Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

oh...forgot to mention. Bought a 2 gal pump-up garden sprayer there. It did not seem like the usual bargain, but I got it anyway because my Chapman was giving me problems even though its less than 3 yrs old. When I looked over the new one, I decided to return it since it was really really cheap looking (made in Russia!). Instead I got my Chapman apart, found the problem and its working like new. I have since noticed that Home Depot has "RoundUp" brand sprayers for same price as the one at HF
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought I died and went to heaven when I found out that there was a Harbor Freight within a couple of miles of my house ! It is now known as "The Man's Store" !

Like most of you, I stick with the basic, low tech stuff; tape, nylon ratchet straps, bar clamps, tow chain, etc. I did cave in and buy a 90 degree drill for $19; bought the 2 year replacement warranty for an extra $10. I still haven't tried it out yet but I do have a project where I will need one.

I started my Craftsman collection when I was 14. I worked my way through 5 years of college at Sears (even got my DW at Sears ! ) so most paydays a part of my check was spent in department 9 (hardware). Last birthday my wife "dragged" me down to Sears and "forced" me to buy a nice tool chest and roll away. That was the best present I have gotten in a long time.

For all you Craftsman lovers, you would be surprised how inexpensive new sockets and wrenches are on eBay.
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Watching DH and mariner son, TheFed has DH pegged just right.

Not for tools that you expect to pass on to your kids, but great value for stuff with a 1-2 year life span.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Regarding Craftsman tools: I don't know how their hand tools compare to pro-quality stuff (Mac, Snap-on, etc) but I've never been able to break one despite some serious abuse (long cheater bar on a small ratchet in a tight spot, etc).

I also bought a lot of their 19.4V rechargeable tools. They are cheap if you buy them in sets, which I've been doing when they go on sale. Sometimes this results in re-buying a tool you already have, but the price is right. So, I've got a reciprocating saw, two drills, two circular (trim) saws, a jig saw, brad/stapler, and a worklight. Plus, I've got a lot of batteries and several chargers, so I can work nonstop. I've been surprised how handy a cordless reciprocating saw has turned out to be--it's even been useful in chopping up small trees/branches (up to 6" diameter) that have blown down. These tools haven't let me down yet. The only gripe is that the battery pack/drill is a bit heavy for extended overhead work.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:48 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

My best purchase from HF was the 8' x 4' fold-up flatbed trailer. It can carry over a thousand pounds and folds in half for storage (it occupies about 2' by 5' of floor space). I use mine all the the time for hauling supplies home from the hardware store, hauling branches to be chipped by the county, picking up the free mulch from the county, etc. In many ways, the trailer is more useful to me than a pickup truck would be.

Hi sam. I just disposed of my van so I need a flatbed. I'll check out HF. Does yours have the ability to add side walls?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Ditto on the trailer, I've used mine about 100 times. Mines a 4x6 fixed bed I got on clearance from home depot for $325. Solid deck, drop down ramp, and the fixtures to add sides. I often carry largish odd shaped stuff that has to lay on top over where any side walls would go, and some straps and a cargo net keep things on the deck, so I never added sides.

The bonus for a lightweight trailer is that i've been able to put stuff on it when its not attached to the car and drag it around the yard. I moved my big screen tv from the old house on it, then detached the trailer, hauled it and the tv up the side yard over the lawn to the front door, dropped the ramp onto the front entry way and pushed the tv in the door.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
Hi sam. I just disposed of my van so I need a flatbed. I'll check out HF. Does yours have the ability to add side walls?
Bum,
Yes. There are two pockets on each side side plus the front and back to receive 2x4 size stakes. You could make your own sides as high as you'd like. Harbor Freight also sells ready-made sides of wood ($90, 27" high , see Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices ) or metal ( $115, 16" high, see Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices).

Here's a link to the description of the trailer itself. Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices It doesn't show the piece of plywood you'll buy locally to serve as the bed.

Some creative folks are even using this Harbor Freight trailer as the chassis for their own mini-travel trailers. These are neat re-creations of the famous teardrop trailers of the 1930s. They weigh less than a thousand pounds, can be towed easily by mid-sized sedans or small pickup trucks, and cost less than $2000 in parts to build yourself. Now that's an RV any LBYMer could love! http://www.kuffelcreek.com/8'_cubby.htm
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #28

Thanks sam. I'm doing it. Might have to break down and pay the $50 shipping charge. Nearest store is in Saddle Brook, New Jersey. About 50 miles each way, plus sales tax... hmmmm Thanks CFB, I'll check HD and Sam's too.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Regarding Craftsman tools: I don't know how their hand tools compare to pro-quality stuff (Mac, Snap-on, etc) but I've never been able to break one despite some serious abuse (long cheater bar on a small ratchet in a tight spot, etc).
My FIL is a machinist... he swears by his Craftsman. My SIL is a Volvo mechanic... also won't touch anything but Crasftsman and has some very unkind words about Snap-on and their pricing.

OTOH, a good friend of mine, who does right manly stuff like installing and hardlining a massive compressor in his garage or buying an arc welder 'just in case', won't touch anything but Snap-on DeWalt.

In other words, I think you're fine with Craftsman... unless you 'need' Snap-on.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

HF is great place to get cheap safety items such as safety glasses. If you buy any striking tools from them, get the glasses at the same time. Years ago, Chinese steel was too brittle to make durable hammers. Flying fragments are dangerous.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:08 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
Thanks sam. I'm doing it. Might have to break down and pay the $50 shipping charge. Nearest store is in Saddle Brook, New Jersey. About 50 miles each way, plus sales tax... hmmmm Thanks CFB, I'll check HD and Sam's too.

If you had a trailer you could pick it up yourself and save the shipping.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:24 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
If you had a trailer you could pick it up yourself and save the shipping.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #33

thanks for the thread fellas, i jsut dropped a couple c-notes at harbor freight.....

as i drove by, i thought "Hmmm...that thread on the ER board reminded me a need some grease fittings"

well, those were $4, and my total was around $200. but hey, i have a lifetime supply of teflon tape!
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote