fish. Prepped 'em last night by getting a good pellicle on the surface. Used a dry brine of salt, brown sugar, garlic, and a few herbs from the garden. Smoked a couple of pounds each of Alaskan salmon and catfish (also took advantage of the lower smoking temp for some beef jerky as well).

I prefer apple wood for fish and chicken, so apple was deployed. Smoked at ~180 for about 4.5 hours. Pulled 'em at about 125 degrees. Kept the jerky on a little longer for a higher internal temp.

Been scarfing down the fish with some creme fresh and chives on a cracker. I'm gonna have to roll off the deck when its time to move. Also made some salmon rillettes that DS said he would kill for. :D He can be a fussy eater, so the compliment was nice to hear.

Anyhoo, that's the sum of my labor on Labor Day. I like to smoke. It forces me to slow down.

Here's hoping that your Labor Day is good. Maybe good and slow. :)

I'm thinking pork ribs smoked on the egg with grilled oysters appetizer!

Me too! We have DD/SO (x2 of them) coming over for dinner tonight, so I have been smoking a pork shoulder since 4 am with hickory and maple. Since I have the smoker all fired up, I will also do a light smoke on 3 Canadian peameal bacon pieces and cook up some homemade Argentine chorizo sausages.

Should be a good feed for all.

You all are making me hungry!
I have not been able to smoke anything but a few racks of ribs from Sam's. We used to buy a 300# hog from a friend every year, making our own bacon, hams, sausage, and ribs. I used hickory and apple wood prunings from my 2 trees in the back. He quit raisig hogs two years ago, and I haven't been able to find a replacement for him.

Just got back from the grocery with a 4 lb rack of St. Louis ribs and a bag of 2 dozen oysters. Had some oysters last night and they were so good I had to get more!

Smoked a 8.5# pork butt (shoulder) last Wednesday to take on our Labor Day camping trip with friends. Put the whole butt in a crock pot Friday morning, and that night it we pulled it and it tasted like it just came off the smoker. Fed about 15-20 people.

I use apple wood for everything (pork, chicken turkey, brisket). A really mild smoke flavor.

Shucked and sauced and grilled a dozen and we (the 2 of us) ate them. Rinse and repeat. Bag done!

Now it time to dry spice the ribs and start up the egg - :)

Smoked some fish. Prepped 'em last night by getting a good pellicle on the surface. Used a dry brine of salt, brown sugar, garlic, and a few herbs from the garden. Smoked a couple of pounds each of Alaskan salmon and catfish (also took advantage of the lower smoking temp for some beef jerky as well).

I prefer apple wood for fish and chicken, so apple was deployed. Smoked at ~180 for about 4.5 hours. Pulled 'em at about 125 degrees. Kept the jerky on a little longer for a higher internal temp.

Been scarfing down the fish with some creme fresh and chives on a cracker. I'm gonna have to roll off the deck when its time to move. Also made some salmon rillettes that DS said he would kill for. :D He can be a fussy eater, so the compliment was nice to hear.

Anyhoo, that's the sum of my labor on Labor Day. I like to smoke. It forces me to slow down.

Here's hoping that your Labor Day is good. Maybe good and slow. :)

I love to smoke fish too!

Although around here it's just to hot to smoke over the summer. I really look forward to smoking salmon again.

I also smoke salmon at 180 to around internal temp 125 as long as it's been professionally frozen, so I don't have to worry about those nasty nematodes. Otherwise I target a higher temp.

I'll post my brine sometime - it has rum in it! :)

P.S. I immediately figured out what kind of smoking you were talking about!

You all are making me hungry!
I have not been able to smoke anything but a few racks of ribs from Sam's. We used to buy a 300# hog from a friend every year, making our own bacon, hams, sausage, and ribs. I used hickory and apple wood prunings from my 2 trees in the back. He quit raisig hogs two years ago, and I haven't been able to find a replacement for him.

Oh, what a loss!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom