Top 15 vehicles owned for 15+ years

Our drove our Camry for seventeen years. Then our son drove it for two years.

We currently drive a 2006 Accord and a 2007 Camry Solara (summer car only). We have no plans to replace either.

If we had to replace the Accord it would be RAV4 or CRV. We would not bother shopping what was previously known as the Big Three domestic stores.

Last edited:
There are many cars on the list that will last 15 years. It all depends on how well you take care of them. An old VW Bug would be on the list because 40-53 hp was never enough power to hurt them. Same way with an old 3.0 Vulcan engine Taurus that'd last through 3 kids' teenage years.

I too worked in the car industry and have had over 100 cars. Now that I have to buy vehicles, I do have a diesel pickup truck @ 17 years old and 152K miles. It has more life left it than a brand new gas powered car. Our transportation car is a 2018 Camry Hybrid getting 49 mpg and it's never seen a shop.

I question whether some of the new cars on the list will ever see 15 years, especially since smaller turbocharged engines and CVT transmissions are getting to be the norm. We're seeing engine durability problems with gasoline blowing past the rings and getting into crankcases (i.e. 1.5 liter Hondas.) And you've never had your pocketbook drained until a CVT needs a new Kevlar belt (i.e. Nissan.) Right now, we're sold on hybrids for the long run.

Lots of Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus are made in the USA by Americans.
The problem isn't the nationality of the people that assemble them, the problem is the mindset of the people that approve the designs. Just barely good enough design parameters yield a bunch of samples outside the specifications.

Lots of Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus are made in the USA by Americans.
Yes, I should have said American designed and UAW made. It’s sad.

I have nothing against foreign made vehicles, and maybe my personal experience is exceptional. I've never owned a foreign-made vehicle except for a 15 year old Volkswagen that I briefly owned while in college some 40+ years ago. I do think that the perception of modern American-made vehicles is worse than it should be, and is rooted in the crap that Detroit churned out during the 70s and 80s.
I trust Consumer Reports, maybe there are other sources (not JD Power BS). But I agree the 70’s and 80’s coupled with the gas crisis seriously damaged the reputations of the former big three.

We have a 2008 Lexus (Toyota) with 210K miles on it and still runs really well-just routine maintenace.

Back in 2007 I bought a small amount of Toyota stock because I thought the cars were so good; bought it at about $130. Sold it about 8+ years ago. Looked at today's price and it is just $139 thirteen years later.

These were our first Honda and Toyota and at the rate we are driving will have them another 10-15 years. It’s unbelievable. Our Volvo was a money pit.

We are about to hit 15 years with the Odyssey. This fall it will be turned into the teen driver car and we will probably and a 2 or 3 year old Ford Edge to the fleet. I am seriously considering finding one with the V6 rather than the turbo 4.

The other vehicle is a 2011 F150 with 105 miles on it. I expect to get 200k or more out of the truck, which would get it over the 15 year mark. Thus far I have had to do nothing but routine maintenance on the truck. Amazing considering it gets run down dirt roads, Forest Service "roads," used to haul heavy loads, and tow a 3000+ pound trailer.

I'm still driving 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 10k miles that I bought in 2007 when DaimlerChrysler offered a lifetime powertrain warranty. Its worth so much more to me than its book value because of that warranty. I'll drive it as long as the frame will hold together. Also nice side benefit that Jeeps never go out of style. Should make it to 15 years if I can avoid major accident.

I hope your Jeep lasts for many years and you never have a need for the warranty, but if you do need to use it, DC will try every trick in the book to get out of paying for any lifetime power train warranty repairs. Scrutinizing maintenance to a ridiculous extent is their first line of defense.

I must have been driving behind one of you the other day. It was an older vehicle running super rich (as I passed, I could hear it pinging). It was an old guy driving and as I passed, while still holding my breath, so I was being a bit anxious to get around him, he honked and gave me the finger.

While I keep my vehicles for 8+ years, mostly Toyota, I try to make sure they don't stink if you get stuck behind them.

'99 CRV still chugging along. Full disclosure: Only 170K and it looks pretty bad as we've dinged it and done only minimal maintenance. Lex Brodie (local shops on Oahu) says it needs $3K+ in repairs. If I could sell it, it might fetch $1500, so will wait for a major repair and junk it.

2000 Buick (only 90K) needs twice the maintenance of the CRV, but what a land cruiser. 30 mpg on the road and so comfortable I've done 1000 mile trips at a stretch. Once again, I figure it's one main issue from the junk yard. Keeping fingers crossed for both of these antiques. YMMV

1999 F150
1999 Buick Century
2000 Honda Civic

All in the family since new. All have been pretty much issue free. I do a pretty good job keeping up with routine maintenance.

Last edited:
while working we tended to keep our vehicles..all “domestic” makes...from 12-15 years, buying new every 7-8 years. until we retired, they usually had well in excess of 100,000-miles on them.

we currently have an ‘03 Jeep Wrangler 2D (105,000); a 2010 Jeep Liberty (85,000 driven and ~40,000 flat towed behind our motor home). not looking to make a change anytime soon. pretty sure that whatever is next will likely be our last and we may be down to a 1-car household.

Whenever I see comments like this I have to smile, remembering that my dad, who lived to age 90, bought his "last car" three times.

:) could be, ya just never know. but given how infrequently we buy a car and the likelihood that my wife will stop driving soon i think the odds are pretty good that our next car will be our last. hope we last as long as your dad.

Whenever I see comments like this I have to smile, remembering that my dad, who lived to age 90, bought his "last car" three times.

That made me think a bit of my Granddad. He had the habit of trading every 3-4 years. While that does sound pretty wasteful, he could afford it. Anyway, the last car he bought was a 1994 Taurus, in late 1993, when he was 79. His driving really slowed down a lot around that time, so when the usual 3-4 year timeframe was up again, he decided to hold off.

But then, in early 2000, he started getting the new car itch again. In his mind, I guess, he was thinking that he really SHOULD have traded 3-4 years ago, and now, that cycle was coming around again. I took him out to look at the new Tauruses. I always thought the '96-99 style was too over-styled and weird, but thought the way they toned it down for 2000 was nice. Anyway, Granddad took one look at the 2000, and said he didn't like it. Refused to even sit in it. The salesman actually had to BEG him to sit in it. So he did, said "Okay, that's enough, now let's go."

And after that, he resigned to just hang onto the '94. I do remember, at one point, changing the battery for him. The old one was still holding a charge, but it was getting up there in age. He said that was the first time in his life, he ever remembered having a battery changed in a car...he'd usually trade them in before it came to that! In 2004, he decided he was going to give up driving when he turned 90, rather than renew his license. He offered to give me the Taurus, which only had about 40,000 miles on it. But, I didn't need it, so one of my cousins got it. He and his wife were kind of rough on it, so it was pretty shot by around 80,000 miles or so, and I think they got rid of it around 2012 or 13.

We keep the mtce up to date. Most especially the fluids. I actually read and follow the recommended service intervals that come with the vehicle.

Some people I know who have had trouble with vehicles are people who seldom check or replace the engine oil, transmission, brake, power steering fluids or the radiator fluid. Or bother with the tires. So, it is no wonder that the do not get the benefit of a projected useful life out of a vehicle-domestic or imported. Not to mention things like the timing belts.

We keep the mtce up to date. Most especially the fluids. I actually read and follow the recommended service intervals that come with the vehicle.

Some people I know who have had trouble with vehicles are people who seldom check or replace the engine oil, transmission, brake, power steering fluids or the radiator fluid. Or bother with the tires. So, it is no wonder that the do not get the benefit of a projected useful life out of a vehicle-domestic or imported. Not to mention things like the timing belts.

We have never gotten rid of a car because it wore out. All 3 we moved on from were because they did not fit our needs any more. We have all the maintenance done and are willing to do non-catastrophic repairs. I think modern cars are made well enough that as long as you do the maintenance and repairs they by and large keep chugging.

rather than use it as a trade-in my buddy and his wife gave their daughter a 3 or 4-yr old sedan when they bought new so she could reliably get back and forth from her apt. to work. less than a year later the engine seized on it. seems she never checked or had the oil checked or changed.

I recently heard the consumer show host Clark Howard tell a story about a guy who owned a chain of independent Toyota repair shops. He was not making much money. So, he switched to repairing German cars. He is now making a ton of money.

A buddy of mine owns an independent VW/Audi shop. He stays very, VERY busy. I asked why he didn't include Toyo/Honda/Etc. and he said that they wouldn't bring in nearly as much business as the VW does.

Having owned Ford, GM, Chrysler and Toyota products, I can say that my totally unscientific conclusions from my experience indicate Toyota is best for me.

This has been my experience as well. Before we had Toyotas it seemed like at least one of our cars ended up in the shop every month, had a road breakdown once a quarter, and every regular maintenance visit always turned up some additional issue.

Since getting Toyotas, none of that has occurred. The only major issue outside of regular maintenance was self-inflicted (DW scraping against a guard rail), which fortunately was just a "cosmetic" repair. Our annual car maintenance bill has dropped by close to 2/3.

I knew a guy like that - unfortunately he was senile and all three purchases were made within a year or so. Shame on the car dealership.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom