Towel Day - May 25

I was given the book "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" many years ago.
I tried so hard to read it, but after 3 chapters, I just couldn't get there.
I ended up giving it to a friend at w*rk, who just adored it.
I wonder if it would be worth revisiting now? :rolleyes:

I ended up giving it to a friend at w*rk, who just adored it.
I wonder if it would be worth revisiting now? :rolleyes:

No, dont do it

Towel Day

Interesting tidbit. I will have to drop a reference to Towel Day in casual conversation with my techie son. He will be astounded that something like this rolled off my lips. I have never read the Douglas Adams books. If I showed up with a towel at work, they would direct me to the kitchen to wash the dishes.

I might try going grocery shopping with a towel today, just to see if anyone recognizes the significance.

Yep, I gave it a try, too. I was prepared to enjoy it, as it came highly recommended. It didn't click for me.
Humor is a strange thing, it's very hard to know what a person will think is funny. Look at the individual reactions to Monty Python movies (Aye!), old Jack Benny radio shows (Aye!), Three's Company reruns (Nay!).

I suspect that when computers and robots have taken over every other job, there will still be work for human comedy writers. Irony is going to remain out of the grasp of AI for a long time.

Yep, I gave it a try, too. I was prepared to enjoy it, as it came highly recommended. It didn't click for me.
Humor is a strange thing, it's very hard to know what a person will think is funny. Look at the individual reactions to Monty Python movies (Aye!), old Jack Benny radio shows (Aye!), Three's Company reruns (Nay!).
Yep.

I never "got" Seinfeld. I never "got" Woody Allen. I just never thought they were funny.

And yet there are people who probably love both who don't "get" what I find hilarious -- Monty Python, Mel Brooks, et cetera.

Back
Top Bottom