trimming toe nails

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Even if my feet are not on FIRE, I hope the following is a practical topic. As you age, how do you trim the nails on your own toes? I've found such trimming slowly becoming more difficult, if I hope to accomplish it in a pain-free manner, that is. Less vision and less flexibility are the culprits. I can still trim the nails myself, but I can imagine eventually not being able to, at least with typical toe nail clippers.

More men should explore getting pedicures. Not kidding.

You'll enjoy it much more than you think. If married, go with your wife - make it a date - it's great pampering for you both.
They'll help get rid of callouses and other stuff too, and get your nails not just short but well groomed. (no accidentally ripping the sheets or stabbing your partner at the worst time either)

Seconding what Aerides said.

I often see men getting pedicures, especially when I'm in Florida for the season. No one pays any attention to the fact that they are men.

After soaking your feet, they don't only trim your nails, they get rid of those nasty callouses on feet/heels. And some places even massage your lower legs and feet after a hot towel is applied for a few minutes.

Anecdote: Back when I was working, a 40-some-year-old guy in my department was gifted a pedicure by his family/kids. Once he got over his fear of going, he got his pedicure. He would often say, "A pedicure is better than sex". YMMV :LOL:

I know of a former nurse who has a business where she goes to people's homes to trim their toenails. She also looks for evidence of possible diabetes and other medical issues she might spot and advises them on care. Because of this, somehow it's covered under possibly insurance/medicare? I don't recall the specific details.

omni

Last edited:
I’ve been considering having someone do them. I’m still flexible enough, but I just can’t see. Worse is that I have some neuropathy so I can’t feel my feet well. This has lead to a few cuts that were way too short. Aerides has a good point, but my issues show up while putting on socks. Snagged a few pairs recently.

My mom had very little vision in her old age, so I trimmed her toenails almost monthly for her last ten years. She had me let her know an hour or two before I came over so she could soak her feet in a pan of warm water. That seemed to be a good idea because it softened the nails and made them easier to deal with. A couple of them were incredibly thick.

It's still easy enough for me, although I put my readers on to do it.

My podiatrist does this at their office for $10, for patients. I've only had her do surgery on my foot, but when I can no longer reach, she'll be getting $10 from me on a regular basis.

I've had an infection from a salon pedicure, and now that I've had knee replacement, that's no longer an option.

Seconding what Aerides said.

I often see men getting pedicures, especially when I'm in Florida for the season. No one pays any attention to the fact that they are men.

After soaking your feet, they don't only trim your nails, they get rid of those nasty callouses on feet/heels. And some places even massage your lower legs and feet after a hot towel is applied for a few minutes.

Anecdote: Back when I was working, a 40-some-year-old guy in my department was gifted a pedicure by his family/kids. Once he got over his fear of going, he got his pedicure. He would often say, "A pedicure is better than sex". YMMV [emoji23]

I know of a former nurse who has a business where she goes to people's homes to trim their toenails. She also looks for evidence of possible diabetes and other medical issues she might spot and advises them on care. Because of this, somehow it's covered under possibly insurance/medicare? I don't recall the specific details.

omni
Years ago DW owned a nail business. When she gave me my first pedicure I said it was better than sex too. Most of her clients were female so I wasn't jealous.

Yes, it's always good to wear eye protection when flying objects are expected!:)
If readers don't help and flying objects are a concern, here's another option

When mom lived in a retirement community she said her friends were incredibly jealous when they learned about my regular nail trimming visits. She always told me I could make a fortune by simply setting up a chair in the lobby.

Years ago she used to get regular trims from a nearby podiatrist that were paid for by Medicare, but Medicare dropped that coverage a long time ago (in the 90s, I think).

I'm a man and I get mani/pedi's with my wife. No color on my fingernails, but tend to let my freak flag fly with nail polish colors for my feet. Currently sporting blue polish. Oddly enough, I get a lot of compliments on my colored toenails from just about every woman that sees them.

Can these places handle a little fungus and thickening? Or will they turn you away?

Can these places handle a little fungus and thickening? Or will they turn you away?

Perhaps call a nearby place? I don't have that issue, so I can't advise you. (I do know that they sometimes use an electric nail file, similar to a Dremel tool, that allows them to 'shape' a thicker nail.)

FWIW, for a nail fungus, soaking for 15 -30 min./day in vinegar will eradicate the fungus.

omni

DM has a podiatrist cut them. It's covered by Medicare.
Her podiatrist retired and we found her one that comes to her home to do it.

Well this thread got gross fast.

Fungus, thickening, dremel tools? I think more of my fellow men need to be joining me at the nail salon!

I'm a man and I get mani/pedi's with my wife. No color on my fingernails, but tend to let my freak flag fly with nail polish colors for my feet. Currently sporting blue polish. Oddly enough, I get a lot of compliments on my colored toenails from just about every woman that sees them.

I've seen a few guys with "manly" colors on their toe nails. It looked nice, as their feet had been groomed and looked good.

(Conversely, in warm-weather places where everyone sports sandals, I've seen some very groady-looking men's feet that are just crying for a pedicure.)

omni

Last edited:

Never been a problem for me. They don't bat an eye - just get their dremel out and smooth them down :cool: Seriously.

Oh and for any men who aren't comfortable with the color - that's totally optional - you don't even need any coat at all.

If your feet are particularly rough they'll just break out the cheese grater. Most places are going to have totally sterile packs of instruments fresh for each customer, and liners on the foot baths. Don't go for the cheapest place in town, and don't go for the one that stinks of chemicals either.

Find somewhere in the middle - ask your wife or your barber/stylist if you're totally not sure of a good place, but yelp and all them are going to have reviews on anywhere these days so it's easy enough to vet somewhere decent.

Last edited:
My podiatrist does this at their office for $10, for patients. I've only had her do surgery on my foot, but when I can no longer reach, she'll be getting $10 from me on a regular basis.

This is what my Dad did for several years...as a matter of fact, one of his last doctor appointments before he passed was for this very service. Even though we knew he wouldn't be around too much longer, he wanted to hold up "his end" of the bargain. It was sad in some respects, but he was able to give his friends a last goodbye and it was very humbling and sweet.

But pedicures? My DW has taken me a couple of times and it was misery for me. Cheese grater on my heels? Scraping the cuticles and mashing them into oblivion? And tickling!!! Oh the tickle!!! Hell on earth as far as I am concerned. :LOL:

Even if my feet are not on FIRE, I hope the following is a practical topic. As you age, how do you trim the nails on your own toes? I've found such trimming slowly becoming more difficult, if I hope to accomplish it in a pain-free manner, that is. Less vision and less flexibility are the culprits. I can still trim the nails myself, but I can imagine eventually not being able to, at least with typical toe nail clippers.

At age 71, I have no problem at all trimming my toenails, putting my socks on, tying my shoes, and so on.

Even the morning after my total knee replacement surgery, I had no problem doing these things. I put my own New Balance shoes on and tied them myself right there in my hospital bed.

Probably it has something to do with my basic body geometry but for me it's simple. From what I am reading here, I am pretty lucky.

Just asked DW if she would want to cut my toenails.

"No way!" She shook her head. "Too gross. No way. I wouldn't even want to do your fingernails."

Just asked DW if she would want to cut my toenails.

"No way!" She shook her head. "Too gross. No way. I wouldn't even want to do your fingernails."

I agree . I was a Rn for forty years and I did a lot of gross things but I draw the line at toenails .

A
Even the morning after my total knee replacement surgery, I had no problem doing these things. I put my own New Balance shoes on and tied them myself right there in my hospital bed.

Probably it has something to do with my basic body geometry but for me it's simple. From what I am reading here, I am pretty lucky.
\

One of my recent victories was being able to once again sit down and reach my shoes so I could tie them. Trimming toenails is next. But, I have never been very limber and have long legs.

One of my recent victories was being able to once again sit down and reach my shoes so I could tie them. Trimming toenails is next. But, I have never been very limber and have long legs.
See, that's exactly what it is. I am reasonably limber according to one of my physical therapists. Also I have short legs and long arms, so my toenails are just right there at my fingertips. I guess I won the genetic lottery for toenail clipping. :D

For a guy, I've been blessed with nice looking feet and toenails. Nothing gross about them at all. I occasionally even get compliments on my feet. I say Thanks, but it's one of those things I've had since birth, so I just assumed all guys were similar. Judging by the way women talk, maybe not.

Anyway, I will be 56 next month and have no problems trimming my own nails. I've always been flexible so I can easily pull my feet up in my chair or something to reach them. I don't wear glasses, but my close-up vision is starting to decline. Thankfully I don't have to get my feet that close so I can see the nails fine. Though honestly, I think I trim as much by feel as I do by sight. I don't have any calluses or rough spots that would require treatment at a spa. I'll save that money for something I enjoy more.

My wife is 51 and already complains about not being able to see her toenails to trim them (she has very cute size 5 feet too). She doesn't have my flexibility and her eyesight is worse. She still trims her own nails, but I'm guessing she will need to have them done by someone in a few years.

My mom is 73 and is unable to trim her own toe nails. My wife trimmed them a few times, but isn't able to visit regularly. So Mom started having the traveling foot doctor trim them at her assisted living. $40 every 2-3 months.

Back
Top Bottom