Travelocity's travel protection plan

Helen

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I booked two flights last month through Travelocity. I received my credit card statement last night and saw an extra $49.90 charge in addition to my tickets. So I logged onto Travelocity and saw that I had purchased a travel protection plan for each ticket.

I looked online and discovered they had changed the default to select the travel protection. :mad: It was my fault for not paying closer attention, but I think it is pretty slimey of them.

I sent them an email stating that I thought was they did was pretty low and I would never book a flight through them again. Here is their justification for the new default setting:

Please note that we have made this recent change to the website of auto selection of insurance after receiving many feedbacks from our customers. At the time of booking reservation online passengers used to forget to buy insurance for their trip and which we are unable to add it after the trip is booked. Therefore, it is by default selected which you need to remove when you review the reservation and the pricing on the Review Page. If you keep it and later enter your credit card details, you will be charged for the same.

OK, that was really insulting. I don't for a minute believe they were getting loads of complaints because people forgot to buy the insurance. This may help their bottom line in the short run, but I'll bet most everyone else who is bit by this will feel the same way I do.

-helen

This would really frost me. In fact, I would not stop with this insulting email, I'd pursue it higher on principle.

Thanks for the tip. I will likely look at other options before Travelocity in future.

You might like to check out a site called Sidestep for airline tickets. My SIL uses that site and likes it, although I have not.

I will agree... this is a cheap way to trick people IMO....

If you want insurance, click the box that you want it... I should NOT have to click a box saying I do not want something...

Did you ask for your money back:confused: I would call my CC company and dispute the charge... I might lose it in the end, but I would make them work to get it...

That is truly annoying. What else might they try to sneak through--prepaid car rentals if you don't uncheck the box?

I found this story about this slimy little trick that Travelocity says they are changing: Travelocity mandatory fee

It says you can get a refund, Helen (good luck with that, since the person you contacted didn't mention it):

“Travelocity has always clearly identified where customers can opt out of its Travel Protection offering in the checkout path. Should, however, a customer overlook it they can receive a refund by calling us before their trip. We are currently in the process of enhancing our checkout path and by early next year purchasing Travel Protection will change from an opt out to an opt in.” – Joel Frey, Travelocity spokesperson

We are currently in the process of enhancing our checkout path and by early next year purchasing Travel Protection will change from an opt out to an opt in
:2funny:

By early next year....WTF!

We should send them some feedbacks.

Hmm... I also buy my own travel insurance. My main fear is having to pay tens of thousands of dollars to be emergency evacuated. So, I pay about $230 a year for emergency evacuation from anywhere in the world to my local hospital. And, sometimes, $30 a trip for medical costs I might incur when away from home. I don't buy the trip cancellation, lost luggage, etc. I can self insure the smaller expense.

That is truly annoying. What else might they try to sneak through--prepaid car rentals if you don't uncheck the box?

I found this story about this slimy little trick that Travelocity says they are changing: Travelocity mandatory fee

It says you can get a refund, Helen (good luck with that, since the person you contacted didn't mention it):

The trick in getting the refund is that you have to know you bought the insurance so you can cancel the insurance three days before your trip. Most people won't know they bought the insurance until they see the extra charge on their credit statement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom