Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Those prices make you appreciate boondocking on the parking lots at Walmarts and Cracker Barrell Old Country Stores.

Our Northeast Georgia campground is in the valley below the Appalachian Trail, and we're just spoiled to superior facilities. And for $425 a year, we can camp 14 nights per month for free.

We seldom travel in our fifth wheel.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

We used to have a truck camper on the back of a pick-up for camping. RVs with 'neighbors' 8 ft away was not not to my liking. The ground clearance of the 4WD got me in to the places I liked. Traveling around with the all of the most important comforts was great.

Do it again? Sure. The new porta-potties are easy to keep clean and odor free. I would need enough height to stand inside, and would trick it out. I could do that for a few months or longer. That would be for fun. With financial incentives to be able to FI early, yes, if I was single.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:38 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a 11.5ft truck camper with a full bathroom, generator, air conditioning, kitchen. He stayed at work for a week or so at a time when it was too far from home for what he needed. Fine for one person and camping for a week is fine but I couldn't live in it. We have two houses for two people, I visit his house about half the time but love going home to be alone. A camper or van would be too cosy.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:51 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

During the 70s we would spend a month at a time traveling in a VW bus I set up for sleeping. Put aside $400 for all expenses including gas to see us through the month. Stealth parked at Holiday Inn or Howard Johnsons since they had pools for our pseudo bath, ate at "all you can eat" salad bars for $1.99 or made peanut butter sandwiches. Put up a tent occasionally. Saw a lot of the country in those days on our low income. Recently we thought about getting a 25 ft Class C diesel but after considering the cost of the RV, fuel, camp ground fees, and my physical condition these days I think I'll just stick with the memories.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
living in a van full time is totally different than what the wife and i do. we have been know to sleep in as tent for 30 days straight. out of 10 years we may have slept in a hotel a dozen times. we prefer stars, fires, meeting people...none of that in a hotel room. sorry for the thread jack.
We went on the road for 3 weeks a half dozen years ago. Half-time in AUS and NZ. No hotels at all. The cost was probably equivalent to staying in hotels, since the vans were rented. I can't recall the total cost, but it was over $100 per day. We usually paid very little overnight, staying in public facilities, or a bit nicer when we wanted to shower. Kinda get used to that grime...
We've had quite a few great vacations, and this was certainly one of them.
Future desire is to do this in the US for at least 3 months continuously, as a break between working and retirement. See as much as possible, stay with old friends, meet new ones.
This is not something most people would want to do, I'll admit.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
This isn't a new concept - but it is trending.

When I was in high school one of my dad's friends had a son going to UCSD. He lived in a camper van/PU in the student parking lot. He kept his camper in the lot near the gym/pool... and used the showers associated with the pool. Campus police tried to hassle him about it -but the parking permit didn't limit the hours and there were no posted signs forbidding overnight parking. They couldn't really ban overnight parking since the library was open 24 hours. The son of my dad's friend ended up graduating with zero debt. Probably because his rent was parking permit he purchased each quarter.
That was exactly the plan I very seriously considered when going to University. Nice to hear someone really did it.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Another thing I have noticed, for those who like to stay in private RV parks and not take advantage of the Army Corp managed parks, is that the monthly rate is usually about the same as 12 to 15 days. I am looking right now at a beach front park on the gulf of Mexico and it is $40 a night or $495 for a monthly rental.

For those doing this full time with no house, perhaps staying a month in each location would greatly reduce the expenses (save on gas too). And really, a month is not a very long time to explore an area. We spent 20 years in Washington state and still did not see everything.
Did you use this site: Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov
Or some other site to find the engineers managed parks ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Did you use this site: Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov
Or some other site to find the engineers managed parks ?

This site: www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway

Although the recreation.gov site is sometimes where you go if you want to make a reservation ahead of time. We usually just show up mid week and choose a walk in spot.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

There is only one in our entire state and no electric.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #70

DH and I have considered getting a travel trailer or van conversion - especially once the kids are launched.... but everything we've looked at would be a head-banging experience for 6'4" DH.

Since he's the chief cook (and I'm the chief bottle washer) - it kind of negates the usefulness of the kitchen if the cook can't stand up straight.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
DH and I have considered getting a travel trailer or van conversion - especially once the kids are launched.... but everything we've looked at would be a head-banging experience for 6'4" DH.

Since he's the chief cook (and I'm the chief bottle washer) - it kind of negates the usefulness of the kitchen if the cook can't stand up straight.
If you are interested in a small fiberglass camper trailer, the Parkliner is 6'5" tall inside. Similarly the Egg Camper is 6'7" tall inside. Both were designed by tall men.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #72
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

Living in our RV down by the river is tough. I mean it is a grueling 60 foot walk to our sailboat and the park only has 550 acres for walking around. It gets expensive too at $9 a night which only includes water, electricity, sewer, internet, lawn maintenance, security. I also feel a bit bad I am not able to support the local government with property tax.

Good for you !

The older I get... the more attractive that sounds... but the less I would be able to adjust.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #73
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

I dream about van and RV living too.

However, not once have I fantasized about sh*tting in a bucket. Each to his own though

In my 20s I lived with my four year old son for six months in an old farmhouse that had no bathroom [until my dad was able to put in a septic tank and build a bathroom.]

It was amazing how well I adjusted to using an outhouse, an indoor portable potty and a zinc bathtub in the kitchen.

Decades before, my grandparents [who had a farm nearby] had lived without electricity.

Today, we are all very spoiled.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
In my 20s I lived with my four year old son for six months in an old farmhouse that had no bathroom [until my dad was able to put in a septic tank and build a bathroom.]

I once (just once) helped my grandfather dig up his old outhouse from his parent's farm and then relocate it to his farm. Not sure what his fascination with outhouses was, but he loved using that thing. I guess indoor plumbing was kind of strange to him since he grew up peeing on trees and pooping far away from the house.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I dream about van and RV living too.

However, not once have I fantasized about sh*tting in a bucket. Each to his own though
Finding myself without indoor plumbing or any hope of obtaining it soon, is probably the ONLY thing that would send me back to work. I simply refuse to live without plumbing. We're not animals!

I think indoor plumbing is the absolute pinnacle of all the many accomplishments from thousands of years of building Western civilization. Plentiful running water that is safe to drink is not far behind.

(yes, I am a city girl... )

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The ancient Greek civilization of Crete, known as the Minoan civilization, was the first civilization to use underground clay pipes for sanitation and water supply. Their capital, Knossos, had a well-organized water system for bringing in clean water, taking out waste water and storm sewage canals for overflow when there was heavy rain. It was also one of the first uses of a flush toilet, dating back to 18th century BC.
I saw that system in some ruins we visited over there years ago, and thought that those ancients sure had their heads screwed on right. They knew what was important, that is.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #76
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

I once (just once) helped my grandfather dig up his old outhouse from his parent's farm and then relocate it to his farm. Not sure what his fascination with outhouses was, but he loved using that thing. I guess indoor plumbing was kind of strange to him since he grew up peeing on trees and pooping far away from the house.

Adversity can be a good thing.

Before me, my brother had lived in that same old 'no bathroom' farmhouse while he attended the nearby university. He received his PhD [graduated with no debt] and became a NASA scientist. While creating his Apollo lunar receiving lab, he learned how to blow glass to get needed special size test tubes. Blowing his own test tubes was to him a small matter.