Join Early Retirement Today

travel planning map
Old 12-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

travel planning map

I like Google maps, but there is a limit to the number of cities one can list for a route. I have googled, but don't seem to find anything that looks as good and I'm not interested in the one that constantly want to book hotel rooms for you.

Looking for any suggestions - TIA.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I use “my maps” in google maps. It’s an account based amped up version of Google Maps. It has some limitations also, but it may work for you.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Like Ronstar, I've used "My Maps" from Google. I access it through Google Drive. Click "New", then click MORE then click Google My Maps.

Here's an example of the route map I put together for our trip across Europe last summer:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M2...08&usp=sharing
Old 12-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Mapquest.com has a pretty good multi-stop route planner with selectable options (shortest distance or time, allow app to re-order stops or not, round trip or not). Once you’ve created a route you like, it can be sent to the mapquest mobile app for voice navigation and/or printing.
MacsNMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #5

Thank you!

I'm getting the hang of My Maps in Google and I'll check out the Mapquest also.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Thank you!

I'm getting the hang of My Maps in Google and I'll check out the Mapquest also.
The My Maps interface is a little clunkier but it's more robust in terms of designing a more detailed map vs. the regular google maps. For example, we had to re-route the 2nd half of the trip as we deleted a few stops along the route, so I was able to make the original route inactive by unchecking the box, and copy that layer to a new layer so I could modify it with the new routing. That way, if I decided to revert back to a previous version of the map I can simply select the previous routing to make it active/visible.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I also use Ortelius by Mapdiva for creating static maps, adding attractions, etc. I like to have attractions, roads, mass transit, etc - all of my trip research info all on one map
Attached Images
File Type: jpg london.jpg (809.9 KB, 28 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #8

Do you know it?

Can't remember the name of a map program? or an app? I once saw that would pop up nearby sight-seeing suggestions near your route. You could make specify the number of miles from your route to explore choices. The suggestions would have small photos that popped up to show various suggestions. Can't remember if it was for Mac OSX or iOS (iPhone, iPad).

Anybody seen it?
Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #9

I think I found it again - seems like someone on the forum suggested it. It's RoadTrippers.com and there is an app as well. Thanks!