Tragic loss of eagles in Alaska

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Strange story, but eagles are scavengers, so there you go. I heard an updated story on CNN that there was now 52 dead birds. PETA should have a good time with this one.

KODIAK, Alaska (AP) — At least 19 bald eagles died Friday after gorging themselves on a truck full of fish waste outside a processing plant.
Fifty or more eagles swarmed into the truck, whose retractable fabric cover was open, after the truck was moved outside the plant, said Brandon Saito, a biologist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service who coordinated the recovery operation.

The Associated Press: At Least 19 Bald Eagles Die in Alaska

They are such beautiful birds! When I was an active bird watcher they were my favorite!

In some places in Alaska, like around fish plants and salmon spawning streams, eagles up here are like pigeons down south. Flocks of really really big pigeons that can and have carried off small dogs.
But it's the first time I've heard of a situation like this.
Those people handing the eagles are brave. I've watched a rescued eagle being released from captivity. You have to hold them a certain way so you don't get clawed or bit - those are big birds.

In some places in Alaska, like around fish plants and salmon spawning streams, eagles up here are like pigeons down south.

When I went to Alaska for the first time I stood in awe as I saw a huge bald eagle flying around and swoop in for a landing.

My guide said that the locals just call them buzzards

Maybe some locals, where they are fed, but not me. I never get tired of seeing an eagle, especially when one is soaring overhead.

Back
Top Bottom