Join Early Retirement Today

Transition back to...the office :(
Old 03-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Transition back to...the office :(

Getting pressure and in the news folks have or are transitioning back to office work. Large setting cubicle office work...not single isolated offices.

What say you? Me, I want to stay away from the commute and office. Period.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #2

I think it’s unrealistic to have people going back to an open cubicle office at full capacity until everyone has been vaccinated. I would assume they would require people to wear masks under the current environment. That would seem to make people less productive than working from home where they don’t have to worry about virus transmission.

Many companies are talking about making work from home a permanent solution. Talk to your leadership about the benefits of this and see how responsive they are.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Many companies are talking about making work from home a permanent solution.
Can you name one? And do you mean all workers working from home?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #4

https://www.flexjobs.com/blog/post/c...ork-long-term/

https://smallbiztrends.com/2020/06/w...ly-survey.html
Old 03-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My neighbor is a retired Air Force Colonel--an attorney. He's doing the same job for the Army in retirement. He's only been in the office 2 days in the last year, and says that they may not go back in person until September. He often works late into the night--choosing the hours he works.

But I just don't know how companies can get nearly as much work out of remote employees. So many are still in lock down at home waiting for a company telephone to answer. It would be like in "home detention" having to stay at home all day, every day. Managing remote employees would appear to be difficult too.

Many of my work years were in a high pressure office environment, and we had to make quick minute to minute decisions. We learned how to react to certain situations from others around us. I don't know how remote employees can develop the thought pattern needed to do some jobs not having others around.

My wife's doctor said that no matter what goes on, he'll never go back to 100% person to person medicine--preferring telemedicine much better.

Surely we'll see some level of remote employees in the future. But in many cases, transitioning back to the office will be much more efficient. And many jobs need interaction amongst employees.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #6

Not all workers can work from home. But many can. In the hospital I worked for, most computer issues were handled by phone call. They were all available to come over to help certain issues, but I could see most work from home. Many retail chains have support services who work dealing with issues where they don't need to be in an office all the time. I have a friend/former coworker, a nurse with major issues with her back, who got a job with an insurance company, helping patients access services, and works from home through phone and computer in a dedicated home office system supplied by the company.

Here is a list of companies that have gone to at least partial work from home:

https://buildremote.co/companies/com...e-permanently/

DS has been working from home for a year with his part time job. His best friend went to working from home (computer) and won't be going back into the office ever. Music teachers have found that getting their private students to record their playing has caused their students to improve because they are forced to listen to themselves externally.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #7

I've a government contractor, and most of our offices are 1- or 2-person setups. However, mine is right across from an exit stairwell, and close proximity to a conference room and one of the kitchens. So, a high-traffic area in general. I flat out told my managers it was a COVID cesspool, and I would NOT be returning, to that particular office.

Anyway, it might be a moot point. The last I heard, they're planning to start bringing us back into the office, on a limited basis, sometime in July. But, they're going to revisit that, in April, so it may get pushed back. I have a feeling they're not going to be having fully-staffed offices though, and conference rooms packed to the gills are probably a thing of the past.

Depending on how the stock market and economy are doing, I intend to plan my departure around the time they start bringing us back to the office. After having this year of relative freedom, working from home, I actually get the shakes when I think about returning to the office!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My neighbor is a retired Air Force Colonel--an attorney. He's doing the same job for the Army in retirement. He's only been in the office 2 days in the last year, and says that they may not go back in person until September. He often works late into the night--choosing the hours he works.

But I just don't know how companies can get nearly as much work out of remote employees. So many are still in lock down at home waiting for a company telephone to answer. It would be like in "home detention" having to stay at home all day, every day. Managing remote employees would appear to be difficult too.

Many of my work years were in a high pressure office environment, and we had to make quick minute to minute decisions. We learned how to react to certain situations from others around us. I don't know how remote employees can develop the thought pattern needed to do some jobs not having others around.

My wife's doctor said that no matter what goes on, he'll never go back to 100% person to person medicine--preferring telemedicine much better.

Surely we'll see some level of remote employees in the future. But in many cases, transitioning back to the office will be much more efficient. And many jobs need interaction amongst employees.
I can believe that, though you cannot draw blood or do a physical exam remotely. But you can easily discuss lipid issues. Before I retired, secure system cell phone pictures were used between physicians in different hospitals for a "curbside consult" to determine whether or not an actual consult was needed, and also, if a patient needed to be transferred to a specialty hospital, which is not a small deal. Telemedicine can improve physician's lives. If I could have done some telemedicine long ago, I would not have suffered the burnout of not being able to see my family enough.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #9

One big problem I see with working from home is for new employees. In traditional office setting the new employee has their coworkers to learn from and ask them questions while the new employee is learning the job and the company. No way that can happen if a new employee is at home. That resource is gone. It may be fine for existing employees to work from home that already know the job. But how are new employees going to get trained except for the in-person office?

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #10

Just because we always used to do something a certain way does not mean it’s the only way to do it. Technology continues to advance to make remote workers more productive. Old methods can be replaced with new methods.

There will always be some jobs that require you to be there in person. But many of the jobs that were office based prior to COVID have successfully transitioned to fully productive remote positions.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
One big problem I see with working from home is for new employees. In traditional office setting the new employee has their coworkers to learn from and ask them questions while the new employee is learning the job and the company. No way that can happen if a new employee is at home. That resource is gone. It may be fine for existing employees to work from home that already know the job. But how are new employees going to get trained except for the in-person office?
My first job out of college was a factory cost accountant. I worked at a huge plant but I was the only cost accountant. Even my boss knew almost nothing about the details. My closest peer was at another plant in another city. I was on the phone with him 3-4 times every day with multiple questions. This worked extremely well for me.

That said, it was extremely beneficial for me to be around other people in the factory office, especially process engineers, equipment technicians, and product managers. They helped me learn the technology, the products, and the business. It was this knowledge and visibility that helped grow my career at a rapid pace. I could have been a fine cost accountant working remote for many years. But I don't think my career would have advanced as quickly as it did without the constant interaction with other functional areas and managers. I think that's a bigger problem than just learning the basics of a new job.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I think this really depends on the position. There is a lot of screen sharing and messaging technology that makes training very doable.

I know several people who have started new jobs in the last year working remotely. The learning the job bit has been relatively easy. The harder part has been developing relationships with co-workers to build trust and rapport.

I loved wfh when I was able to do it. That said, it’s very work ethic dependent. I honestly felt like I could’t step away to even go to the bathroom in case someone called while I was away. I didn’t want there to be any concerns about productivity or me doing other things on ‘their’ time, so I probably went overboard.

But I’ve noticed a general decline in professionalism over the last year. I don’t know if it’s more casualness associated with wfh or perhaps COVID fatigue of being an essential worker or always on or people trying to manage kids and work. Probably a mix.

I know people who are antsy to get back but I would guess that a LOT of people are not going to want to go back into the office unless it’s absolutely necessary.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #13

A lot depends on the culture and company leadership. If they want 100% back in office, then it doesn't matter much what your preference is. In many surveys I've seen, the general preference seems to be split the difference: WFH most of the time with office days a couple times per week.

This is a good time to have a chat with your boss if you have a strong preference that differs from theirs, especially if it's evident that your productivity has stayed high. Of course, it's never just you. If the team or company as a whole hasn't managed remote work well, it's likely they just want to solve the problem with geography vs. addressing their lack of management flexibility. And they aren't going to want to make exceptions.

Good employees don't go bad when they WFH. Bad ones, and weak leadership of them, just get exposed.

It does seem odd that an employer is pushing now, in March, rather than setting expectations for a 4Q return to normal.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #14

Quote:
You said "many companies are talking about making work from home a permanent solution." I reviewed the first link you provided and it does not support that statement. Some of the companies listed indicated woking from home was an option for a limited time, through June or July or Labor Day 2021. That's not permanent.

There were a few that indicated working from home was a permanent change, but only for some workers or only for some of the time. In the case of Infosys they will "allow" 35-50 percent to work from home permanently. That does not mean they will, just that they are allowed. In the case of Microsoft it says "employees can work from home approximately 50% of their work week." In the case of Target, employees "can continue to work remotely until June 2021 with plans for a long term hybrid model."

So I don't think the link you provided supports the statement that many companies are making working from home a permanent solution, certainly not for all or even a majority of workers.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
You said "many companies are talking about making work from home a permanent solution." I reviewed the first link you provided and it does not support that statement. Some of the companies listed indicated woking from home was an option for a limited time, through June or July or Labor Day 2021. That's not permanent.

There were a few that indicated working from home was a permanent change, but only for some workers or only for some of the time. In the case of Infosys they will "allow" 35-50 percent to work from home permanently. That does not mean they will, just that they are allowed. In the case of Microsoft it says "employees can work from home approximately 50% of their work week." In the case of Target, employees "can continue to work remotely until June 2021 with plans for a long term hybrid model."

So I don't think the link you provided supports the statement that many companies are making working from home a permanent solution, certainly not for all or even a majority of workers.
This article mentions a few but as you mentioned, the larger the company, the odds are that not all employees would be able to WFH on a permanent basis.

Quote:
Zillow, Twitter, Square, and other companies have also announced that employees could work from home indefinitely.
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/354872
Old 03-22-2021, 10:44 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I am currently working at a vaccination clinic 1-2 days a month. Everyone is masked, and spaced 6 feet apart.
I would feel much better if we could a t least have an open window, but the building is not designed that way.
If I had a set desk area, I would certainly have a small desk air purifier!
But I am walking around checking folks after injection.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post

You asked me to name one company that is moving to permanent work at home solution. I linked you to an article where 13 out of 23 companies mentioned having a permanent work at home solution for either part of all of its workforce. So what is your point?
Old 03-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #18

Quote:
You asked me to name one company that is moving to permanent work at home solution. I linked you to an article where 13 out of 23 companies mentioned having a permanent work at home solution for either part of all of its workforce. So what is your point?
Yes, you did name one, but my point was there are not "many" that are going to a permanent work at home solution, certainly not for all or even a majority of workers, and even for some of the workers it is not 100% of their time, and even for those workers they are being "allowed" to work from home which does not necessarily mean they will.

So while it certainly true that some companies are becoming more flexible about allowing some employees to work from home some of the time, I am not aware of any companies who are permanently requiring all employees to work from home all of the time.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

My megacorp just made an announcement last week. They will begin re-opening offices after July 4th but only a little at a time. They said people can come back at their own pace/comfort level. Long-term my department is expected to have a hybrid model of 3 days in the office, 2 days remote but they haven't indicated how they will implement it (e.g. everyone picks their own schedule or if its mandated by department). They will let some work from home permanently but we'll see.

I too would like to ditch the commute (45 min each way) and like working from home but my boss is Type A and is likes everyone if the office from 9-5.

I am only planning to work 1-2 more years so not sure if its worth making a stink over trying to remain work from home, or just go with the flow until I check out permanently. I'll have to stare at the numbers later this year and see how they roll out the return to office.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #20

Most of DW's crew works remote. She won't go back, if they force her to she'll pull the trigger.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote