Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2022, 10:31 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
The most physical labor intense job was working as an electrical lineman. Working live line of 14.4K voltages hot and climbing wood transmission pole of 70 to 100 foot with hooks and belt. It also was a stressful job working with high voltages and hanging off of poles at heights of >< 100 feet in the air with a pair of hooks and a belt.

A job I wouldn't have traded for anything in the world. It was a dream job but very tough at times of extreme weather and working conditions.

Second toughest job was being in engineering/superintendent/management job with calling the shots. A job I loved but tough in the respect of stress from on-the-spot decision making with huge implications from those decisions.

Tough for me but I loved every day of my work.
My great-uncle did that lineman's job in the UP many years ago.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2022, 11:18 AM   #22

What an interesting thread. I am humbled. Reading some of these stories, it occurred to me that, although I have had a few difficult days, I have never had a tough job. I think it has a lot to do with not stretching or challenging myself enough, but I'll save that for the shrink's couch, if I ever have one. I worked for the majority of my career doing voiceover, audio production, and DJ work. It was all pure enjoyment. Getting to see, greet, and briefly spend time with folk like Michael Jackson, James Brown, John Rotten, Neil Diamond, Morrissey, Stevie Wonder, Quentin Tarantino, Seal, Boy George, Horace Silver, Walter Becker, to name a few, was fun. I can't say that any of it was hard though.

I almost feel as if I've missed out, having had fun and fairly cushy jobs for most of my working life. One thing I can say though, is that I always turned up to work on time, and always made my deadlines. Doing what was expected of me, and when it was expected, was always important.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Unrestricted Naval Aviator (Navy helicopter pilot). Working from single spot ships in bad weather and/or at night was challenging as was being deployed for many months.

I mostly loved it. I got to do it for nearly 20 years with a couple short out of the cockpit tours, then spent my last 8 years at various desks in DC, which was not as fun.
rwdflynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
What an interesting thread. I am humbled. Reading some of these stories, it occurred to me that, although I have had a few difficult days, I have never had a tough job. I think it has a lot to do with not stretching or challenging myself enough, but I'll save that for the shrink's couch, if I ever have one. I worked for the majority of my career doing voiceover, audio production, and DJ work. It was all pure enjoyment. Getting to see, greet, and briefly spend time with folk like Michael Jackson, James Brown, John Rotten, Neil Diamond, Morrissey, Stevie Wonder, Quentin Tarantino, Seal, Boy George, Horace Silver, Walter Becker, to name a few, was fun. I can't say that any of it was hard though.

I almost feel as if I've missed out, having had fun and fairly cushy jobs for most of my working life. One thing I can say though, is that I always turned up to work on time, and always made my deadlines. Doing what was expected of me, and when it was expected, was always important.
The media industry is highly competitive. I'm guessing that you had to be hard-nosed to get where you got.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

so many interesting jobs posted here!

My toughest job was first year working out of nursing school. Back then, it was "required" to work at least a year in the hospital, rotating units to get your learning down. My worst rotation was a newly formed Burn Unit. Ugh. Back then, the things we had to do to burn patients seemed barbaric to me and even loaded up on pain meds, could not help but cause more pain to them.
Incredibly, several years ago, I was at that same hospital in the cafeteria and saw a former patient, a firefighter who had been severely burned. He looked pretty darn good, considering. Burn care has come a long way.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
The most physical labor intense job was working as an electrical lineman.
My father was a lineman for P.E.P.Co. (in the Washington, D.C. area). By the time I was old enough to be aware that he had a job he had moved inside to the meter lab, a "9 to 5" job. In my career as a police officer and seeing what those guys did, I thought they had Big Brass Ones.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
My father was a lineman for P.E.P.Co. (in the Washington, D.C. area). By the time I was old enough to be aware that he had a job he had moved inside to the meter lab, a "9 to 5" job. In my career as a police officer and seeing what those guys did, I thought they had Big Brass Ones.
A very rewarding career but can be dangerous as hell! In my early days in the trade, bucket trucks just weren't used. Almost all work was done off of hooks and that meant on outages in storms and at night. I think of the some of those storm jobs today and it gives me the chills. Lol

Some very scary times in the air in the dark and in a storm that I ever want to remember. I lived to be very proud of those times in life, but I can tell you there is no room for error.

Not many people like you, that know it isn't for whimps. Thanks
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #28

My toughest job was working at the CPA firm. I actually got my required work experience auditing for the Government. However, I felt I needed to work at a CPA firm if I was going to call myself a CPA. Well, I'm glad I did, but that was two years of the hardest I've ever worked. It was exciting because I saw so many different business and tax situations. It was also rewarding because I worked with some of the brightest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. In most of the jobs I had, before and after the CPA firm, I felt like I was at least in the top 10% as far as effort I put in and intelligence I brought to the table. At the CPA firm, I was lucky to hold my own. It's the one place I worked where each level above me actually worked harder. Definitely an up or out environment.

With family and other interests I had, it was not a good fit long term, but I'm very glad I did it.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:47 PM   #29

I think mine was as a Field Engineer. I worked for a division of IT&T that provided people all over the world.
My first and longest assignment was in the Far East. I was in Korea, Japan and Okinawa, living out of a suitcase. I remember one night I am on top of a van with the wind blowing off the Yellow Sea, trying to screw something together with numb hands.
Speaking of numb, my next assignment was on the DEW Line on the North Coast of Alaska in the winter.
My last assignment was in Scotland, which I loved. After years in the Far East, with dark hair and blue eyes, I looked like the locals.
I was able to go out on short sailing on 2 nuclear subs, one of which was the SSBN George Washington, which Gumby served on years later.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:28 PM   #30

My favorite job was not tough, and only a part time gig. I towed aerial advertisement in the NW, and got to do as close to barnstorming as was available. The plane was light with no interior and a bigger engine, modified wings for Short Takeoff and Landing (STOL). You could really throw it around the sky.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:00 PM   #31

I started an arborist business last year at age 40. I worked mostly for the tax write-offs but had a lot of fun hanging out with my 70yr old DF. He is excited to get back at it this year. Dangerous as hell. Almost died a couple times. The customer's have been really happy with the work I do. I've gotten quicker with the trade and there are many problems to solve, tactically. Great exercise as well. The problems I don't like tackling are unruly or picky customers (So I have learned to walk away after seeing red flags, inconsistent help or help that isn't efficient or is careless (So I don't bring them back to work with me). The closest call was I had cut a tree down and just a large trunk remained. I made my notch and back cut but the back cut was too low and almost got me. The trunk wasn't "falling" as the notch wasn't deep enough. SO I tried to push on it and still nothing, wasn't going. So I grabbed the bull rope and slung it up and was walking the end of the rope back when I had my back turned before even putting tension on the rope, the tree trunk decided to fall over. Almost crushed myself and the little bobcat my ole man was driving around in. Scary. Also fell about 15ft from a tree, thought on my way down here goes my ankle...somehow landed on my legs but my knee's buckled and I sorta sat down and just fell over from the force of falling. Had an oak tree branch knock me straight on the head, was wearing my helmet and it knocked my glasses straight off my head. Took the customer and I about 30minutes to find the glasses in the brush. I've had such intense weekends of this work that my body was so achy, it was difficult to sleep. Also some nasty brush scratches that kept me awake a couple days from the pain. But I managed to pay for all my gear and net income positive after the first year which is more than most 1st yr businesses. Created a repeatable process that makes prepping for a job and sending bids more enjoyable and less like work..but getting those tree's out of the customer's yard...its work. Discovered I don't like stump grinding and sub that part out.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:27 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Mine was being a lifeguard.
I took all sorts of training for it, and was certified for pools and beaches.

I saved a number of people who would have died, if I had not been there.

Most of the time, is spent watching folks and paying attention, it's not a glamorous job.
That's a very tough job. I think most people don't realize a lot of drowning is silent and not the screaming I need help stuff you see in the movies. It can happen in a matter of seconds.
When I was in highschool we had a swim class with about 20 to 30 kids in the pool at the same time. I jumped in the deeper side probably only 5 to 6 feet deep. I did not swim well. My feet came out from under me and I could not get my head above the water... panicking I guess. It was all silent. Thank goodness a friend noticed and came over and rescued me from myself.
Glad you were there for those you saved...two thumbs up!
2HOTinPHX is offline   Reply With Quote