Tool Time! Do you do Harbor Freight?

Ditto on the trailer, I've used mine about 100 times. Mines a 4x6 fixed bed I got on clearance from home depot for $325. Solid deck, drop down ramp, and the fixtures to add sides. I often carry largish odd shaped stuff that has to lay on top over where any side walls would go, and some straps and a cargo net keep things on the deck, so I never added sides.

The bonus for a lightweight trailer is that i've been able to put stuff on it when its not attached to the car and drag it around the yard. I moved my big screen tv from the old house on it, then detached the trailer, hauled it and the tv up the side yard over the lawn to the front door, dropped the ramp onto the front entry way and pushed the tv in the door.

Hi sam. I just disposed of my van so I need a flatbed. I'll check out HF. Does yours have the ability to add side walls?

Bum,
Yes. There are two pockets on each side side plus the front and back to receive 2x4 size stakes. You could make your own sides as high as you'd like. Harbor Freight also sells ready-made sides of wood ($90, 27" high , see Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices ) or metal ( $115, 16" high, see Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices).

Here's a link to the description of the trailer itself. Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices It doesn't show the piece of plywood you'll buy locally to serve as the bed.

Some creative folks are even using this Harbor Freight trailer as the chassis for their own mini-travel trailers. These are neat re-creations of the famous teardrop trailers of the 1930s. They weigh less than a thousand pounds, can be towed easily by mid-sized sedans or small pickup trucks, and cost less than $2000 in parts to build yourself. Now that's an RV any LBYMer could love! http://www.kuffelcreek.com/8'_cubby.htm

Thanks sam. I'm doing it. Might have to break down and pay the $50 shipping charge. Nearest store is in Saddle Brook, New Jersey. About 50 miles each way, plus sales tax... hmmmm Thanks CFB, I'll check HD and Sam's too.

Regarding Craftsman tools: I don't know how their hand tools compare to pro-quality stuff (Mac, Snap-on, etc) but I've never been able to break one despite some serious abuse (long cheater bar on a small ratchet in a tight spot, etc).

My FIL is a machinist... he swears by his Craftsman. My SIL is a Volvo mechanic... also won't touch anything but Crasftsman and has some very unkind words about Snap-on and their pricing.

OTOH, a good friend of mine, who does right manly stuff like installing and hardlining a massive compressor in his garage or buying an arc welder 'just in case', won't touch anything but Snap-on DeWalt.

In other words, I think you're fine with Craftsman... unless you 'need' Snap-on.

HF is great place to get cheap safety items such as safety glasses. If you buy any striking tools from them, get the glasses at the same time. Years ago, Chinese steel was too brittle to make durable hammers. Flying fragments are dangerous.

Last edited:
Thanks sam. I'm doing it. Might have to break down and pay the $50 shipping charge. Nearest store is in Saddle Brook, New Jersey. About 50 miles each way, plus sales tax... hmmmm Thanks CFB, I'll check HD and Sam's too.

If you had a trailer you could pick it up yourself and save the shipping.:)

thanks for the thread fellas, i jsut dropped a couple c-notes at harbor freight.....

as i drove by, i thought "Hmmm...that thread on the ER board reminded me a need some grease fittings"

well, those were $4, and my total was around $200. but hey, i have a lifetime supply of teflon tape!

Back
Top Bottom