Travelling in Florida with your Dog???

Maximillion

Full time employment: Posting here.
A recent visit to Florida with our 6 pound Yorkshire Terrier was quite an eye opener.

Each Hotel/Motel we stayed at, if they allowed dogs, charged extra, one charged $150 extra, regardless of how many nights you stayed..

I tried umpteen times to rent a house for a month that would allow animals, finally gave up, was told they are booked a year ahead.

Dogs are not allowed on most Beaches or in most parks, some are available but you really have to hunt for them.

We were pretty ticked at Florida, I was going to write to Jeb Bush and complain, untill we visited a Beach Area on Honey Moon Island set aside for dogs.

Beautiful little stretch, bags were available so you could clean up after your animal, but the thoughtless actions of some had poop all over the place.

I understand why Dogs must be restricted, a few idiots have spoiled it for the rest of us.

Sorry Florida didn't match your tastes. Maybe next time go a little further south past Florida. I hear they love dog in Cuba. ;)

That's what you get for travelling in "America's Wang."

Seriously, this is a major problem for us as well, and makes me want to seriously consider an RV in a few years if we have the time to do much travelling.

Maximillion said:
A recent visit to Florida with our 6 pound Yorkshire Terrier was quite an eye opener.

Must be a regional thing. Tampa has several great dog parks. The beaches at Ft. Desoto are among the very best in the country and parts are set aside for dogs (as well as a big dog run). There is even a dog park with its own beach at Davis Islands.

There is a book or web site somewhere listing dog-friendly motels and destinations. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

With our RV, trips to Florida have worked fine with the dogs. The Florida state park web site tells you which parks allow dogs and which do not.

Private campgrounds in Florida generally allow dogs. Disney even allowed dogs. :)

justin, as expected, and yes we heard about the park in Desoto, that is my point, there are about a half dozen parks that are dog friendly between Sarasota and Hudson, you have to seek them out.

Justin, my point, obviously lost on you, is that some Dog Owners have ruined things for others by being irresponsible.

Cuba is great to visit, been there many times, very friendly people , wonderful Beaches.

Yes, some lazy dog owners do make it harder for the rest of us! Recently we stayed in a place that allowed dogs, but it had fleas. The dogs were ok because they had frontline on, the fleas got DH and me! Also, people who don't pick up after their dogs also put other dogs at risk of parasites, etc.

La Quinta Inns take dogs and they don't charge extra (at least the ones we've stayed in so far). There is a website: Petswelcome.com that list lots of inns, campgrounds, etc that take dogs and their policies.

Maximillion said:
Justin, my point, obviously lost on you, is that some Dog Owners have ruined things for others by being irresponsible.

Cuba is great to visit, been there many times, very friendly people , wonderful Beaches.

Hey, buddy, I was joking with you. I couldn't agree more about some dog owners ruining it for the responsible dog owners. I can't stand dogs leaving piles of poop on the sidewalk or in my yard. If I go to a hotel, I don't want it to smell like musty wet dog or have dog hair everywhere, or have fleas in the room.

Re: Cuba - I wish I could visit. Due to my citizenship it is unlikely to happen soon.

HFWR said:
JG doesn't mind if your dogs poops in his yard... :p

I dont think we ever established that. All we learned was it was ok with him if his dog pooped in other peoples yards and at the park, and that leashing his dogs wasnt fun for him, so he let them run free and bug other people.

But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...

I love dogs, but these things (travel, off-limits places) are on the list of things that I look at whenever I think about how much fun it would be to have a dog again.

TromboneAl said:
I love dogs
Same here, but if I ever get maudlin enough about it I'll sign up at the Humane Society again as a volunteer.

When our bunny goes to his great reward, we're done. Ideally he'll choose the week before our kid goes away to college. Four more years!

Nords, that is what we thoufght and in spite of all coomon sense after being dog free for 5 years, we bought again.

He is fun, entertaining, forces me to walk him 4 times a day, no regrets.

Maximillion said:
Each Hotel/Motel we stayed at, if they allowed dogs, charged extra, one charged $150 extra, regardless of how many nights you stayed..

Yikes, wouldn't a kennel have been cheaper?

I'm really not picking on you, Max. I've just never understood why folks want to bring the dog along on vacation (unless you're planning on staying several months.)

BTW, how were the spring training games?

VoyT, My wife would not kennel him for a month, saw a couple of games, would have been better if we had won.

thumbing thru my the florida dog lover's companion by sally deneen & robert mcclure, foghorn press

checking amazon.com...there's a new version called the dog lover's companion to florida : the inside scoop on where to take your dog in florida

I would love to take our dog with us to FL, finding places to stay is no worry but the minute the idiot stepped on the sand spur it would be all over, he'd never set foot outside again.

Outtahere said:
I would love to take our dog with us to FL,  finding places to stay is no worry but the minute the idiot stepped on the sand spur it would be all over, he'd never set foot outside again.

just lick your fingers before you pull at them and they won't go into your skin.

Maximillion said:

Wow. We must stay at different motels. Most Motel 6's allow 1 dog per room at
no charge. Officially it has to be a fairly small dog, but if it looks quiet and well
behaved they have let much larger dogs stay. My experiences have been in
the SouthWest, however.

Maximillion said:
Nords, that is what we thoufght and in spite of all coomon sense after being dog free for 5 years, we bought again.
Absolutely. No. Freakin. Way.

Spouse, however, is free to do whatever she wants after I go to my great reward!

Back
Top Bottom