Join Early Retirement Today

tossing out liquor
Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

tossing out liquor

Around this time of year I like to "clean up the house." Today I started on the bar area in the den. We hardly ever use this area, so it was sort of like entering a strange new world. Mainly it contains old Yellow Page directories and liquor. I tossed out the directories and poured bottles and bottles of alcohol down the drain. I mean a lot of bottles. We don't drink much (although the wife is beginning to show more than a moderate interest in having a glass of wine with dinner). Some of the bottles might have been 10-15 years old. Here's what I have left: Lancer's Vin Rose; Mateus Rose; VSOP Medaillon; Louis Roederer Champagne (maybe about 3 years old) and Courvoiser (about 6 years old). All are unopened.

Are any of the above worth keeping? Are they safe to drink (regarding their age)?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Words fail me. I checked the date and it is not April 1st.

You tossed spirits that were only 10 years old, without evidence they had turned bad?

You have no neighbors who drink, or even cook with alcohol? Chances are they would have jumped at the chance to dispose of your aged spirits.

And yes, unless your den has been extremely hot, your remaining spirits should be just fine.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #3

Such a tragic waste

Here's a link with some more info

Does Liquor Ever Expire? Straight Up Cocktails and Spirits | The Kitchn
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post

Are any of the above worth keeping? Are they safe to drink (regarding their age)?
Kidding, right?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Kinda reminds me of Elaine Boosler's comedy bit: "How do you know when yogurt has spoiled? Does it start tasting BETTER?"

Seriously, white wines have a shelf life, but your taste buds will never fail you. Reds can last for 100 years or more, properly stored (trust your taste buds), and distilled spirits typically last forever (well, if you don't drink them, that is.) None of the stuff - even if it goes "bad" - is likely to harm you (again, trusting your taste buds) assuming you don't try to finish off too much at once.

Naturally, your mileage (and taste buds) may vary. Enjoy!!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #6

Gold and whisky , two things that last forever. Ask any survivalist
Old 11-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #7

Well, looking on the brighter side, no one seems to be condemning me for tossing out the Yellow Page directories.

(Is this a good time to admit that I really don't rebalance my portfolio)?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I offer old liquor disposal, free of charge, and in an environmentally friendly manner...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have liquor that I moved from house to house, some over 30 years old (Jack Daniels and a few liqueurs). They're still fine, most are gone now. Cheap wine might not age so well, but it wouldn't hurt to try it before throwing it out.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some of the bottles might have been 10-15 years old. Here's what I have left: Lancer's Vin Rose; Mateus Rose; VSOP Medaillon; Louis Roederer Champagne (maybe about 3 years old) and Courvoiser (about 6 years old). All are unopened.

I do not care about the other bottles, but the ones I highlighted above in red, as far as I am concerned, pouring them down the drain is a capital offense.

Enough said!

When I was younger, and I mean a lot younger, like during the high school graduation party, a classmate declared that "It's better to spill blood than to spill Cognac" as he carefully poured me a shot. As one could see, people were willing to go to extreme sacrifice to protect these bottles, and you want to throw them away. You left me speechless (but not post-less)!

PS. I posted this as I just came back from a Thanksgiving lunch at my brother. I had a few glasses of wine, but not yet a shot of Cognac, so please excuse my violent temperament. I could not help it.

PPS. My classmate friend did make the above proclamation when he ceremoniously poured me that shot. The exact quote was "It's better to spill blood than to spill booze". At that point in life, any booze was precious to us. However, it was true French Cognac that he was pouring me, hence I appreciated it even more. By "it", I mean both the shot and the profundity coming from a fellow 17-year old.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Well, looking on the brighter side, no one seems to be condemning me for tossing out the Yellow Page directories.

(Is this a good time to admit that I really don't rebalance my portfolio)?
Any investment commentary at this point would pale in comparison
Old 11-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #12

Louis Roederer Champagne from 3 years ago at it's prime. I have Brother Jack's Old No 7 bourbon in 1/5 of a gallon bottle from, around about 1986, when regulations changed. Fellow Tennessee Squire here.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I offer old liquor disposal, free of charge, and in an environmentally friendly manner...
I can help you set up a 501(c)(3) to help you promote this act of pure charity and concern for our environment.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Louis Roederer Champagne (maybe about 3 years old) and Courvoiser (about 6 years old). All are unopened.

Send these dangerous liquids to me and I will safely get rid of them at no cost to you (other than shipping.)

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Sure, as the forum teetotaler/designated driver, I think it's a splendid idea to toss them ALL out and not replace them.

Think of the money you'll save!

Plus, no risk of serving wine that has turned to vinegar. A nice glass of tap water is a delicious addition to any meal.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Drink the champagne for New Years if not before.

The Courvoisier is fine, lasts forever, it's the cognac of Napoleon, dontcha know! I always have some on hand in the pantry because I cook with it. It's used in desserts and sauces.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck
Around this time of year I like to "clean up the house." Today I started on the bar area in the den. We hardly ever use this area, so it was sort of like entering a strange new world. Mainly it contains old Yellow Page directories and liquor. I tossed out the directories and poured bottles and bottles of alcohol down the drain. I mean a lot of bottles....
I just tossed a 30+ year old bottle of Angostura bitters--bet we could have whipped up a batch of (appropriately enough ) Old Fashioneds with some of the hard liquor you likely tossed.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Around this time of year I like to "clean up the house."
Man, your net worth just took a huge hit. I guess the good news is that your drain is cleaner.

Only yesterday we cleaned our own house by taking a half-dozen bottles of unopened wine to a friend's Thanksgiving dinner at his house. (We also brought mashed potatoes.) He immediately opened the oldest bottle of red and about 10 minutes later opened the next-oldest bottle of red. He said that he'd be saving the whites for a later toilet cleaning taste testing.

I recommend that you dispose of the remaining bottles with your friends or sell them on Craigslist. The bottles, not your friends. Or whatever seems appropriate.

Quote:
I hope you recycle both the Yellow Pages and the empty glass bottles...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in tears! How can you do this? Some of the liquors get better with age. Never the less I can guarantee that 95% of them were still good. My dream is to find a huge stash of unopened vintage liquor and to put together a real impressive liquor collection that I can show all my friends.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I'm somewhat like redduck - never drink hard stuff and accumulated several bottles over the years. We never threw any out. Now I'm using up the Jack Daniels by soaking vanilla beans in it as a homebrew beer ingredient. Also using vodka to put in my beer fermenter airlocks. So I might run out of Jack and vodka in about 20 years.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote