Trial of the year over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt. Not sure if this is an allowable "topic". Seemed open/closed case IMHO but apparently a week long trial was needed.

OJ Simpson was on trial again?? And this time he was found guilty?!?

No idea what "trial of the year" refers to. And I'm an avid news watcher.

OK...I googled "trial". Lots of stories including the police officer.

Why is this important to you?

Probably doesn't much. Seemed like a lengthy trial. Not sure if that cheating celeb had her day in court yet. That one will likely be 'bigger' sensational news. That's it.

On an aside, I've lived in apartments...been totally plastered, and I still know which floor is mine. I may have been confused with which hotel door was mine before though. So plausible, I guess.

OJ Simpson was on trial again?? And this time he was found guilty?!?

No idea what "trial of the year" refers to. And I'm an avid news watcher.

I saw a white bronco once...plate said "NotOj" Maybe it was this forum that posted it 'can't recall.' :confused:

I've gotten disoriented in apartments that have parking garages worked into their design. Sometimes, the staggered design of the garage doesn't quite jive up with the floors of the apartment the way you think it would, so it's easy to get confused.

But, I've also never lived in an apartment before, only visited. I'm sure that if you lived in one, you'd get used to the layout pretty quickly, and it would become ingrained in your mind.

Probably doesn't much. Seemed like a lengthy trial. Not sure if that cheating celeb had her day in court yet. That one will likely be 'bigger' sensational news. That's it.

On an aside, I've lived in apartments...been totally plastered, and I still know which floor is mine. I may have been confused with which hotel door was mine before though. So plausible, I guess.

I was surprised by the verdict.

I plead guilty to walking into the wrong bathroom before at w*rk. Luckily, it was empty and when I realized there weren't any urinals, I sprinted out. The office building decided to put the men/women bathrooms at the same location on alternating floors. So, stepping off on the wrong floor not paying attention led to the mistake.

Does seem plausible to me, that in this case, a person could think someone was in "her" apartment only seeing a door slightly open.

End result is this case tragic no matter what. Lots of lives destroyed.

I have lived in apartments and you know which is yours and recognize your furniture. I think the verdict is correct.

I was surprised by the verdict.

I plead guilty to walking into the wrong bathroom before at w*rk. Luckily, it was empty and when I realized there weren't any urinals, I sprinted out. The office building decided to put the men/women bathrooms at the same location on alternating floors. So, stepping off on the wrong floor not paying attention led to the mistake.

Does seem plausible to me, that in this case, a person could think someone was in "her" apartment only seeing a door slightly open.

End result is this case tragic no matter what. Lots of lives destroyed.
A guy who w*rked with me went to the restroom at a client site. As he was in a stall he realized there were no urinals and the outside door had just opened. Turned out the facilities had been repurposed and what was F turned into M..

Friend of mine lives in these apartments and they are confusing. The defense was able to find something like ~50 other residents that had gone to the wrong apartment before since living there. Amazingly, of those ~50, none of them felt the need to kill the person that was in their own apartment.

Correct verdict IMO.

Why should we google it? Why can't you tell us? Stop making this sound like a TV news teaser.

+1

I think we need a lawyer's input here.
IMO, she (the police officer) is certainly guilty of *something*. But is it "murder"?

As far as we know (I'm assuming here, I have not followed the story that closely), she did not know this man, and meant no ill will towards him. So I don't think that rises to the level of "murder", I think it is more like "manslaughter"?

Now I sure want our armed law enforcement officers to use more discretion before unloading their weapon. So she certainly made a very, very big mistake here, and it cost an innocent man his life. It's a tragedy all around.

So to me (again, not a lawyer) there is a big difference between taking a premeditated action against someone with the intent to kill them and carrying it out, and making a (admittedly, very *BIG*) mistake, and killing someone.

Some cops do find themselves in positions where they could be in danger in a second. Any traffic stop could be some bad guy with something to hide and he has a gun. So that could have an effect on your view of any situation.

That doesn't alleviate her of wrongdoing, but I think if you "walk a mile in those shoes", you might understand that it could happen as a result of over-reaction, not with bad intent.

Seems like a big difference to me, not sure what the courts say (I'll look up "manslaughter" next.

-ERD50

Last edited:

What's with all the obfuscation? I have no idea what "cheating celeb" you are talking about, took a guess at the other, but why not just spit it out? What's up?

:facepalm:

-ERD50

The prosecution was going to charge the policewoman with manslaughter, but the public was outraged and wanted her tried for murder. I guess people did not want her to get off too easily with this stupid mistake. And the jury also found her guilty of the charge.

I don't think the woman intended to commit murder. It is still hard to believe she walked into someone else's apartment, and shot the homeowner while he was sitting on his sofa eating ice cream. Was the victim sofa's the same as hers? Were the furniture and decoration the same? It is so bizarre.

PS. A manslaughter conviction usually comes with a 2-year prison term. For murder, the minimum is 5 years, according to info on the Web.

Last edited:
+1

I think we need a lawyer's input here.
IMO, she (the police officer) is certainly guilty of *something*. But is it "murder"?

As far as we know (I'm assuming here, I have not followed the story that closely), she did not know this man, and meant no ill will towards him. So I don't think that rises to the level of "murder", I think it is more like "manslaughter"?

Now I sure want our armed law enforcement officers to use more discretion before unloading their weapon. So she certainly made a very, very big mistake here, and it cost an innocent man his life. It's a tragedy all around.

So to me (again, not a lawyer) there is a big difference between taking a premeditated action against someone with the intent to kill them and carrying it out, and making a (admittedly, very *BIG*) mistake, and killing someone.

I agree that I'm surprised it was murder instead of manslaughter. BUT, the fact that she was a police officer is totally irrelevant. She was not on duty - she was a civilian who killed a person.

EDIT - oh, and naked links are bad enough, but naked non-links are worse.

Last edited:
I did not follow closely but thought it should be manslaughter. I can only assume the facts showed it was not accidental.

EDIT - oh, and naked links are bad enough, but naked non-links are worse.

Hey, what did you guys think of the game of the year the other day You know, the one where two teams played and one team beat the other team. Maybe in overtime. I cant remember.

I am not a lawyer. From my copy of Black's Law Dictionary:

There are three types of manslaughter.

a) involuntary manslaughter: homicide in which there is no intention to kill or do grievous bodily harm, but that is committed with criminal negligence or during the commission of a crime not included within the felony-murder rule.

b) misdemeanor manslaughter: unintentional homicide that occurs during the commission of a misdemeanor (such as a traffic violation).

c) involuntary manslaughter: an act of murder reduced to manslaughter because of extenuating circumstances such as adequate provocation or diminished capacity.

Murder is defined as the killing of human being with malice aforethought. This dictionary describes about a dozen different flavors of murder.

Definition of aforethought: previously in mind : premeditated, deliberate with malice.

---------

Watching the news last night, they showed a video of the trial where the defendant was asked if she intended to kill the victim when she shot him. She very clearly said yes she did.

She might not have had previously planned to kill the victim, but at the moment of the shooting, killing the victim was clearly her intent.

I suspect that this played a large role in the jury convicting her of murder and not manslaughter.

Hey, what did you guys think of the game of the year the other day You know, the one where two teams played and one team beat the other team. Maybe in overtime. I cant remember.

Google "game"...

Watching the news last night, they showed a video of the trial where the defendant was asked if she intended to kill the victim when she shot him. She very clearly said yes she did.

She might not have had previously planned to kill the victim, but at the moment of the shooting, killing the victim was clearly her intent.

I suspect that this played a large role in the jury convicting her of murder and not manslaughter.

That was a Perry Mason moment. After crying in tears, she said that she intended to kill the victim rather than saying she shot in what she was thinking as self-defense.

That was a Perry Mason moment. After crying in tears, she said that she intended to kill the victim rather than saying she shot in what she was thinking as self-defense.

Yeah, tell me about it...my first instinct would be to say "My only thought was that my life was in danger, and I had to survive, no matter what." Said with tears, of course, and a little bit of shakiness in the voice.

Telling him to freeze and calling for backup would have avoided this entire tragedy. Getting convicted of manslaughter means she might have been out in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom